Here we go again... LIVE from Beyond, February 19, 2024

mac_tlc

Our current position:

IMG_5667.png

Cuba:

IMG_5681.jpeg

E-class ships have a lot of great photo opportunities. Here are some from my walk this morning:

IMG_5670.jpeg

IMG_5672.jpeg

IMG_5678.jpeg

IMG_5673.jpeg

IMG_5679.jpeg

IMG_5677.jpeg

And the chair hogs were up early today::

IMG_5676.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 12

I will be interested to hear your feedback on your tour with Dora in Cartegena.  I know she has been recommended on these boards for many years.  The last time I was there I was with a bunch of people and we grabbed a van at the curb.  It was interesting, to put it mildly.  Once, the guys had to push the van to get it started!  Don't think I would ever do that again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

Our current position:

IMG_5667.png

Cuba:

IMG_5681.jpeg

E-class ships have a lot of great photo opportunities. Here are some from my walk this morning:

IMG_5670.jpeg

IMG_5672.jpeg

IMG_5678.jpeg

IMG_5673.jpeg

IMG_5679.jpeg

IMG_5677.jpeg

And the chair hogs were up early today::

IMG_5676.jpeg

That's just so wrong - wish the lines would start REALLY cracking down on this. Gather it all up and people can collect their stuff when they decide to show up. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I will be interested to hear your feedback on your tour with Dora in Cartegena.  I know she has been recommended on these boards for many years.  The last time I was there I was with a bunch of people and we grabbed a van at the curb.  It was interesting, to put it mildly.  Once, the guys had to push the van to get it started!  Don't think I would ever do that again.

Not in today’s world you wouldn’t; however, Cartagena, Spain is quite nice, very walkable and no one gets “in your face.”  

4 minutes ago, sunkey1 said:

That's just so wrong - wish the lines would start REALLY cracking down on this. Gather it all up and people can collect their stuff when they decide to show up. 

put it a secure bag at security post....so they can't complain abt  loss or theft..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Not in today’s world you wouldn’t; however, Cartagena, Spain is quite nice, very walkable and no one gets “in your face.”  

We take ship's excursions.. Tour Bus broke down in Costa Rican rain forest..no idea where.....No worries...X sent a new bus and held the ship. 

So many other close calls!   We only go independent  where we can walk back to the port on our own!

9 minutes ago, hcat said:

We take ship's excursions.. Tour Bus broke down in Costa Rican rain forest..no idea where.....No worries...X sent a new bus and held the ship. 

So many other close calls!   We only go independent  where we can walk back to the port on our own!

Cartagena, Spain(not Columbia)would be perfect for that walk.  It can be confusing, as these cities are so different.  Photo below: 

IMG_4055.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

Cartagena, Spain(not Columbia)would be perfect for that walk.  It can be confusing, as these cities are so different.  Photo below: 

IMG_4055.jpeg

Our Transatlantic cruise on the Constellation stopped there in 2015. We loved it. Very walkable and we caught part of a jazz festival that was going on. One of my favorite cruise days!

• Like 2

Glad to report we have a Beyond the Podium speaker this cruise. He will speak at 10am in the theatre every sea day.

IMG_5682.png

IMG_5683.jpeg

The first talk today was very interesting, looking forward to the rest —- with a caramel macchiato and an almond croissant from Cafe alBacio.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

IMG_4055.jpeg

it does look walkable &  beautiful!

I speak a bit of Spanish so that's a plus.  Hate to be somewhere we can't have  communication. Tried my best in France but failed!

Even after 51 cruises you learn something every day. I had made a reservation at Eden for Day 1 a few months back, during a crazy sale at the now unheard of price of $45pp. 

We had decided that we wanted to change it from day 1 so I had the Retreat concierge change it to Day 5. 

I noticed this morning two credits on my account for $53.98 ($45+20%) .

I wandered back up to the concierge today to inquire why. Seems that moving a reservation is really a cancel and rebook. But a rebook at on board ship current prices. Yah, well that’s a no go. Not paying $85 pp. 

So we now have a night free to try Blu, where we have never been —- for $0.

mac_tlc

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Eden at $45pp yes every time. Never at $85pp. We got lucky and grabbed a black friday price for our December sailing but no discounts came about for our February sailing so at $77 (which it was for that sailing) we said no. 3 times and loved it each time but not that much.

