How many Wi-Fi devices??

pocka

I’ve got princess plus that specifies one device. My question….is that only one device the whole cruise or one device at a time? I will need to have two devices, one for work and one personal. Do I need to upgrade to premiere? Thanks to all that helped with my champagne tower question. I bet there are cruisers out there who have had the same situation with work and personal devices. Thanks in advance. 

One device at a time. You can toggle between your 2 devices or you can upgrade to 4 devices without going to premier. The upgrade would be less than $20 per day per person.  If you go to premier then first 2 in the cabin must have same package 

• Like 1

Omw device at a time. You can use as many devices as you want, share among as many people as you want - as long as it's one device at a time. Logging in to a new device will bump off the last device, etc. 

• Like 1

I always wondered about Plus and one device.  I knew that I could switch between devices.  BUT...if I wanted to add one more connection, would I be able to do an add on...with elite discount?

The options for internet is either one device or four devices at a time. Princess decided only to offer these two choices. Therefore if you have Elite level, you can get 50% off of either plan. Note the internet prices just recently increased from $15 per day to $25 per day (I might be off by a few $). If you have the plus package, you automatically get the one device option. Premier package will get you four devices at a time.

I used the single device option and with DW, we have two connections that could be used at a time. It was good enough for our usage.

I switched back and forth between my phone and my iPad on our last cruise and plan to do the same on our cruise in the summer. Easy to do. Once on board, if you have questions, head to the Internet cafe and the team there will show you how to do it.

Guest Snaxmuppet

If you want Plus, or the one device plan, but want more than one device simultaneously, then you can if you get one of these travel routers. It then connects to the ship wifi as a single device but allows you to connect several devices to the router simultaneously. The ship sees just one device.

44 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

If you want Plus, or the one device plan, but want more than one device simultaneously, then you can if you get one of these travel routers. It then connects to the ship wifi as a single device but allows you to connect several devices to the router simultaneously. The ship sees just one device.

I have a ‘friend’ who has used a ‘router’ but you need to remember, all users will need to be in proximity of the ‘router’ while using the WiFi. So all can be using WiFi at the same time, but you will also need to be at the same place, same time. 

It is not like you connect other users and they can then roam around the ship and use WiFi when and where they want.

Using a router works if your ‘group’ wants and can meet at the same place and time to use the WiFi, which is not really ideal for many groups and depending on who wants to do what on their devices.

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 minute ago, wallyj said:

I have a ‘friend’ who has used a ‘router’ but you need to remember, all users will need to be in proximity of the ‘router’ while using the WiFi. So all can be using WiFi at the same time, but you will also need to be at the same place, same time. 

It is not like you connect other users and they can then roam around the ship and use WiFi when and where they want.

Using a router works if your ‘group’ wants and can meet at the same place and time to use the WiFi, which is not really ideal for many groups and depending on who wants to do what on their devices.

True but we are not talking about group use in this scenario. Here we are taking about whether to get a single device plan on the ship or a 4 device plan. So in this scenario it would be a single person using the router to connect multiple devices but using the single device plan.

Of course, you are correct... if you want to use a single subscription for multiple people it would work but yes, you would all need to be proximate to the router.

4 hours ago, akaCruiser said:

The options for internet is either one device or four devices at a time. Princess decided only to offer these two choices. Therefore if you have Elite level, you can get 50% off of either plan. Note the internet prices just recently increased from $15 per day to $25 per day (I might be off by a few $). If you have the plus package, you automatically get the one device option. Premier package will get you four devices at a time.

I used the single device option and with DW, we have two connections that could be used at a time. It was good enough for our usage.

Therefore, the answer is:  You either get the Plus package for one device OR you can purchase a 4 device stand alone Medallion net with Elite discount, but you are not able to purchase plus and add on 4 devices?  

This is when you make friends with someone who purchased the Premier package (wink wink).

I have survived with just one connection device plan.  Thank goodness that my iPad and iPhone magically transfer information (text/voice mail/calls).  I shouldn't be on my devices as much as I am.  Need to spend more time watching the ocean go by.

1 hour ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Pointless purchase, just use your phone as the router

Guest Snaxmuppet
23 minutes ago, antsp said:

Pointless purchase, just use your phone as the router

Not pointless as the performance will be much better than the phone and it can handle more devices than a phone could but yes, you can use your phone... if you have a phone that allows the sharing of a wifi connection. Many will only allow sharing of a cell data connection.

1 hour ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Not pointless as the performance will be much better than the phone and it can handle more devices than a phone could but yes, you can use your phone... if you have a phone that allows the sharing of a wifi connection. Many will only allow sharing of a cell data connection.

Hot spot on a iPhone (Verizon) also comes with an additional charge.  

Guest Snaxmuppet
2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Hot spot on a iPhone (Verizon) also comes with an additional charge.  

Do you mean that using the phone as a wifi only hotspot comes with an additional fee? How would they know... you would have airplane mode on so there would be no cell data connection?

Edited by Snaxmuppet

iPhone doesn't allow you to share a Wi-Fi connection, only a cellular connection via hotspot. Android does allow Wi-Fi sharing, although I don't know if its model restricted.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I've always been a bit curious about these things.  I assume there is some type of administrative interface that will allow you to supply the needed Princess logon info?

Guest Snaxmuppet
11 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I've always been a bit curious about these things.  I assume there is some type of administrative interface that will allow you to supply the needed Princess logon info?

I haven't used one yet on board as my next cruise is April when I'll take one along. I won't need it as I have Premier but I want to see how it works and to do a better YouTube video.

It uses NAT (Network Address Translation) so I would expect that the first device that connects to the router will get to see the log in screen. After that any other devices won't as the router is then logged in.

17 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I haven't used one yet on board as my next cruise is April when I'll take one along. I won't need it as I have Premier but I want to see how it works and to do a better YouTube video.

It uses NAT (Network Address Translation) so I would expect that the first device that connects to the router will get to see the log in screen. After that any other devices won't as the router is then logged in.

Some lines are now blocking routers as they have a one device policy(you can't switch),  wonder if Princess will go down that route(er) to protect revenue?

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 hour ago, insidecabin said:

Some lines are now blocking routers as they have a one device policy(you can't switch),  wonder if Princess will go down that route(er) to protect revenue?

Even if they do try to stop routers there is possibly still a way to use them by using MAC address spoofing. If it is done that way it is more difficult for the cruise line to determine whether the device connecting is the original PC or phone or whether it is a router pretending to be the original device.

I haven't tried it. Perhaps someone who has tried MAC address spoofing on another line might chip in.

I am not 100% comfortable with these techniques to get around the cruise line's charges but I genuinely believe that the internet charges are stupidly, and unnecessarily IMO, high. May be that is not the cruise line's fault as I am sure Starlink will be charging a high price for access to the network but regardless of the reason it is very expensive IMO.