Golf clubs and storage

SDWCruise

Although we've not done this, we've thought about trying to do a self golf-cruise experience.

Have never though about having the clubs anyplace other than the room though. Would it not be abit of a hassle to retrieve them?

We would be 2 sets but would likely attempt reduced sets and carry bags, which maybe would fit under the bed or snugly in a corner.

Following as I'd like to read what responses you get.

I took clubs once on a cruise and stored them in the cabin. What a pain. They take too much room. It wasn’t worth the aggravation to play one round. If there is somewhere else on the ship to store them then maybe but I won’t do it again.

Thanks. We’re not planning on playing during the cruise, but having a golfing holiday afterwards - hence storing them because, yes, there is very limited space in the cabins! I’ll try and contact Celebrity and see what they say 😐 Plenty of time to plan - not sailing till next January but I like to be prepared! 😁 

2 minutes ago, SDWCruise said:

Thanks. We’re not planning on playing during the cruise, but having a golfing holiday afterwards - hence storing them because, yes, there is very limited space in the cabins! I’ll try and contact Celebrity and see what they say 😐 Plenty of time to plan - not sailing till next January but I like to be prepared! 😁 

Ahhh... that's different.

Please let us know what you find out.

We have taking our clubs with us when we boarded in our home port of LA so didn’t have to worry about flying with them.   We played at each port so avoided renting   and placed the clubs between the sofa and wall by the balcony so was out of the way.   If we have to fly we just rent clubs.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SDWCruise said:

A golfing question …

Has anyone taken sets of golf clubs onboard and then had them stored on the ship rather than in the cabin? Thanks in advance for any replies 😊 

The shore excursion staff may have a place you can store your clubs.

On 2/10/2024 at 11:44 AM, Charles4515 said:

The shore excursion staff may have a place you can store your clubs.

I'm curious why do you think that department over anywhere else? 

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

I'm curious why do you think that department over anywhere else? 

On some ships they may have golf excursions. I know that on Celebrity Zenith and the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda they would store golf clubs but that was years ago so I don’t know about now. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2024 at 6:42 AM, SDWCruise said:

A golfing question …

Has anyone taken sets of golf clubs onboard and then had them stored on the ship rather than in the cabin? Thanks in advance for any replies 😊 

One thing to note you will have to carry your clubs onboard yourself on Celebrity. You can’t drop them off with the porters. You will have to take them off yourself too.  

On 2/10/2024 at 10:18 AM, SDWCruise said:

Alternatively, maybe you could have the clubs shipped to wherever you are going afterwards. I think the normal balcony cabins on Celebrity ships are too small to store golf clubs. 

57 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

One thing to note you will have to carry your clubs onboard yourself on Celebrity. You can’t drop them off with the porters. You will have to take them off yourself too.  

That’s interesting. I wouldn’t have known that it was specific to cruise lines. I suppose they’d fit through the scanner.

I’ve only brought clubs cruising out of Port Everglades on Princess. The porters there took them.

22 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

Alternatively, maybe you could have the clubs shipped to wherever you are going afterwards. I think the normal balcony cabins on Celebrity ships are too small to store golf clubs. 

I don’t think they would allow clubs to be stored on any balcony. I think shipping them to wherever is a good idea.

21 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

That’s interesting. I wouldn’t have known that it was specific to cruise lines. I suppose they’d fit through the scanner.

I’ve only brought clubs cruising out of Port Everglades on Princess. The porters there took them.

I think they can be dropped off on NCL too.  I don’t think it is the port porters but that Celebrity does not want the onboard crew to handle them. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I don’t think they would allow clubs to be stored on any balcony. I think shipping them to wherever is a good idea.

I wasn’t suggesting that clubs be stored on a balcony, only that those cabins are too small to store clubs. It might be possible in a larger suite though if that’s what the poster has booked. 

Edited by Torfamm

1 minute ago, Torfamm said:

I wasn’t suggesting that clubs be stored on a balcony, only that those cabins are too small to store clubs. It might be possible in a larger suite though if that’s what the poster has booked. 

The clubs can be stored inside a regular cabin. The OP wants to find an alternative. I suggested shore excursions because Celebrity does organize outings. Even when not listed as an excursion. Often there are crew members who golf. I am not saying that they will store the clubs for sure on any particular Celebrity ship but they did on a few Bermuda sailings we were on. They can store them in the cabin if there is no alternative. 

Slightly related question to any golfers on here; have you found any good resources (shore excursion companies, websites, etc) to help you find great golf courses and book tee times in new destination? We just booked our first Crystal cruise and they advertise golf practice nets and a golf pro on board but offer no golf excursions. We’ll be in the Mediterranean in May. 

thank you 

4 hours ago, suzannecruisecritic said:

Slightly related question to any golfers on here; have you found any good resources (shore excursion companies, websites, etc) to help you find great golf courses and book tee times in new destination? We just booked our first Crystal cruise and they advertise golf practice nets and a golf pro on board but offer no golf excursions. We’ll be in the Mediterranean in May. 

thank you 

I've done some searching overtime (although not exhaustive) but when we've looked into golf/cruise holidays- 

Perry Golf Cruises (I  think they  are all coupled with Azamara) 

https://www.perrygolf.com/golfcruising/

Costa golf and cruise (I think the are all Med cruises)

https://www.costacruises.com/deals/cruise-golf.html

It seemed arranging golf excursions in Bahama's (with any cruise  line) would be easy

My theory in why we don't see much in terms of cruise line golf excursions is the logistics and timing required for the transportation and golfing itself.