Edited by Galaxy2004
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Galaxy2004 said:

Eden at $45pp yes every time. Never at $85pp. We got lucky and grabbed a black friday price for our December sailing but no discounts came about for our February sailing so at $77 (which it was for that sailing) we said no. 3 times and loved it each time but not that much.

Our thinking too. We have done it 4 times and love it, but love has a limit—- I guess it’s about $60 😂😂.

Probably should have confirmed with concierge before he cancelled it but, that’s OK. Have another $108 OBC I need to dispose of.

mac_tlc

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, mac_tlc said:

wandered back up to the concierge today to inquire why. Seems that moving a reservation is really a cancel and rebook. But a rebook at on board ship current prices. Yah, well that’s a no go. Not paying $85 pp

Yikes.  Appreciate the info.  We have several bookings for Eden and others at the $45 rate or whatever was prevailing for the others (Rooftop was and is less) at the same time during an upcoming 10 day on Beyond.  We intend to keep the bookings, but good to know as the Luminae menu adjustments hadn't been made at the time of our reservations. 

Edited by Cap_D

it can also get messed up if you  try to use the E +   discount. One bad experience...live and learn!

We booked  our Ascent Special dining ahead with the online discount..grats included.  Then used the E + for a lunch onboard.. this time, Raw on 5...worked well!  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

About last night….

After dinner we wandered through the shops, seems like the variety of logo items is improved over last year. Good place to burn any OBC left.

The nightly donation to the slot gods was dutifully carried out. It appears to be possible to pull out some OBC but they limit how much and how often. I’ll know more in a few days. 

One of our favorite venues on the ship is :

IMG_5650.jpeg

This cruise, and most, there is a nightly game show at 8:30. It’s very close to the theatre so you can typically do the show and then head to the Club or vice versa. 

Pub Trivia was at 9:15 and I continue to be amazed how much common knowledge I don’t have. @KKB, are you listening??😂😂.

We wandered for a while after but headed back to the room for an early bedtime. Seems that first day is always tiring.

mac_tlc

lol I’m on Carnival Splendor sailing S Pacific & NZ right now…saw the Edge in Port Chalmers yesterday.

Missing the challenge of Celebrity trivia…a bit too easy/repetative (on B2B) so tough to compete as a solo! (38/41 on 80s music wasn’t close….several teams w/ 39, even 1 with 40!)

We have Ascent booked for Dec & I can’t wait!!

Enjoying your TR as I am watching for whales

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

We have a tour booked with Dora in Cartagena. 

In Aruba, we arrive at 4pm on Saturday and leave around 6pm Sunday. Plan right now is to just wander. One of our favor places in Amsterdam in Pancakes Amsterdam so we will try to get to Dutch Pancakes on Sunday morning . 

Nothing planned yet in Curaçao.

Meat pie and a Red Stripe is all that is needed in Falmouth Jamaica, and it’s inside the port gate. 

My DW utilizes a wheelchair in ports since she cannot walk very far, and standing for long periods is challenging. She can get on and off any bus. That complicates any port adventure. Dora in Cartagena said the wheelchair can be accommodated on the bus. We are not really beach people but considered a trip to Eagle Beach in Aruba. May still try that.

mac_tlc

We toured with Dora in Cartagena, Columbia and it was the highlight of our cruise!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

This cruise isn't going to Cartagena, Spain.  This Cartagena is in Colombia.

Yes, I know that this one is in Cartagena, Colombia.  I have been there.  Maybe, re-read the entire conversation between myself and the person I quoted.  I taught contemporary world cultures for 30 years, so I really do know the difference.  We were talking about walkable cities, so the individual I was quoting understood what I was saying; sorry you did not understand that.  However, if I am wrong, please always feel free to let me know.  I wrote that  Cartagena (same name) was a very walkable city in Spain, even mentioned my photo taken in Spain. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by Lastdance

47 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

This cruise isn't going to Cartagena, Spain.  This Cartagena is in Colombia.

guess I overlooked the Spain reference..but it sure looked nice.  Hope to see pics of Colombia..the  SA port .

14 minutes ago, hcat said:

guess I overlooked the Spain reference..but it sure looked nice.  Hope to see pics of Colombia..the  SA port .

No, you did not need too; I totally understood, especially about speaking Spanish too…no worries ever!

You mentioned  France and not doing well with French; I was sure you knew Cartagena, Spain due to that reference.  Spanish and Portuguese are not as close as some think, but the people are much kinder than in France, IMHO!

It’s all good on Cruise Critic💖My mind makes so many connections when someone mentions walkable/safe/etc.

Edited by Lastdance