Azamara in the Antarctic - a live perspective

uktog

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Well I’ve started your challenge no problems tonight with Whispering Angel, Botanist Gin or piper Heidsike. 

A good lineup.  I applaud your taste!

Forgot to mention that the CC Meet & Mingle was held at 4:00 pm in the Drawing Room, an hour before sail away.  Mimosas and sparkling wine were served, as well as small bites. Very nice. I think there were about 12 of us. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Forgot to mention that the CC Meet & Mingle was held at 4:00 pm in the Drawing Room, an hour before sail away.  Mimosas and sparkling wine were served, as well as small bites. Very nice. I think there were about 12 of us. 

Unfortunately I got held up and sadly never made it. Was still sorting out a luggage issue but all was well. Sorry to have missed it 

• Like 1

Confirmation of the price increases on Specialty and Chefs Table dining. 

IMG_3531.thumb.jpeg.6aae880dab10cdcea0a5053d081a5230.jpeg
Unfortunately by the time we got through the various lines off ship and waited to be seen at the booking table (one inside windows and two staff outside on the patio port side though one was on a break) there were no speciality opportunities last night before 2045 available.  A few other nights also have issues but we can check back later on them. 

We had a very good meal in Discovery Restaurant so all was well 

The show was an introduction to all the talent etc. Some have good potential the jury is out on others. Great to see a six part orchestra again. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

No. Unlimited dining in the Specialty Restaurants only. 

Phil 

TY Phil and Betsey.  In your opinions, have you experienced the Chef's table and is it worth the new $125/pp charge?

Edited by ChucktownSteve

1 hour ago, ChucktownSteve said:

TY Phil and Betsey.  In your opinions, have you experienced the Chef's table and is it worth the new $125/pp charge?

Very much depends on which table. But it’s marginal

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just finished an Azamara excursion to a vineyard outside of Montevideo - cooking class with wine. Only six of us and we had a private experience with the vineyard owner, a charming woman, with her two young children helping out. SO much food. We made empanadas and while those were cooking, had baked provolone, sausages, bread and wine. Very full after that, but then we went taken inside and a big platter of beef and vegetables appeared! Along with salad and more wine. Finished off with flan. Oof. Wonderful time. Good job, Azamara!

IMG_3560.jpeg

IMG_3559.jpeg

IMG_3561.jpeg

IMG_3564.jpeg

IMG_3565.jpeg

IMG_3566.jpeg

IMG_3567.jpeg

IMG_3569.jpeg

IMG_3574.jpeg

IMG_3575.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

We too have just returned from an excellent excursion- we were the workers! A group of 6 like Betsey we were Harvesting at Pizzorno winery. 
IMG_3534.thumb.jpeg.b8d0e15539bc3a71a971a3fb0e3fc088.jpeg

We did the hard work - picking 

IMG_3541.thumb.jpeg.086bdc27de59167b44c0c449f9dc50d8.jpeg

And crushing our individual crops the old fashioned way (feet feel like they’ve had a fabulous spa experience)

IMG_3559.thumb.jpeg.d82d381dbca25481e5f9eedd05ed14fe.jpeg

Followed by a tour of the winery that was actually working - how many times do you tour an empty building 

IMG_3568.thumb.jpeg.ae8cfa88fc0294b35d1828b886bb7e5f.jpeg

and an amazing lunch with paired wines. 

IMG_3532.thumb.jpeg.b4230fd7edb9fdcced318597d415c562.jpeg

The ribeye was unbelievably good

IMG_3570.thumb.jpeg.bfc5f938fb282d39bbff6aa1c186d823.jpeg

If all Azamara excursions were like this one we’d never go independent! 

IMG_3541.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Well the Azamazing evening was indeed special. I have so many photos but just a small selection. It was the kind of evening that can only be off ship. You could never recreate it onboard. 
It was a 10 minute drive which was logistically ok. The theatre is so steeped in history built in 1856

IMG_3581.thumb.jpeg.6b07edbaa026c519d339a43d8d23c29d.jpeg

The show had a cast of over 70 and was based on Uruguay carnival. It was high energy with audience interactions throughout 

IMG_3635.thumb.jpeg.d6acb5f5dad3f73b2a34fc59b6f642c9.jpeg

IMG_3628.thumb.jpeg.6c2647667dbfbf80f4186e3c690c7d3b.jpeg

IMG_3624.thumb.jpeg.e7e320a34cbd16912664868e7ce32d5d.jpeg

IMG_3617.thumb.jpeg.57ed5cb1209e9a2130f5d0fcb674f38b.jpeg

IMG_3596.thumb.jpeg.de87bf40000399ec134fd4d0dee97e92.jpeg
Even our send off to the coach back was special with the cast forming a guard of honour 

IMG_3641.thumb.jpeg.e6beb584c563b0ad14878dd6929d7007.jpeg

This evening was great but they’ve done it several times so have a slick operation 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

An example of sensible communication at the Azamara event tonight. During his welcome Captain Johannes explained that when we went to bed tonight and we were still in port not to worry there is no problem with the ship. It’s just they were re provisioning here but the container was rather delayed. The good news it had just arrived but would need 6 hours to load so they will leave during the night. 

How to kill rumours before they start! 

• Like 11

15 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Interesting. Onboard Onward in December 2023, CD Eric told us Azamara was discontinuing any support for CC Meet & Mingles.

6 hours ago, uktog said:

An example of sensible communication at the Azamara event tonight. During his welcome Captain Johannes explained that when we went to bed tonight and we were still in port not to worry there is no problem with the ship. It’s just they were re provisioning here but the container was rather delayed. The good news it had just arrived but would need 6 hours to load so they will leave during the night. 

How to kill rumours before they start! 

Johannes is a great communicator. Considering he is probably one of the more outwardly reserved of captains he hides his light under a bushel!

Phil 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, uktog said:

Well the Azamazing evening was indeed special. 

This evening was great but they’ve done it several times so have a slick operation 

I loved this too. I went twice on a b2b and came home with a nice memory of pictures painted at the event in coffee (!) by the onboard artist Minori. It captured the event perfectly for me.  

Phil 

IMG_5653.jpeg

• Like 5

Thanks for the wonderful pictures of the Azamazing Evening, @uktog. It was really a fun event!

Back on the ship, we had late bites in the Living Room, with a great jazz band, Musiq4Soul. I usually can’t drag my Andrew up there, but he loved it 😊.

A sea day today, and the captain is predicting calm seas all the way to the Falklands.

• Like 3