Live Aboard

zimadog

• 4 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 2/3/2024 at 4:00 PM, zimadog said:

I think I would love to live aboard a series of ships for the next 8 years.  Comments anyone?

I've done some b2bs and one thing I didnt like was you start to get to know and like some of the pax and then the next week it's all over again. I'm solo. Maybe if I was a couple I'd like this more but I didnt like just getting to make friends and then they get off and you start over the next week.

Also I'd get tired of the same food. I know people hate carnival but that's why out of texas I started to do both, for variety in menus. You get to memorizing the menu nightly. I did a 14 day carnival journey cruise last January and really enjoyed the change in dinner menus. 14 days of new menus nightly.

And changing ships like you mention ... out of any port there are limited choices. Are you going to pressure yourself to get from south florida to tampa or port Canaveral in a day after debarking. Some times ships arrive late. Fog ..one night my ship had to do a rescue at sea about 3 or 4 am the night before and we didnt even dock until after 10 am. People missed flights. That side to side stuff has some risk. You mentioned changing ships, side to side cruising.

I'd ask on the world cruise threads and see how they feel. They are on I think its serenade for 9 months. More than half way now. 

I'd want to do different cruiselines to do this myself. Changes of menu. I do want to cruise more and moved to port Canaveral to have more choices and then prices escalated before I've even completed the move. Royal doesnt give discounts for multiple cruises in a row. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

There are a few who do this on different cruise lines and while feasible, it certainly isn't for everyone. It may seem an interesting lifestyle for a number of reasons but there are IMO certain considerations to be realized.  I think arranging for a permanent at sea lifestyle would take significant planning in order to sever the land cord.

Health care management over the long run would be one that comes to mind.  IMO that would be a significant factor for which to have a firm plan. I believe some of the individuals that do this also have land based residence affiliations and take time off ship as needed for this.

As mentioned, the current cost with cruising may be prohibitive but can be offset by stateroom choice.  Without naming names I know that one of the more recognized individuals who has lived on board cruise ships with one line for a number of year does so with inside staterooms.

The pandemic obviously interrupted that lifestyle, and as mentioned, having affiliations with a land based residence certainly was important then. 

I also think lifestyle and cruise line choice would be of significant importance given the different primary demographics target by each.  Changing ships from time to time does add some variety, but if within the same line, the overall cruising atmosphere would remain essentially the same.

Good luck with your choices if you decide to move forward.  We have been cruising for 32 years and obviously enjoy it quite a bit.  But not to the point where we would choose to do so permanently or for an extended period of time.  Very individual decision and to each their own.

58 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

There are a few videos on youtube where he is interviewed and they discuss his logistics and finances.

Just as a side note, if you are referring to SM, we have had the opportunity to meet him on two of our sailings.  Very interesting and personable individual.

27 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Just as a side note, if you are referring to SM, we have had the opportunity to meet him on two of our sailings.  Very interesting and personable individual.

I am. While I've never met him, every indication I've seen says that he is a very approachable, friendly person who loves to talk to people.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 3:00 PM, zimadog said:

I think I would love to live aboard a series of ships for the next 8 years.  Comments anyone?

Call your local Navy Recruiting Office.   😉

Having been lucky enough to sail some longer cruises I would find the food and life very repetitive.  Using SM as an example he still works, has a condo and housekeeper in Miami so on turn around he takes his suitcase of dirty clothes home and picks up a suitcase of clean clothes.  Also he arranges medical appointments for Saturdays.  He maintains that Miami address so has someone reviewing mail and other needs such as medication renewals.  Not sure of any legal requirements for maintains Medicare and supplemental insurance coverage.