Increase in Hotel and Dining Service Charge (aka Auto-Gratuities)

bluemarble

There's another increase in the works for the Cunard Hotel and Dining Service Charge.

The charge will increase $1.50 per person per day effective with the April 26th QE voyage and the April 28th QM2 and QV voyages. For Britannia staterooms, the charge is increasing from $14.50 to $16.00 per person per day. For Grill Suites, the charge is increasing from $16.50 to $18.00 per person per day.

Here's a link to the "Service charge and fees" page on the Cunard website mentioning this increase.

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/service-charges

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

They also increased them not too long ago. I'm sure it was within the last twelve months.

The last increase was about a year ago. It first came to my attention last March and went into effect during last April. At that time the increase was $3.00 per person per day after quite a few years with no increase.

12 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Read your contract with Cunard, you will probably find they can increase the service charge.   It seems all the other cruise lines have also increased the gratuities.   Inflation strikes again.

Surely that should read 'all other cruise lines that make a service charge have also increased their gratuities'

I just checked and the last 9 of my cruises all had gratuities included in the pre-cruise price.

I sent an email asking if the US Grills promo covers the increase. We’ll see if I get three different answers like I received for my Drinks package question. 
Interesting also that the Grills pax pay less of an increase percentage-wise vs non-Grills pax. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, skippyhop said:

I note Queen Anne is not detailed on that page, perhaps no charges apply there!

Hmmm. I fear that is a likely as her top speed being 33kts. 😀😀 But I’ll report back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, skippyhop said:

I note Queen Anne is not detailed on that page, perhaps no charges apply there!

I presume Queen Anne isn't listed because her first voyage isn't until May. The increased charges start in April on the other ships so they presumably will be in place on Queen Anne in May.

• Like 2

Approaching the subject with a balanced view and taking into account different tipping customs in USA, UK and France, I think it's quite realistic for us.

The cabin is serviced more frequently than we really need, and the steward/stewardess is usually very helpful in replacing water, biscuits etc, and taking/retrieving stuff from laundry.

We don't use buffets or speciality restaurants so have 14 served breakfasts and dinners and 12 lunches in 14 days. There are always two waiters and several others topping up water and rolls etc in passing as we eat.

It roughly equates to what we would tip if we stayed in a hotel and ate all those meals in restaurants. It may be more noticeable as a total charge at end of trip. In other scenarios it would be given in small amounts directly to members of staff over the fortnight.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Again knowing this is a sore spot for many fellow CC’ers, but I did hear back from Cunard and US Grills pax will get an auto adjustment for the increase in the extra Hotel and Dining Service charge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, NE John said:

Again knowing this is a sore spot for many fellow CC’ers, but I did hear back from Cunard and US Grills pax will get an auto adjustment for the increase in the extra Hotel and Dining Service charge. 

Not a sore point with me. I recognise there are different issues and conditions behind and between US and UK bookings. 🙂

As for the increases, I'm in  D&N 's camp.

It is what it is folks. Don't moan, you know it can be dealt with if you don't want to pay the service charges.

I suspect the grumbling is from people who probably will pay it but see the increase eating into holiday budget at a time when they're being squeezed from all sides as it is.

The people who just won't pay probably never intended to pay the service charges anyway.

I do feel a bit grumpy at having to pay full service charges for the toddler especially since we're using our own travel cot for her so the extra servicing in the cabin consists of an extra towel here and there. On land she would be eating from a kids menu and we would be tipping appropriately for that. It would be nice if we the service charge were discounted at the same rate as the fare for children. But we knew that it wasn't when we booked and we know we can self discount if we want to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Not a sore point with me. I recognise there are different issues and conditions behind and between US and UK bookings. 🙂

As for the increases, I'm in  D&N 's camp.

It is what it is folks. Don't moan, you know it can be dealt with if you don't want to pay the service charges.

It isnt what it is I certainly wouldn't pay over £400 tips on any land based holiday anywhere on the world. Why should cruiser's be made guilty to pay it because of the poor renumeration of Cunard staff while Cunard as a company keeps on making massive profits.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

It isnt what it is I certainly wouldn't pay over £400 tips on any land based holiday anywhere on the world. Why should cruiser's be made guilty to pay it because of the poor renumeration of Cunard staff while Cunard as a company keeps on making massive profits.

