infinite veranda, does anyone like these things?

sunsetme

I hope I a pleasantly surprised in December when we sail in our first on Apex.  I visited one and thought it would be okay for a week, but we shall see.  We are normal balcony fans and really like the sunset verandas, but they are hard to come by.

We love them.  It makes the room feel bigger. If it's really hot out we just keep the window closed and sit on the balcony with the AC on.  If the weather is rainy we can still use the balcony without getting wet. For us we prefer them. 

• Like 6

I like them as well. To me it serves the same purpose as a balcony but also gives "more living" space in the room. But as you say, overwhelming majority on CC has been negative feedback 😁

• Like 1

I liked it on my 2022 Iceland cruise, since it was cool and rainy in June. You are still able to enjoy the view from the veranda with the window up. We will see how it goes in April in the Caribbean. I am a "hump veranda" person on the S class usually. 

• Like 2

I have never sailed in one, and we have a magic carpet balcony when we sail in Alaska this summer.  We debated choosing an infinite balcony.  I think it would be perfect for a cool weather location like Alaska.  We ended up choosing the sky suite instead for the retreat at a really great price.  

Yes, I liked it (Beyond, Med, October). Walking into the cabin every time to that wonderful floor to ceiling view was a joy and I spent a good amount of time sitting in the “balcony area” with the window down listening to the sound of the sea and looking at the view, or hanging over the ledge doing the same. 

• Like 1

I seem to be the only person who’s concerned about them on cold weather cruises, I know the air conditioning turns off when the window is open but want to know if the heat still works. I think that would be a huge negative in Antarctica or Alaska.

4 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I seem to be the only person who’s concerned about them on cold weather cruises, I know the air conditioning turns off when the window is open but want to know if the heat still works. I think that would be a huge negative in Antarctica or Alaska.

No, aircon/heating is the samething. Window open everything is off.

5 hours ago, HeddaGarbled said:

Yes, I liked it (Beyond, Med, October). Walking into the cabin every time to that wonderful floor to ceiling view was a joy and I spent a good amount of time sitting in the “balcony area” with the window down listening to the sound of the sea and looking at the view, or hanging over the ledge doing the same. 

Just curious. The chairs have low backs and look extremely uncomfortable compared to the high back chairs that recline on the traditional balconies. Can't imagine  relaxing on those chairs for the 3 plus hours we spend on the balcony every sea day. Just how long did you sit for?

• Like 1

I neither like nor dislike the IV.  I also don't spend a lot of time on my balcony.  They really doesn't feel like a balcony but I liked the extra space in the room.  I wouldn't hesitate to book one again over an inside or ocean view rooms with no complaints.   

37 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Just curious. The chairs have low backs and look extremely uncomfortable compared to the high back chairs that recline on the traditional balconies. Can't imagine  relaxing on those chairs for the 3 plus hours we spend on the balcony every sea day. Just how long did you sit for?

The chairs are comfortable. I’d put my feet up on the table. I never tried it out for 3 hours though.

29 minutes ago, HeddaGarbled said:

The chairs are comfortable. I’d put my feet up on the table. I never tried it out for 3 hours though.

Thanks. I assume you travel solo as clearly two people couldn’t use the table as a foot rest.

My wife has mobility/back issues and   clearly the chairs provide no back or neck support and there is no room for 2 foot stools.
The IV seems perfect for passengers who:

1)like the idea of a balcony but don’t actually use it much.

2) don’t need chairs that provide support for the neck or the back.

3) don’t need space for footstools.

4) don’t need a decent sized table.

5) Accept that with the window down there is no aircon or heating.

As we mainly cruise on itineraries with lots of sea days and regularly have lunch on the balcony the IV is a non starter for us. We will be sticking to S class.

Not right or wrong just choices. Enjoy your cruising.

• Like 4

it is a definite NO!!

We are huge balcony fans. If one wants to sneak out to the "infinite veranda" while somebody is trying to sleep.....virtually impossible to do without disturbing the person sleeping. First the slow noisy shade has to raise. Then you have to maneuver the furniture so as to close those noisy bi folds, then stand there holding the button to open the window, which is also slow and noisy. We just recently got off the Ascent, beautiful ship....a one and done for us. 

Give me a real balcony any day!

Cheers

• Like 2

Was on IV Ascent in November. Liked to extra view with the full height window, but as soon as the window opened all the mirrors in the room fogged up. Even with window closed, it made the room hot due to direct sun exposure. We kept the frosted bifold doors closed as much as possible to keep the room cool.

i think these cabins would be fantastic in Arctic, Alaska  or Antarctica when it’s too cold to be outside but you want the full view. The only thing is that now I want Oceanview cabins to have that full height panorama. They would not seem so claustrophobic and dark.

• Like 1