Gratuities,WiFi, Specialty Dining, & Alcohol Included in Princess Grill Fare?

Desert Cruisers

It depends - if you are a US  customer and you book when there is a special grills promotion on, you may get the gratuities and drinks package included as well as one specialty dining meal. Of course it is built into the price, the cost without the promotion may be cheaper. 

2 hours ago, Desert Cruisers said:

Comparing Seabourn and QE Princess Grill fares for Alaska cruise. Seabourn fare includes gratuities, wifi, and all beverages including alcohol.  What is included in the Princess Grill fare - gratuities, alcohol, etc?

Thanks. 

First, there are some very good rates offered via Cunard now so check it out.
Are you in the US? The US Grills Promo includes a Drinks package (for now covering drinks up to $12) and daily Service Charge for two pax ($36+\day). 
Reimbursed WiFi charges come with moving up the loyalty program and nothing to do with Grills: Gold, Platinum,Diamond provides levels of cash given to cover charges. 
You also get $600 OBC in PG and you can get another $100 in OBC for a 10 night voyage by owning 100 shares of Carnival stock. I believe Cunard PG provides great value and if you book a fare, sign up for your QE roll call. 
I’ll be on QE PG this summer in Alaska. 

Edited by NE John

Thanks for info.  Seabourn seems to be a better value than Cunard - no "nickel and diming" on drinks, unlimited wifi, and a true small ship experience.  We are Diamond on Cunard but are giving Seabourn a look.  Get shareholder OBC on both lines.

• Like 3

Come back here and give commentary. I do see Seabourn is markedly more expensive than PG but you’re looking for a very different small ship experience. We have friends sailing on Regent soon and look forward to their feedback too. 

• Like 2

We are from the U.S. and I understand that makes a difference.   When we recently booked our first two Cunard TA's our agent suggested that we include the Treat Yourself on Us add on.  For an additional $200 pp we received  $400 OBC, Enhanced Drink Package and Gratuities.    I thought it was a no-brainer so had it included on a 9 night crossing.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, NE John said:

Come back here and give commentary. I do see Seabourn is markedly more expensive than PG but you’re looking for a very different small ship experience. We have friends sailing on Regent soon and look forward to their feedback too. 

Actually, for the Alaska sailings, Seabourn is not more expensive.  

IMHO Seabourn is a better buy than Cunard Princess Grill.  But the experiences are very different because of the size of the ship and what can be offered.  Figure out what is best for you.

The Princess Grill food will be better than Seabourn.  SB's food has declined in quality in the last few years.  Also expect buffets for breakfast and lunch.  Their main restaurant is closed for b'fast/lunch on most itineraries.  

However, free caviar on Seabourn.  I don't think Princess Grill has that option (QG does).  

5 hours ago, NE John said:

We did an Alaskan cruise with Regent and it was an outstanding experience.....

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/03/21/regent-seven-seas-alaska-cruise/

LaVerandaCaviarforbreakfastSR.jpg.cf584760df8cd308abdbbcf8dffb8c8b.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NE John said:

We cruised on Regent Seven Seas Explorer from Japan to Bangkok in November, then on QE in Princess Grills in January.

The standard Regent Verandah Suite was far superior to the Princess Grills Suite but that's where it stopped. The food was very variable - some dishes were wonderful and others were very poor. Service was also variable, especially in the Compass Rose restaurant. Overall I preferred the look of QE, she is far more elegant. The main "atrium" area on Explorer looked like a boring apartment building. 

We would not cruise with Regent again but are looking at future Cunard cruises.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We cruised on Regent Seven Seas Explorer from Japan to Bangkok in November, then on QE in Princess Grills in January.

The standard Regent Verandah Suite was far superior to the Princess Grills Suite but that's where it stopped. The food was very variable - some dishes were wonderful and others were very poor. Service was also variable, especially in the Compass Rose restaurant. Overall I preferred the look of QE, she is far more elegant. The main "atrium" area on Explorer looked like a boring apartment building. 

We would not cruise with Regent again but are looking at future Cunard cruises.

Your take on Regent is interesting as it's a line, along with Crystal and Silversea we would consider should we fall out of loved with Cunard.

At the moment Cunard suits us. Itineraries are repeated but as has been said, the world is shrinking a bit as far as cruise ship [and ones of a certain size] visits are concerned.

I suppose we're lucky as we have visited the major part of the world in past decades and now the ship is our destination most of the time.

I would be very interested in any review you have written, or might write of Regent.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Desert Cruisers said:

Actually, for the Alaska sailings, Seabourn is not more expensive.  

