Starlink

Papa,

Appreciate your response.  Grandeur is truly a beautiful ship!

We are reticent about approaching our neighbors 'face-to-face' - the reason?  While relaxing at the pool, a fellow cruiser next to us was loudly video chatting.  Very nicely, we requested just a little less loudness. Surprisingly, she complained about us (asking for her not to be so loud) to her video chat mates.  So, this approach was not successful!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ddsun1 said:

Papa,

We are reticent about approaching our neighbors 'face-to-face' - the reason?  While relaxing at the pool, a fellow cruiser next to us was loudly video chatting.  Very nicely, we requested just a little less loudness. Surprisingly, she complained about us (asking for her not to be so loud) to her video chat mates.  So, this approach was not successful!

They’ll let people like this on board, yet I can’t bring my best boy with me.  What an upside down world we live in, I say, only half-jokingly.

image.thumb.jpeg.e6642c804e0a28418b868e16a043192d.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ddsun1 said:

Papa,

Why do some people think the rest of the world wants to hear their loud conversations. Be it in person or on their phone etc. Something I'm looking forward to experiencing in Japan is the notion that when using public transport it is frowned upon to chat on your phone. 

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

They’ll let people like this on board, yet I can’t bring my best boy with me.  What an upside down world we live in, I say, only half-jokingly.

image.thumb.jpeg.e6642c804e0a28418b868e16a043192d.jpeg

What a good looking boy 🥰.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ddsun1 said:

Papa,

People who video chat in public have zero class.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, ddsun1 said:

Surprisingly, she complained about us (asking for her not to be so loud) to her video chat mates

So not cool!  Obviously a very entitled person.  I don't know why people can't just be respectful of those around them. 

• Like 2

A little more onboard reporting on Splendor's Starlink. Ran into the contract workers from Miami installing Starlink as we cross the Atlantic. They were closing a men's room just as I arrived to make use of it..needed access through the area to run some cable. We had really crummy internet on the old system today..worst of the cruise...still do not have an answer why it will take till at least mod summer for Starlink to go live on Splendor.

On 4/6/2024 at 8:36 PM, edgee said:

A little more onboard reporting on Splendor's Starlink. Ran into the contract workers from Miami installing Starlink as we cross the Atlantic. They were closing a men's room just as I arrived to make use of it..needed access through the area to run some cable. We had really crummy internet on the old system today..worst of the cruise...still do not have an answer why it will take till at least mod summer for Starlink to go live on Splendor.

I am currently on the Splendor, and today, I asked the reception desk employee when Starlink will be operational. He said workers are onboard installing cables for Starlink, which will go active sometime in December 2024. The current free internet service is extremely unstable IMO.

17 minutes ago, sasejm said:

I am currently on the Splendor, and today, I asked the reception desk employee when Starlink will be operational. He said workers are onboard installing cables for Starlink, which will go active sometime in December 2024. The current free internet service is extremely unstable IMO.

I am also on the ship. The internet/technical staff has told me July or August. Agree the current situation is not good.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else find this topic extremely interesting as RSSC is mostly occupied by "seniors", who are considered by most of other cruisers as "tech idiots"? 

You are on "vacation"!  Unhinge yourself from the technology just for a little while and enjoy your peace.

Money comes and goes.  Your can NEVER get more time!!!!  Spend it wisely!!  

IMOHO

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, dfdub said:

Does anyone else find this topic extremely interesting as RSSC is mostly occupied by "seniors", who are considered by most of other cruisers as "tech idiots"? 

You are on "vacation"!  Unhinge yourself from the technology just for a little while and enjoy your peace.

IMOHO

I understand your point and accept its good intent but in my case I still have a business to run, as well as elderly parents stateside and children who occasionally need to discuss things.  And a dog being dog-sat.

Yes disconnecting 100% would be lovely in concept but I wouldn't want to not have any of those things that demand the connectivity.

Thank you for your sentiment though!

