infinite veranda, does anyone like these things?

sunsetme

9 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Totally understand where you are coming from. But in this ever-changing world in which we live in, and all the technology available to us, one has to own their decisions and why they make them. I see no reason to be miserable over a different kind of veranda.   

Because it isn't a verandah! It's a window that rolls down and can be locked at any time by the Captain. It also isn't furnished with chairs that are comfortable to sit on. Just 2 of many reasons.

• Like 2

I Have no interest in these and want a regular traditional balcony. Our family usually gets two or three rooms side by side and love having the dividers on the balcony open to go room to room and socialize on the balcony. Having a room with a window that opens just does not cut it. Too bad they Celebrity could not do what it looks like Icon of the seas has done and have both so you can pick what works best for each.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Because it isn't a verandah! It's a window that rolls down and can be locked at any time by the Captain. It also isn't furnished with chairs that are comfortable to sit on. Just 2 of many reasons.

I did not ask a question. I only made a statement, as did you. In answering your answer, my retort is: yes, the captain can lock the window, no big deal, never been a problem. The chairs are quite comfortable and a more modern style. I'll go one further. The dark shade that can be lowered makes for a very dark room for late sleepers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I did not ask a question. I only made a statement, as did you. In answering your answer, my retort is: yes, the captain can lock the window, no big deal, never been a problem. The chairs are quite comfortable and a more modern style. I'll go one further. The dark shade that can be lowered makes for a very dark room for late sleepers.

I agree to respectfully not share your opinion about the chairs.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hopeless holiday booker said:

So, on Ascent are the Infinite Verandas doors going to let in all the light or will there be curtains or blackout blinds?

The bifold room dividers are frosted so it still lets in the light. There is a blackout shade but that's against the window, so yes you can lower it for total darkness but then no one can be on the balcony portion of the room with the window down and/or seeing the views out the window. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

Trying to decide between an infinite veranda or porthole balcony for Norway.  Have positives and negatives in my mind for both.  My question - does Celebrity keep the glass on the infinite windows clean all the time?   Worse thing would be a dirty window.  

Edited by ncgolferette

I purposely upgraded from an OV, to an IV on our upcoming Apex Transatlantic cruise in early May.

Paid about $800 to do it, too (should have booked it initially, would have saved about $200).

Given that the middle of the Atlantic in early/mid May is likely to be around 45-65F, and likely windy, an IV is much more usable in comparison to a balcony. 

I'll give my opinion afterwards - an opinion that everyone will agree is both exhaustive, entertaining, and correct.🫠

Edited by tscoffey
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, md80fan said:

I Have no interest in these and want a regular traditional balcony. Our family usually gets two or three rooms side by side and love having the dividers on the balcony open to go room to room and socialize on the balcony. Having a room with a window that opens just does not cut it. Too bad they Celebrity could not do what it looks like Icon of the seas has done and have both so you can pick what works best for each.

Exactly the same reason we hate them, not dislike, hate them emphatically!!

And yes we just got off the Ascent and have actually sailed in one of these lovely cabins.

1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I have to say the chairs are comfortable for maybe 1/2 cup of coffee....that's it.

Try sitting there for a  few hours reading a book.I did.

No thank you.

Just my 2 cents worth.

cheers

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, tscoffey said:

I purposely upgraded from an OV, to an IV on our upcoming Apex Transatlantic cruise in early May.

Paid about $800 to do it, too (should have booked it initially, would have saved about $200).

Given that the middle of the Atlantic in early/mid May is likely to be around 45-65F, and likely windy, an IV is much more usable in comparison to a balcony. 

I'll give my opinion afterwards - an opinion that everyone will agree is both exhaustive, entertaining, and correct.🫠

Honestly i could not book an IV cabin for a transatlantic, have sailed a few, all on S class AQ cabins with a real balconies. Looks like I'm in the minority here.Again, just another opinion.

Either way a TA is an nice cruise regardless!!

Enjoy

4 minutes ago, highway180 said:

Honestly i could not book an IV cabin for a transatlantic, have sailed a few, all on S class AQ cabins with a real balconies

Would you upgrade to a Sunset then? That's the only 'real balcony' option (besides suites, etc), and would cost another $1200.

Just now, tscoffey said:

Would you upgrade to a Sunset then? That's the only 'real balcony' option (besides suites, etc), and would cost another $1200.

Personally, I would in a heart beat. They usually book out fast.

But that is me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

OK.  So roughly 27% actually like the IVs.  Still a small percentage.

on Edge - if we take Deck 8 as an example (The other decks with cabins are the same) excluding suites there are: 162 IV cabins and 12 with traditional balconies. 

1 hour ago, tscoffey said:

I'm not sure I understand your rationale. If it will be too cold and windy for a balcony, why did you bother upgrading from an Oceanview to an IV if it's not likely you will open the window for the same reason?

Despite all the criticism, Celebrity doesn’t appear to have any trouble whatsoever selling out all of their infinite verandas on each and every one of their cruises at inflated prices to boot. Go figure. 

Edited by Kelownadon

4 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I'm not sure I understand your rationale. If it will be too cold and windy for a balcony, why did you bother upgrading from an Oceanview to an IV if it's not likely you will open the window for the same reason?

It won't always be cool and windy - especially in ports. Likely coolest will Azores to Southampton.

Wind could be anytime. 

And when it is acceptable, the window can be open.

9 minutes ago, Kelownadon said:

Despite all the criticism, Celebrity doesn’t appear to have any trouble whatsoever selling out all of their infinite verandas on each and every one of their cruises at inflated prices to boot. Go figure. 

The new trend in home sales are buildings with not one but dozens of infinite verandas!!!

2 hours ago, highway180 said:

I have to say the chairs are comfortable for maybe 1/2 cup of coffee....that's it

I raise you two glasses of wine and 50 pages of a John Grisham novel. Quick bathroom break and seated once again, comfortably. Must be a genetic thing. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, tscoffey said:

we have sat on our traditional balcony for around 3 hours on practically every sea day on every Transatlantic cruise - both directions on both the northerly and southernly route.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kelownadon said:

short term yes. Lots of new passengers who may or may not book again. Sailing from the UK there is no choice and the marketing is, in my opinion, questionable as cabins are only defined as "Balconies" regardless of their type. We will only really know when X develops it's next class of ship. X got it very wrong once before with the M class ships' "jet engines" which failed to deliver the promised fuel savings. The engines were dropped when the S class was introduced.