Queen Victoria World Voyage 2024

roscoe39

I had been hoping that some one may have been posting from the QV WC this year but alas...looks like its up to me...

Auckland had been in the middle of a bit of a rain drought...that is until yesterday when my favourite queen arrives and the skies

opened. 335 people were embarking and 60 crew were on changeover, and so it could have been a bit of a wet fest if the rain didn't become intermittent.

We got a fabulous send off right on time from Queens Wharf and today we are cruising off down towards Wellington for  tomorrow. Just passing Gisborne as

we speak.  The sea is reasonably calm and she is purring along like a kitten on a cushion.

Some people had mentioned that the ship was beginning to show her age, I dispute that, shes looking magnificent, and the old girl is standing up pretty 

well to a life constantly at sea. I had dinner with friends last night in the MDR at the back of the dining room at one of the large tables by the window 

and the reports of horrendous vibration confused me, there has always been a bit of vibration in the dining room and in my mind it is no worse than it

has ever been in the past. In fact it is familiar and comforting....but then...maybe I am just used to it.

Captain Tomas is on until Singapore when Hoyt will be returning - so the ship has been blessed by two great captains this trip - tonight is one of the WC parties.

Everyone seems happy on board, although I was standing behind a lady at the excursion desk this morning who was complaining that the seats on her last excursion

bus were hard and could she make sure that the next excursions bus she had have softer and wider seats. Judging by what I could see I understood her request for the latter. There was also a lady complaining that apparently a cocktail dress had been stolen from the laundry room and could the ship please ensure there was a security guard in the laundrette to keep her washing safe.

The excursion officer pointed her and her enquiry across the room to the pursers office.

There was only one lecturer on today - disappointing knowing that in the past there were usually at least two a day, not sure if that is the new norm.

Trivial pursuit quiz at 7.30pm? feels a bit incongruous considering its the dinner hour.

Menus so far have had some delightful choices and alas I don't think I will be on a diet this year.

My blog. exitviathegiftshop is up and running...

although the cost of the internet is staggering. $usd24 and $usd36 per day is staggering. so posts may be a little sporadic as it is a bit more than

I budgeted for....

http://exitviathegiftshop.blogspot.com/

Enjoy your day wherever you are....I know I am..........

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, roscoe39 said:

Everyone seems happy on board, although I was standing behind a lady at the excursion desk this morning who was complaining that the seats on her last excursion

bus were hard and could she make sure that the next excursions bus she had have softer and wider seats. Judging by what I could see I understood her request for the latter. There was also a lady complaining that apparently a cocktail dress had been stolen from the laundry room and could the ship please ensure there was a security guard in the laundrette to keep her washing safe.

You seem to attract the H. Buckets of the seas! 
I also hope you put your WC internet credit to good use; your writing is very entertaining and appreciated. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Glad you are having a nice time.

Not been on QV for some years now (Nov 2016 Rome to SOU in QG) and never noticed any serious vibrations and our Suite was right at the stern on Deck 7.
I did find that when the ship cruised ''at speed'' ie: say over 21 knots, I would say there was a noticeable rumble but this did not affect us.
We did eat one evening with friends in the Britannia MDR lower level, and never noticed any such issues.

I assume your short passage at the moment from AKL to Wellington will not be made at high speed...

Look forward to more posts from your Voyage.

We had two aft cabins last year and the only time the vibrations went through our bed and pillow was in a corker of a storm on the second cruise. It was such a corker, the Captain advised us all to find a chair and snooze or read as moving around the ship was a teeny bit hazardous! A normal straight walk down a corridor became a zigzag obstacle course! 🙂

A Roscoe blog.

Wonderful.

I hope I left her in good shape for you, Roscoe, and have a wonderful time!

There were definitely some H. Buckets on board on the leg that I was on - one lady in particular complained about how she knew that 'they' couldn't control the weather in Florida, but couldn't they have done something about the weather in Florida?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, safarigal said:

I so wish I was on board with you and Deirdre and Kim. I am lookinf forward to following along 🙂

Never mind, You'll have the company of me in a couple of months or so on Queen Anne 🍾

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Never mind, You'll have the company of me in a couple of months or so on Queen Anne 🍾

......and that is something I am sooooo looking forward too, but I will miss Roscoe!

• Like 1

I'm afraid I'm going to disagree with Roscoe regarding the vibration in the dining room. It depends on where you are. At dinner, at the very back of deck 3on Sunday and Monday, nothing. But at Monday lunch, on deck 2. Wow! The whole aft starboard quarter of the room shimmied and shook with every panel in the ceiling vibrating. It reminded me of QEII as she altered speed, and accelerated down the Channel.

We were on QV last year coming south from the North  Cape in 45 knots. We were almost at the back of the Britannia on deck 3, vibration was minimal in my opinion,no worst or better than usual.

A number of factors can affect the noise,speed,sea state,following,beam ,quartering or head sea, swell height  and length.

This was illustrated last Oct coming out Lisbon with  a fast flowing spring ebb tide. An almost gale force wind from the west,a classic wind against tide situation, led to very loud bangs and judders for 2 minutes or so.  Once clear of the estuary normality was restored.

• Like 2

Well a great day in Wellington of which I have to report a lot of Dinosaurs!!!

We are quickly departing early so about to lose the internet, currently to mean to pay the  $36 a day..... so will up date more after Chch tomorrow. Blog quickly updated with some pictures but Wellington put on a terrific day.....

On we sail!

• Like 1

sorry slight correction, talking to the Captain last night and he is getting off in Capetown not Singapore..... Lyttleton ..... just got in.....dreary and over cast....could change at any moment.....as this is nz.

There are a number of regulars missing off the ship this year, cheers to absent friends, some permanently some who chose the QM2, I wonder how they feel about it and their now changed itinerary. Quite a lot of the crew are getting ready to depart to the new QA, that often happens as they need the experienced crew for continuity but it does cause a gap on the ship.

Ok time to catch the shuttle, last stop in NZ today then 3 sea days till Sydney

Edited by roscoe39
  • Like 4

second sea day to Australia, yesterday was stunning - a clear blue sky for as far as the eye could see and yet today is back to cloudy although the sun is trying to break through. 

The entertainment so far has been patchy, the quality of a couple of the shows has been questionable but I didn't come for the shows. There was a texan on the other night who was pretty hard to understand - a mixture of bad dad jokes but some amazing piano. Last night there was a Chinese girl with a harpsichord.......enough said.

The food has been great, no complaints there they should be rolling me off this year.

blog being updated

Edited by roscoe39
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1