I just rebooked a 10 night QE June Alaska cruise in PG for ~$6,600 for the cabin, not pp.  Includes all the US Grills Drinks and Free Gratuities promos and $600 OBC.  From what I see online at Seabourn, their price is 2x+ more for a Veranda suite for an 11 nighter vs what I booked on Cunard. 
We don’t have the cruise experience that you do but one day we may look at a smaller ship experience. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2024 at 9:03 PM, Victoria2 said:

Your take on Regent is interesting as it's a line, along with Crystal and Silversea we would consider should we fall out of loved with Cunard.

At the moment Cunard suits us. Itineraries are repeated but as has been said, the world is shrinking a bit as far as cruise ship [and ones of a certain size] visits are concerned.

I suppose we're lucky as we have visited the major part of the world in past decades and now the ship is our destination most of the time.

I would be very interested in any review you have written, or might write of Regent.

I won't be doing a review but if you want my take on Regent v Cunard send me a message on ozkiwijjuliej at optusnet dot com dot au. I'd be happy to chat with you about this.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 5:03 AM, Victoria2 said:

Me too. 

I am doing a TA on QM2 because I wanted to spend more time exploring the ship.

I am considering Oceana or Chrystal for a European cruise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I won't be doing a review but if you want my take on Regent v Cunard send me a message on ozkiwijjuliej at optusnet dot com dot au. I'd be happy to chat with you about this.

Thanks

I've stored the information given here. 🙂

I adore it....  Finnair used to serve it in First Class, with vodka shots from ice-encrusted bottles.... that was a great way to say "farewell to Leningrad!".  I think part of the caviar "thing" is the ritual, ceremony and occasion that must accompany it. 

The last time we did Queens Grill in QM2 back in 2007, they actually "ran out" of caviar on day 2 of a six-day Atlantic crossing... not a happy group after that.

Interesting the comments re. Regent and Seabourn.  My only experience with Seabourn was a luncheon aboard, gosh that must have been in the late 1980s and it was pretty impressive.  Especially the impeccable Scandinavian stewards with Rolex watches (!) which made one feel quite inadequate indeed.  

Despite all the nibbling at the edges, I still rate the cuisine and service in the Grills on QUEEN VICTORIA  as the most consistently excellent I've enjoyed in 50 years of sea travel and only exceeded by First Class on EUGENIO C. 

Caviar:  sustenance of the gods for us.  Enjoyed it immensely in QGrills on QE during a marvellous Cunard experience a year ago.  We’ve sailed twice with Seabourn, and absolutely loved it.  Oceania is also wonderful, and in April we embark Oceana’s new Vista for three weeks, followed by two weeks on Queen Anne in May for her maiden circumnavigation of the British Isles, and her naming ceremony in Liverpool.  It will be truly interesting to compare two new vessels.

On 2/20/2024 at 10:03 AM, Victoria2 said:

@Victoria2

I can give you my take on Cunard not PG but QG [your preferred i know] versus Regent, whether it helps i'm not sure because most things on cruises are very subjective, as you know.

My wife and i are not loyal to any cruise line but have sailed on both Regent and in QG Cunard a few times, both pre and post Covid. We were on both last year, 12 nights in July on Regent Splendor and 14 nights on QE in October Cunard QG. 

@OzKiwiJJ view of Compass Rose is different to ours, we have sailed on 10+ cruise lines and CR is without doubt the best main dining restaurant we have frequented, apart from the daily al a carte menu, this is the always available menu without having to to preorder, although if there is anything you wish not on that you can preorder as well.