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, dfdub said:

IMOHO

And consider that some of us are not seniors...and we chose to play and work at the same time in order to maximize the return on our time. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The Hudson Co. Landlubber said:

understand your point and accept its good intent but in my case I still have a business to run, as well as elderly parents stateside and children who occasionally need to discuss things.  And a dog being dog-sat.

Agree with all of this plus I like to keep up to date with world events as sometimes they impact the cruise I'm on. For example last year a few days before we arrived in Casablanca there was the terrible earthquake near Marrakesh. Since there was an overnight tour planned there the ship did give some information but I was able to flesh out more of the story by checking the internet.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The issue of delays to put Starlink in is not technical but contractual.  NCL has to wait for the  internet portion of the contract with MTN/EMC/Anuvu to expire.  My guess Anuvu will still do the entertainment/TV segment.  The internet person's are contract employees of Anuvu.  Had a nice discussion with the one last year on Splendor.

The Future Cruise person on Encore a few weeks ago said, December was the target date to complete the refit.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2024 at 10:37 AM, dfdub said:

IMOHO

On 4/22/2024 at 11:14 AM, The Hudson Co. Landlubber said:

I understand your point and accept its good intent but in my case I still have a business to run, as well as elderly parents stateside and children who occasionally need to discuss things.  And a dog being dog-sat.

Yes disconnecting 100% would be lovely in concept but I wouldn't want to not have any of those things that demand the connectivity.

Thank you for your sentiment though!

On 4/22/2024 at 11:28 AM, Pcardad said:

And consider that some of us are not seniors...and we chose to play and work at the same time in order to maximize the return on our time. 

Yes, it's a sad thing, but although I may have the luxury of cruising on Regent every now and again, I don't have the luxury of unplugging completely for that length of time as both my wife and I are still in the workforce and need to be in touch even when we're away.

We had usually limited ourselves to 12-14 night cruises but managed to be gone for a month this year, and without the internet that just wouldn't have been possible.  

So even being on 'vacation', we still expect to be able to read the news, do our daily games/puzzles, monitor our finances, pay bills, stay in touch with our daughter who is expecting our first granddaughter, and yes, even check in on our dog's cam as well as home security cameras, etc.  Actually, NOT having access to the things we're used to would be more stressful for us as we're so used to the non-work aspects of our internet connectivity.  It's 2024, not 1984 - for many of us, the internet is a part of our lives, like it or not - so if they advertise internet connectivity, I expect internet connectivity - regardless of whether it's for work or personal use.

Rant over...sorry.   🙂

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 4/4/2024 at 12:43 AM, Gilly said:

No, I am pretty sure it doesn't have it yet   Nothing has been said and I'm sure that I would have read or heard that news if Starlink was here.

What I was highlighting is the patchy nature of internet connection which relies on so many variables: location of the ship, location *on* the ship and the number of people using it .  I have no idea why everything worked so well during our cruise but am simply thankful that it did!

These are actually two issues: The receiver issue, i.e. the antennas receiving the signals from the satellites. This can be improved with Starlink.

The second issues how the ship transmits internally via Wi-Fi. That issue is completely independent of Starlink. That causes the location issue where one location on the ship has better reception than somewhere else.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hapzfl said:

These are actually two issues: The receiver issue, i.e. the antennas receiving the signals from the satellites. This can be improved with Starlink.

The second issues how the ship transmits internally via Wi-Fi. That issue is completely independent of Starlink. That causes the location issue where one location on the ship has better reception than somewhere else.

This happens when the walls of the ship are metal. Sitting under a router in the Observation Lounge is usually pretty good.

• Like 1

I will check later in the year for best spots to sit on Navigator for connectivity.  Need to be in touch with office at least every couple days, so there are no major wild fires to deal with when I get back from almost 3 weeks out of office. Luckily, we work remotely much of the week, so not a huge deal as long as I can be in some form of contact.