Volendam Cabin Selection Online

dfilpus

When doing a mock booking for the 11-Day Canada & New England Circle: Acadia & Newfoundland on the Volendam, when We get to the choose a cabin, we get a mostly blank page that does not have the available cabin map or the pull down menu. A screenshot is attached. 

It happens no matter what I choose. I can do cabin selection on other cruises, just not this one.

Holland Chat just blew me off. Could somebody duplicate the issue? If somebody finds a way to do the cabin selection, post how you did it.

Thanks.

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 2.37.34 PM.png

I was able to find a list of the available cabins for this sailing.  If the only category that is available is guarantee they do not show any cabins.  You may check with a travel agent as they may have more available cabin than Holland America's website.  Every so often the website is down and will give you no information at all.  Try clearing your history and see if that helps.

3 hours ago, dfilpus said:

When doing a mock booking for the 11-Day Canada & New England Circle: Acadia & Newfoundland on the Volendam, when We get to the choose a cabin, we get a mostly blank page that does not have the available cabin map or the pull down menu. A screenshot is attached. 

It happens no matter what I choose. I can do cabin selection on other cruises, just not this one.

Holland Chat just blew me off. Could somebody duplicate the issue? If somebody finds a way to do the cabin selection, post how you did it.

Thanks.

Had same issue with Volendams 45-day Ultimate Mediterranean. Called my travel agent and she was able to go in and see what was available. 

3 hours ago, dfilpus said:

Thanks.

I’ve had the same issue on any Volendam sailing I’ve looked at in the last few days. Thought it was just me.

Edited by sunviking90

I thought it was just my particular cruise for this August on the Volendam. I assumed it was sold out but they weren't saying it was. I was just trying to price check, but obviously a sold out cruise is not going to be cheaper than it was a year and a half ago.

On 2/12/2024 at 6:02 PM, shippmates said:

You may check with a travel agent as they may have more available cabin than Holland America's website. 

I so agree with this.  I am doing a collectors cruise in 2025 and as always the good cabins are in the separate segments so I went checking both segments to see what was available on both before I reached out to my TA.

She was done faster than I with her system and cited a cabin I didn’t even see on HAL’s website to pull it out of inventory for me - and I have it on that cruise.

A good TA is worth their weight in gold.  

In @dfilpus case, I’d just have the deck plans out anc reach out to your TA or PCC.  A good one should be able to help quickly.

• Like 1

I noticed this issue while doing a test Zaandam booking last weekend. But I was able to select cabins and get to the “enter your credit card” stage when doing the same booking at the big discounter travel website (the one that’s famous for selling hot dogs cheap!).

I assumed it was a problem with my particular itinerary until I saw this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying the same thing for a few weeks (probably as far back as into January) and have the same result (i.e. cabin availablity deckplan doesn't show up).

I had convinced myself that this is due to all the "$1 deposit specials" and loads of people booking cabins that will only become 'available' when they have to pony up the full payment and decide not to go.  So today, I spent some time experimenting with itineraries that are within the next 75 days (which is the typical lead time for final payment for the shorter cruises) and this blew my theory out of the water.

I then took a look at different ships and have now come up with a theory that the Volendam and Zaandam areas of the HAL website are broken.  Both of these ships seem to have this 'feature' and the larger ships do not.  I'm afraid we're going to have to wait for some HAL IT intern to discover the problem and make a fix (since explaining it to one of their booking agents will undoubtedly fall on deaf ears).  No telling how long we're going to be waiting!

I have had this problem for weeks now.  Notified my PCC, he said he would pass it on to their IT folks but so far it has not happened.  Switching browsers and devices has not solved the problem.  Some are not having this issue, but I have no idea why.  Frustrating!!

24 minutes ago, Entropyman said:

I have had this problem for weeks now.  Notified my PCC, he said he would pass it on to their IT folks but so far it has not happened.  Switching browsers and devices has not solved the problem.  Some are not having this issue, but I have no idea why.  Frustrating!!

We are on the Volendam this fall and see the same thing (nothing but GTY's for cabins). I checked on a large internet based website and see the same thing - I can select any category, but always still only as a GTY (no room selection).

19 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

We are on the Volendam this fall and see the same thing (nothing but GTY's for cabins). I checked on a large internet based website and see the same thing - I can select any category, but always still only as a GTY (no room selection).

My latest theory is that this is a HAL website bug that is confined to Volendam and Zaandam, and across all cabin types on these two ships.  I haven't seen this issue on any of the other HAL ships.  Can you confirm if you see this as well?  I have sent an e-mail to HAL Guest Relations and requested that they alert their IT department.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, My_Cruising said:

My latest theory is that this is a HAL website bug that is confined to Volendam and Zaandam, and across all cabin types on these two ships.  I haven't seen this issue on any of the other HAL ships.  Can you confirm if you see this as well?  I have sent an e-mail to HAL Guest Relations and requested that they alert their IT department.

I just tried a couple of others .. I can see Cabins on Zandaam for April 2025 Pacific Coast on external website, so maybe sailing specific?

Edit: I tried the same cruise on HAL"s site and when I enter the phase to try to select a room - it burps (booking flow error)

Edited by rodndonna

I have the same issue when I do a mock booking on our Aug 20th cruise from Boston on the Volendam. HAL has a history of IT issues with their website.

On 2/12/2024 at 4:02 PM, dfilpus said:

Thanks.

Hi, I am looking at the same cruise(July)  and get the same response.

I called HAL about this issue and they said the no individual cabins are listed is because only guarantee cabins are available and you cannot pick you cabin.

• Thanks 1

That's an interesting explanation, but I have trouble believing it.  I can't find a single cruise on either Volendam or Zaandam that will allow cabin selection in any class on any deck.  My theory is that they have a website bug for these two ships.  I haven't been able to replicate this issue on any other ships.  If you can find a Volendam or Zaandam cruise that allows you to select your own cabin (and brings up the usual deck plan), please let me know which one so I can test it on my device and browser.  Thanks!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, My_Cruising said:

That's an interesting explanation, but I have trouble believing it.  I can't find a single cruise on either Volendam or Zaandam that will allow cabin selection in any class on any deck.  My theory is that they have a website bug for these two ships.  I haven't been able to replicate this issue on any other ships.  If you can find a Volendam or Zaandam cruise that allows you to select your own cabin (and brings up the usual deck plan), please let me know which one so I can test it on my device and browser.  Thanks!!

Yes, especially since if you go through a certain big box retailer, you still get the deck plan with available cabins to pick from. 

14 hours ago, bajae said:

Yes, especially since if you go through a certain big box retailer, you still get the deck plan with available cabins to pick from. 

Yes - we gave up looking for availability on the HAL website (because of the blank cabin selection page) and booked the cabin we wanted on the Zaaadam using the Kirkland, WA based online travel website. We had no issues seeing the available cabins on their site and the booking was confirmed in our HAL account…

It’s odd that it’s been in this state so long - I was noticing this for a while before I came across this thread (I really wanted to find a cruise on either the Volendam or Zaandam, based on our experience in 2019 on the Amsterdam). Many people have said they’ve notified HAL of the issue.

Hey, all who are following this thread.  It is about 8pm (Seattle time) on March 12, and it looks like HAL has fixed their issues with the website cabin selection for both Volendam and Zaandam.  It is now working for me, so please check it out and leave a comment if it is also working for you.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, My_Cruising said:

Hey, all who are following this thread.  It is about 8pm (Seattle time) on March 12, and it looks like HAL has fixed their issues with the website cabin selection for both Volendam and Zaandam.  It is now working for me, so please check it out and leave a comment if it is also working for you.

It looks like it working for me as well.