NZ cruise with no Sauvignon blanc

On a 14 day cruise on Grand Princess, left Melbourne for NZ with none of the reasonably priced Sauvignon blanc on board. Cheapest is $98. Stopped 5 times  in NZ and not stocked up. Blatantly profiteering, F&B manager won’t speak to me

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/4/2024 at 10:48 AM, kbt cruiser said:

On a 14 day cruise on Grand Princess, left Melbourne for NZ with none of the reasonably priced Sauvignon blanc on board. Cheapest is $98. Stopped 5 times  in NZ and not stocked up. Blatantly profiteering, F&B manager won’t speak to me

I raised similiar point on the Royal Princess about the lack of Australian/NZ wines available especially when Princess is cruising in this region. From what I can gather is Princess seem to have a deal with a big Calfornia wine maker and have a lot of their wines on board (not that great in my opinion).  I raised the point with Sommelier he but was somewhat rude to me about it all and started arguing with me in the Crown Grill over it all. I  actually complained about him (first time I ever had to complain about Princess crew member) stating I wasn't their to have an argument and I was simply wanting him to acknowledge my point that their was a lack of variety of wines available. He came over later on to apologise.  I believe its Caymus Vineyards.

Edited by icat2000
  • Like 2

On 3/3/2024 at 6:48 PM, kbt cruiser said:

Cheapest is $98

Cloudy Bay?  I remember giving a tasting seminar about 20-25 years ago raving to my attendees how they should seek out this 'barely-known' NZ Sauvignon Blanc at the approachable price of around $16 per bottle.  I guess word got out a bit more than I would have liked.  

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Cloudy Bay?  I remember giving a tasting seminar about 20-25 years ago raving to my attendees how they should seek out this 'barely-known' NZ Sauvignon Blanc at the approachable price of around $16 per bottle.  I guess word got out a bit more than I would have liked.  

Would be about 4X that amount on board plus a double as the prices have gone crazy up.

4 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

How true.  Cloudy Bay is about $29 at Total Wine these days and $44 CAD at Ontario's LCBO Vintages stores/sections (government owned/controlled).  Certainly not near $100.

The last menu price I have for Cloudy Bay on Princess is $84 and then $99 with the gratuity.  Much cheaper to BYOB and pay corkage if you have to.

Im sorry. There’s no way I could cruise without my NZ Sauvignon Blanc. It’s my only drink of choice   Can’t imagine being on a NZ cruise and them not having it onboard.   We did a transpacific in 2022 to NZ and never had any problems getting it but I guess they must have stocked up in the US