Bed topper—Enchantment

We were on Jewel last year and the bed was painful, even after asking for a mattress topper. Going on Enchantment next month, are the beds just as bad? They were slightly better on Allure.  I was reading the world cruise thread and someone mentioned bringing an inflatable camping mattress. Do they really help? Does anyone have recommendations for one?

I email specialneeds at least a few weeks b4 the cruise and tell them that we need the mattress topper because we both suffer back pain. I also add that I understand that they may not use mattress toppers any more, and an extra comforter under the sheets will be fine. When I get on the ship, I check with the cabin attendant and insist if necessary.  I have only had to insist once, on the Wonder last month. 

We just got off the ship yesterday. We requested a bed topper over a year ago when we booked our cruise. There wasn't one on the bed and our cabin attendant had no idea what we needed. I asked if we could have a comforter put under the sheets and it took him 2 nights before he did it. He put in on horizontal instead of vertical with the bed so there were two lines where the comforter ended which made it lumpy. Our sheets were not changed the whole 7 day cruise. We've cruised 65+ cruises and this was the first time that's ever happened. They only clean your room once a day but at least they should still change your sheets. I change them every 4 days at home. I was thankful they had lightweight comforters on the bed instead of the weighted ones we've had on other cruises. I actually brought a lightweighted one with me but didn't have to use it. Now, I guess I'll have to bring a blow up mattress pad. Going on the Icon of the Seas shortly so am excited to see how their beds are.

It's our experience that Royal's beds are very, very firm until  you book at the suite level and then have more padding. I'm ordering twin size memory foam toppers (2") with cooling properties for a cruise this April.  We're taking as second checked luggage; also optional for anyone driving to port. Read up on your ship and search for comments on the beds. Good luck!

I just got back from b2b's on two ships.  My inflatable mattress pad absolutely made sleeping VERY comfy.  Coming home I just deflated and folded it flat to fit the bottom of my suitcase. The rolled up bag took up too much suitcase real estate with its dimensions.

Leaving on Oasis this Sunday. I have 2 days in Miami and will head over to Target and purchase my own egg crate topper to bring with me onboard. It will be the best $15 I have ever spent. Royal's beds are consistently horrible.

• Like 2

Speaking of the Klymit air pads, I have two that we use. I’ve found that it works best if only aired up about half way - not completely like you would a pool lounger. It then is better at conforming to body contours and is very comfortable for me. 
For long cruises like TA’s, I usually just buy a cheap foam pad at Walmart and leave it on the bed when we disembark. 

• Like 1