You choose your cabin- get unwanted upgrade

dog

I always choose my cabin, refundable deposit option when booking online.

I just saw a post by Gerrilyn who boarded the Sun and was surprised to find she was upgraded to a cabana mini suite reserve collection set back from sea. 
I would not want this.

in the past I have had my TA mark no upgrade, but got one anyway.

Anyway to avoid an unwanted upgrade?

• Like 3

I think a lot of us have had this experience over the years.     My CVP always marks our booking with no upgrades, but it did happen once on Royal Princess.  She took over and by the end of the day we had our cabin back.  I can’t image trying to get a resolution without someone at Princess intervening on our behalf.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dog said:

I just saw a post by Gerrilyn who boarded the Sun and was surprised to find she was upgraded to a cabana mini suite reserve collection set back from sea. 
I would not want this.

Agree with @Lady Arwen.  It seems we need to be vigilant as to cabin assignment and if the unexpected happens be able to contact PCL ASAP to get the original cabin assignment restored.  If time has passed, it will be too late.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I think a lot of us have had this experience over the years.     My CVP always marks our booking with no upgrades, but it did happen once on Royal Princess.  She took over and by the end of the day we had our cabin back.  I can’t image trying to get a resolution without someone at Princess intervening on our behalf.

Gerry boarded and found out as she got on Sun!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dog said:

Gerry boarded and found out as she got on Sun!

What?  Was the upgrade a real disappointment for her?  Good news is the ship actually sailed,  but not good news if you’re looking forward to the cabin you chose.  Tell her to let it go and just have a fabulous cruise, as I’m sure she will.  Love to hear her thoughts!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

What?  Was the upgrade a real disappointment for her?  Good news is the ship actually sailed,  but not good news if you’re looking forward to the cabin you chose.  Tell her to let it go and just have a fabulous cruise, as I’m sure she will.  Love to hear her thoughts!

Thing is, she will give it a try.

i would not like that location with shared deck in front of my cabana.

• Like 4

Just now, dog said:

Thing is, she will give it a try.

i would not like that location with shared deck in front of my cabana.

Honestly, it wouldn’t be my choice either.  Sometimes an upgrade is really not an upgrade.  At this point I guess you just make lemonade.  Add vodka. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Honestly, it wouldn’t be my choice either.  Sometimes an upgrade is really not an upgrade.  At this point I guess you just make lemonade.  Add vodka. 

Or book a suite- a higher level from reserve collection mini suite, to avoid unwanted upgrade at embarkation.

• Like 2

We always have our TA mark no UG, also.  But, happened to us on TWO of our b2b’s.  Different cabins.

I watch those cabin numbers and call my TA. Luckily, I caught it.

If they do it on sailing day, then GS is the only hope.  I hope they enjoy their cabin.  I don’t like that deck out front of the cabana either. Weird design IMO.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dog said:

I would not want this.

I don't know if this is the same case but our TA changed the cabin we requested because it accommodated 4 passengers and we are only 2. She made it seem like Princess can bump you if they need that cabin for more passengers. I had never heard that before, but glad we have her to help us.  

Kim

12 minutes ago, VikingRob said:

I don't know if this is the same case but our TA changed the cabin we requested because it accommodated 4 passengers and we are only 2. She made it seem like Princess can bump you if they need that cabin for more passengers. I had never heard that before, but glad we have her to help us.  

Kim

That is probably one of the reasons they do a free UG.  If they need that type of room for various reasons.  But, like a lot of us, we pick our cabin for a lot if different reasons and don’t want a so-called UG.

Did you get your cabin back?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

IMO, a guest can find out before boarding if they were checking their booking info.

Agree, and I look at ours before leaving the hotel.  Not much I can do, but I’d be prepared anyway. 🥴

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Agree, and I look at ours before leaving the hotel.  Not much I can do, but I’d be prepared anyway. 🥴

I haven't talked to her since, but it sounded like she was very surprised when she embarked. A seasoned traveller, just like us.

