No deck 13 on Eclipse?

LB_NJ

15 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

That in of itself wouldn't be of concern, but if your booking confirmation indicates a stateroom starting with "13" as the deck prefix, you may want to call whomever you booked it with - LOL.

Deck seven. Lucky seven if I'm surersitious. 😁

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Yes, but that would be RCCL, not Celebrity.  And although they are sister companies under the RCI parent company, they are operated separately and independently.  Perhaps Celebrity is just more superstitious.....

I only mentioned Royal because most were saying there aren't any Deck 13's.  Princess doesn't have them either, it's not just Celebrity  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the penguins said:

It’s a 100% Swiss owned.

It’s about as Italian as Costa Cruises, or as British as Cunard/P and O, or even the famous Norwegian Line Hurtigruten which is British owned.

Celebrity has lots of Greek Officers but that isn’t a Greek Line.

I can't speak for the other lines you've mentioned but this is simply not true regarding MSC.  

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, the penguins said:

It’s a 100% Swiss owned.

It’s about as Italian as Costa Cruises, or as British as Cunard/P and O, or even the famous Norwegian Line Hurtigruten which is British owned.

Celebrity has lots of Greek Officers but that isn’t a Greek Line.

A little fact checking:

MSC is wholly owned by an Italian family as mentioned.  It's HQ is Swiss based, but it is not Swiss owned.

Costa's origins come from the Costa shipping company formed in 1854 in Genoa Italy.  The cruise line was established from this company in 1948.  Costa Cruises is currently headquartered in Genoa, IT.  It is also a subsidiary of Carnival Corp.

NCL was formed in 1966 by Norway's oldest shipping company.  It is incorporated in Bermuda with its HQ in Miami.

Cunard is in fact quite British with roots to 1840 with a British shipping company.  The cruise line is headquartered in the UK.  It is also a subsidiary of Carnival Corp.

P & O has it's roots to the 1800's with a British shipping company as well.  The cruise line was formed in 1977 and is also headquartered in the UK.  It is also a subsidiary of Carnival Corp.

Hurtigruten does have a majority share ownership since 2015 by the British Company TDR Capital. However it's roots trace back to 1800's Norway, and is headquartered in Oslo, Norway.

Celebrity was originally founded in 1988 by the Greek company Chandris Group.  Celebrity became a subsidiary of RCI in 1997. They are incorporated in Liberia, and headquartered in Miami.

BTW to note, some cruise lines may choose to incorporate and be headquartered in countries not of their origin.  This is usually done as a business convenience and with regard to regulations, tax, and labor laws that are compatible with the cruise industry.  This has very little to do with the atmosphere or on board cruising style of the cruise line.  That may be based on cultural preferences or by marketing design.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

That in of itself wouldn't be of concern, but if your booking confirmation indicates a stateroom starting with "13" as the deck prefix, you may want to call whomever you booked it with - LOL.

The last time we sailed on Friday the 13th was in March of 2020. We all know what happened then! Hope you have better luck!

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

The last time we sailed on Friday the 13th was in March of 2020. We all know what happened then! Hope you have better luck!

It is not I who is sailing on the 13th but @doghog.  I'm sure he will be fine.  I know him to be a brave soul - LOL.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, the penguins said:

Nor on Royal.

Quantum of the Seas has a deck 13.  Or at least she did when we sailed on her in August/September of 2021. 

14 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Quantum of the Seas has a deck 13.  Or at least she did when we sailed on her in August/September of 2021. 

Yeah this was mentioned before.  Odd, RCCL identifies deck 13 (on those ships that have that many decks) on Radiance, Voyager, Freedom, and Quantum class ships, but not on Oasis or Icon class.  Go figure.

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

A little fact checking:

MSC is wholly owned by an Italian family as mentioned.  It's HQ is Swiss based, but it is not Swiss owned.

Costa's origins come from the Costa shipping company formed in 1854 in Genoa Italy.  The cruise line was established from this company in 1948.  Costa Cruises is currently headquartered in Genoa, IT.  It is also a subsidiary of Carnival Corp.