Fish & Seafood

Traditional Shrimp Cocktail

American Cocktail Sauce

Alaskan Crab & Avocado

Bloody Mary Sauce

*Norwegian Style Gravlax

Honey-Mustard Dill Sauce

Lobster Bisque

Cognac Cream

MEAT

Iberico Ham

baby Artichokes, Piquillo Peppers

*Black Angus Beef Carpaccio

Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Parmesan

Gratinated Escargots

Garlic Butter, Toasted Baguette

*Pan-Seared Foie Gras

Figs & Port Wine Reduction, Toast d’Epices

*Soft Poached Egg & Black Truffle

Croutons, Asparagus Coulis

SOUP & SALAD

Seasonal Fresh Fruit Cup

Mixed Garden Greens

Choice of Salad Dressing

Classic Caesar Salad

Romaine Lettuce, Anchovies, Croutons, Parmesan Shavings

San Marzano Tomato Soup

Pesto, Bread Croutons

Design Your Entrée

Select the meat, fish or seafood with your favorite sauce & sides

FISH & SEAFOOD

*Jumbo Shrimp

*Lobster Tail

*King Sea Scallops

*Salmon Fillet

Whole Dover Sole

Branzino or Fresh Fish of the Day

SUGGESTED SAUCES

Garlic-Herb Butter

Hollandaise

Lemon Cream

Beurre Blanc

Caper Butter

Creamy Herb

MEAT

*Black Angus New York Strip Steak

*Black Angus Rib Eye Steak

*Black Angus Filet Mignon

*New Zealand Lamb Chops

*Marcho Farms Veal Medallions

Roasted Half Chicken

Smithfield Pork Chop

SUGGESTED SAUCES

Green Peppercorn

Béarnaise or Chimichurri

Madeira-Truffle

Mint Sauce or Mint Jelly

Demi-Glace or Mushroom Sauce

Cranberry Relish or Thai Sweet Chili Sauce

Hickory Barbecue or Apple Sauce

SIDES

Lyonnaise Potatoes ~ Mashed Potatoes ~ Baked Potato ~ Sweet Potato Fries

French Fries ~ Potato Gratin ~ Steamed Rice ~ Vegetable Fried Rice

Buttered Vegetables ~ Steamed Vegetables ~ Sautéed Spinach ~ Green Asparagus

Sautéed Mushrooms ~ String Beans ~ Cauliflower Rice

PASTA

Freshly Cooked Pasta of the Day:

Choice of Pomodoro ~ Pesto ~ Bolognese Sauce

Now after saying that we still consider QG to be the best dining experience at sea, for us the food is no better nor worse but on Regent if you don't have a speciality restaurant reservation then if you like to eat, at peak times like us at 8.00pm then there is very often a slight wait, up to 15 mins [they do come and get you in the bar if you decide to take in an extra drink] whereas you know whatever time you enter QG your table and dining staff will be waiting for you.

The suites are different, Cunard more traditional, Regent are very modern, everyone will have their own take on which they prefer. [ we have not been in the top end suites you travel in though ] 

Everything is included on Regent flights[ if needed ] excursions and drinks which i'm sure you know. at the end of the day everyone have to make their minds up on what suits them best. Us, we would go on either in a heartbeat, in saying that, we take more land holidays than we do cruises. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for this seasickphil . Extremely interesting. My slight seafood intolerance is rearing up to 'the itch' just reading this.😄

To be fair though, my interest in other cruise lines is more for the cabins than menus and for a couple or reasons, an all inclusive holiday would be our last resort and expensive which is one of the reasons we stick with Cunard, that and the wonderful staff and service we receive. It's a sort of PAYG system which suits us.🙂

The next couple of years will be the deal breaker as we have to switch from QV to QA so we will see if staff and service remain top notch.

Thanks again though for taking the time to write all that for me [and others]. I appreciate it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Thanks for this seasickphil . Extremely interesting. My slight seafood intolerance is rearing up to 'the itch' just reading this.😄

To be fair though, my interest in other cruise lines is more for the cabins than menus and for a couple or reasons, an all inclusive holiday would be our last resort and expensive which is one of the reasons we stick with Cunard, that and the wonderful staff and service we receive. It's a sort of PAYG system which suits us.🙂

The next couple of years will be the deal breaker as we have to switch from QV to QA so we will see if staff and service remain top notch.

Thanks again though for taking the time to write all that for me [and others]. I appreciate it.

No problem, unlike you we don't spend much time in our cabins/rooms and it's very rare we dine in them. With my profile name you might guess that position of the cabin is more important to me when cruising.

We are all different and some peoples needs/requirements in what they look for in cruises/holidays are different to others. We still fly regularly although as we get older long haul is becoming much more of a chore. We should actually have been flying out to Rio in just over 2 weeks for a cruise on Regent but my wife's mum is very poorly so we cancelled, families always come first with us and indeed for most people, therefore holidays at the moment will be on hold for us. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seasickphil said:

No problem, unlike you we don't spend much time in our cabins/rooms and it's very rare we dine in them. With my profile name you might guess that position of the cabin is more important to me when cruising.

We are all different and some peoples needs/requirements in what they look for in cruises/holidays are different to others. We still fly regularly although as we get older long haul is becoming much more of a chore. We should actually have been flying out to Rio in just over 2 weeks for a cruise on Regent but my wife's mum is very poorly so we cancelled, families always come first with us and indeed for most people, therefore holidays at the moment will be on hold for us. 

Family comes first. How true.

We book well in advance to make sure we get the cabin of our choice due to the lack of cabins in the grade we want but it's a gamble as to what will be happening two years hence.

We have cancelled two cruises, both for uninsured reasons,  over the last two years and lost most of one booking and the deposit on another.

Family comes first. Always.

• Like 2

Wow... that is an impressive 'any time' menu I must say.

For us, the turn off with Regent is that the set cruises are all those dreadful 10-12 day wonders, at least in the Med.  I suppose you can hook them together but annoying they don't list them with that facility.  I still like my sea days, too.  

But yes, at Grill level, Cunard has lots of potent competition.  Some of their nickel and diming re. what is included at Grill prices is counterproductive at best and at worst, vaguely insulting... "free $12 drinks but we'll raise the prices to $12.30 and thanks very much.." Not smart or wise. 

And Regent sends us those wonderful big brochures too... we haven't gotten anything over six pages from Cunard in five years...

Edited by WantedOnVoyage