Sorry, I feel quite strongly about this. No one is making anyone feel guilty over the service charge and if anyone is, then it's cap/fit/wear it.

18 minutes ago, tacticalbanjo said:

I suspect the grumbling is from people who probably will pay it but see the increase eating into holiday budget at a time when they're being squeezed from all sides as it is.

The people who just won't pay probably never intended to pay the service charges anyway.

I do feel a bit grumpy at having to pay full service charges for the toddler especially since we're using our own travel cot for her so the extra servicing in the cabin consists of an extra towel here and there. On land she would be eating from a kids menu and we would be tipping appropriately for that. It would be nice if we the service charge were discounted at the same rate as the fare for children. But we knew that it wasn't when we booked and we know we can self discount if we want to.

I am grumbling and I certainly will not pay it. For the first time I will remove my tips and give in cash those that I think deserve it and at an amount I am happy with. Which at the end of the day is what tips should be all about even if Cunard cloudy the waters to confuse people by calling it Hotel and Dining service charge. They do this intentionally to make people feel guilty into paying it whilst boosting Cunard profits. Sorry but should do as partner cruise line P&O have done successfully in including gratuities in the cruise fare.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Sorry, I feel quite strongly about this. No one is making anyone feel guilty over the service charge and if anyone is, then it's cap/fit/wear it.

Cunard have done it for years and on my first cruise on QE2 in 1997 when asked at Pursers desk about removing auto tips was taken into an office and literally grilled by an officer. Was told that staff rely on the tips for their wages and by removing them was punishing them  for the excellent service. Being new to cruising I came out of that office like a naughty school oy who had been admonished by the headmaster.first cruise on QE2 in 1997 when asked at Pursers desk about removing auto tips was taken into an office and literally grilled by an officer. Was told that staff rely on the tips for their wages and by removing them was punishing them  for the excellent service. Being new to cruising I came out of that office like a naughty school oy who had been admonished by the headmaster.

Edited by majortom10

6 minutes ago, majortom10 said:
10 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Cunard have done it for ars and on my first cruise on QE2 in 1997 a  quarter of a century ago? Really relevant today!! when asked at Pursers desk about removing auto tips was taken into an office and literally grilled by an officer. Was told that staff rely on the tips for their wages and by removing them was punishing them  for the excellent service. Being new to cruising I came out of that office like a naughty school oy who had been admonished by the headmaster.

To misquote Eleanor Roosevelt,

No one can make you feel guilty [in this scenario] other than yourself

Do what you have to do and have the courage of your own convictions to do it.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

To misquote Eleanor Roosevelt,

No one can make you feel guilty [in this scenario] other than yourself

Do what you have to do and have the courage of your own convictions to do it.

I can assure you the words he very carefully used were intended to make me feel bad, wrong or guilty whichever word you care to use by me asking to remove them.

What everyone seems to be forgetting is also on top of tips, gratuities or hotel and dining service charge or whatever you want to call it is the charge of 15% on every drink and is also that to be increased as well which would not surprise me.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

I can assure you the words he very carefully used were intended to make me feel bad, wrong or guilty whichever word you care to use by me asking to remove them.

For heavens sake, it was over a quarter of a century ago.

Times move on and if you still feel the guilt you must gave felt nearly twenty seven years ago then, well, I don't know what to say other then it's on you to stop feeling a totally unnecessary guilty feeling because you are the only one who can stop it.

32 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I am grumbling and I certainly will not pay it. For the first time I will remove my tips and give in cash those that I think deserve it and at an amount I am happy with. Which at the end of the day is what tips should be all about even if Cunard cloudy the waters to confuse people by calling it Hotel and Dining service charge. They do this intentionally to make people feel guilty into paying it whilst boosting Cunard profits. Sorry but should do as partner cruise line P&O have done successfully in including gratuities in the cruise fare.

I agree with you that they should just fold it into the price like P&O do. Perhaps one thing Paul Ludlow could bring it that would go down well!

• Like 8