NCL was formed in 1966 by Norway's oldest shipping company.  It is incorporated in Bermuda with its HQ in Miami.

Cunard is in fact quite British with roots to 1840 with a British shipping company.  The cruise line is headquartered in the UK.  It is also a subsidiary of Carnival Corp.

P & O has it's roots to the 1800's with a British shipping company as well.  The cruise line was formed in 1977 and is also headquartered in the UK.  It is also a subsidiary of Carnival Corp.

Hurtigruten does have a majority share ownership since 2015 by the British Company TDR Capital. However it's roots trace back to 1800's Norway, and is headquartered in Oslo, Norway.

luigi 

Celebrity was originally founded in 1988 by the Greek company Chandris Group.  Celebrity became a subsidiary of RCI in 1997. They are incorporated in Liberia, and headquartered in Miami.

BTW to note, some cruise lines may choose to incorporate and be headquartered in countries not of their origin.  This is usually done as a business convenience and with regard to regulations, tax, and labor laws that are compatible with the cruise industry.  This has very little to do with the atmosphere or on board cruising style of the cruise line.  That may be based on cultural preferences or by marketing design.

Fact checking is good.

MSC owned by Gianluigi Aponte and his wife - both are Swiss. The company is also Swiss.

The other lines were indeed founded as you state but are now nothing more than marketing divisions of Carnival (not Celebrity) with very little of their heritage left.

Take Cunard:

claims to be British but all it's onboard prices are in $. It says it's because it uses the Carnival computer system. Which might be true except that P and O, also owned by Carnival, prices everything in £'s.

Take food meals in the MDR all are very much to American rather than British styles - i.e. big on meat and small on veg (both quantity and variety). 

Used to be famous for it's Silver Service i.e. meat on the plate with the vegetables served at the table. Now everything is pre-plated.

Turning to Celebrity these boards are frequently awash with comments that X isn't like it was and how it it is becoming just like Royal.

My original post about Deck 13 was intended to be a light hearted comment but perhaps I forgot to add the 🤣 😂

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, the penguins said:

MSC owned by Gianluigi Aponte and his wife - both are Swiss. The company is also Swiss.

Your post prompted me to do a little more research.  While Aponte was born and raised in Italy, he later became a Swiss citizen and moved his MSC shipping empire (founded in Italy), to Switzerland as well.  I learned something new, so thank you!

Just to bring this full circle, the comment that started this was regarding the omission of a 17th floor on MSC ships, not unlike the 13th deck on Eclipse (and many others), the number 17 is apparently bad luck in Italian culture.  I think it's safe to say that while MSC my now be a Swiss company, the lack of a 17th deck may take root in the fact the Aponte was originally from Italy.

Anyway, thanks for being a good sport!

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 12:57 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

MSC have a deck 13 but no deck 17 on their ships as it is an unlucky number in the Italian culture. 

I always recall my Italian Maternal Grandmother telling me this when I was about to choose June17,1967 for our wedding date. We chose June 24th instead and have been married for 56 years. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Your post prompted me to do a little more research.  While Aponte was born and raised in Italy, he later became a Swiss citizen and moved his MSC shipping empire (founded in Italy), to Switzerland as well.  I learned something new, so thank you!

Just to bring this full circle, the comment that started this was regarding the omission of a 17th floor on MSC ships, not unlike the 13th deck on Eclipse (and many others), the number 17 is apparently bad luck in Italian culture.  I think it's safe to say that while MSC my now be a Swiss company, the lack of a 17th deck may take root in the fact the Aponte was originally from Italy.

Anyway, thanks for being a good sport!

Well it kept us amused, gave our brains a workout and all without anyone being rude or aggressive. Plus I now know Anthem has a Deck 13.

As an aside when I visited the Engine Control Room on Solstice it still had string of Garlic on a shelf - another tradition to keep the ship safe.

• Like 3