• Like 1

In the middle of our B2B2B on Enchanted in January, we received a booking confirmation email from Princess stating that we had received a complimentary upgrade for the third leg of our cruise. We had marked our booking “no upgrade”. We didn’t consider the new location to be a desirable move, and it would have involved having to change cabins between segments 2 and 3. The email stated that we had to notify Princess within 48 hours if we wanted to decline the offer. We were at sea for that time period and weren’t able to make phone calls. Guest services stated that they weren’t able to help, other than to allow us one phone call to Princess Corp in California. Of course, we weren’t able to get anyone to answer the phone at Princess, so Guest Services finally agreed to send an email to let Princess know that we wished to decline the offer. It was hours before the 3rd segment of our voyage was to begin that we received a revised booking confirmation showing that we had our original cabin back. This exact chain of events happened last year. What a cluster. We wasted two days of our cruise vacation both years trying to rectify the situation. Does Princess not realize that the passengers whose cabin they are switching are already on the ship and may not even see the notification?  And why should they expect the passengers to rectify the problem while on the ship when Guest Services cannot, or will not, do it on behalf of the passenger?  Sorry for the rant, but just wanted to point out that we must be vigilant for unwanted changes — not only prior to our trip, but also while on the ship. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

She has posted pics on another social media site. I would NOT want to have my “outdoor space” located on public space.  You can’t look out at the ocean in the same way at all. 

Princess needs to get a handle on this issue (which, as others have stated) comes up more often than it should (which is never)), especially since they are now charging extra to choose a specific cabin. 

Edited by PescadoAmarillo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dog said:

I would not want this.

I wonder what cabin "Gerrilyn" had originally booked? If it was a reserve mini suite, I would be unhappy as well, but if she was in a balcony, OV, or inside, she apparently lucked out.

Is this an indicator that people aren't enamored with the cabana concept? I wouldn't want one unless it was a free upgrade.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, beachgirl50 said:

In the middle of our B2B2B on Enchanted in January, we received a booking confirmation email from Princess stating that we had received a complimentary upgrade for the third leg of our cruise. We had marked our booking “no upgrade”. We didn’t consider the new location to be a desirable move, and it would have involved having to change cabins between segments 2 and 3. The email stated that we had to notify Princess within 48 hours if we wanted to decline the offer. We were at sea for that time period and weren’t able to make phone calls. Guest services stated that they weren’t able to help, other than to allow us one phone call to Princess Corp in California. Of course, we weren’t able to get anyone to answer the phone at Princess, so Guest Services finally agreed to send an email to let Princess know that we wished to decline the offer. It was hours before the 3rd segment of our voyage was to begin that we received a revised booking confirmation showing that we had our original cabin back. This exact chain of events happened last year. What a cluster. We wasted two days of our cruise vacation both years trying to rectify the situation. Does Princess not realize that the passengers whose cabin they are switching are already on the ship and may not even see the notification?  And why should they expect the passengers to rectify the problem while on the ship when Guest Services cannot, or will not, do it on behalf of the passenger?  Sorry for the rant, but just wanted to point out that we must be vigilant for unwanted changes — not only prior to our trip, but also while on the ship. 

We have had similar things happen in a series of B2B cruises. For example, we might not be able to get the cabin location we want for the first cruise, so we take the best available, and book the location we do want on subsequent cruises.  Even if we have to move, the moves are simple and close.  Then Princess, noticing that we are on B2B cruises, and despite having the reservations marked no upgrade, will move us into the first cabin for the second cruise, and so on. We have not always been successful in getting the original cabin back.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, phroggie said:

If one made a booking online for a specific cabin, how does one specify "no upgrades"?

If you booked it online with Princess, you would call in and tell them to mark it No upgrade.

If you booked with a TA or CVP call them to mark it.

But, recheck it periodically, as mentioned, they sometimes UG it anyway.

• Like 1