Labadee?

2 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

Because they are trying to block the current PM from returning to Haiti. That is why the PM is currently in Puerto Rico. The DR also denied the PM entry

Attacking the airport aligns with their stated goals

You close down an entire airport in order to keep one person out? I suspect the PM is smart enough to know how he will end up if he steps foot in Haiti.

58 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

No because the current cruises were booked ages ago and people don’t have a huge choice now.  And for future cruises already booked I’ve seen lots of comments saying people will

wait and see what the situation is nearer the time. It will be a while before any impact will be seen on bookings.

I’m not saying they should or shouldn’t cancel ( I have no skin in the game, I have no cruise to Labadee), but I think it’s foolish to just write it off as nothing and say there’s nothing going on.

This is silly. Haiti has been a mess for many years. It was a mess 18 months ago when I booked this next cruise. Search “Labadee canceled?” on Google and you’ll see people have been asking about this for many years. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, acethesuperhero said:

They managed to break out of prison in an organized fashion, which likely took months to years to orchestrate - they have a stated political goal - I get that it's easy to dehumanize "criminals who are in a poor country" but they're very much following logic here

Some organized fashion??? They stormed the prison blowing walls and murdering guards. That didn't take years to organize. Gangs control 80% of the capital. Yes it is very easy to dehumanize criminals who rape and murder and escaped prison.  Ask the people in Haiti who are being murdered and rapped by these gangs how they feel. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You close down an entire airport in order to keep one person out? I suspect the PM is smart enough to know how he will end up if he steps foot in Haiti.

The facts don’t bother you. He has been trying to get back. His plane as on the way and had to divert. They took over the airport to specifically block him. 

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Answering questions at Captain’s call is hardly effecting cruising 

Per passengers on Oasis, the captain made an intercom announcement to the ship about the issue. 

• Like 1

Regardless of what peoples opinions are about the current situation in Haiti, UK passengers are not covered by their travel insurance to be in Haiti or Haitian waters.

Some people will have their whole policy invalidated if they travel on Royal to Labadee.

Surely Royal should think about this as well?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RFerrington said:

LOL.  Not even when we were at PDCC !  (Thank God)

LOL.  I wasn't paying attention, but they do play it at CC.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The facts don’t bother you. He has been trying to get back. His plane as on the way and had to divert. They took over the airport to specifically block him. 

I guess he has a death wish.

47 minutes ago, Pochi Hanaki said:

Some organized fashion??? They stormed the prison blowing walls and murdering guards. That didn't take years to organize.

I can tell you're not a project manager: organizing ten people to do one thing is like pulling teeth, let alone 3,000

3 minutes ago, zeberdee said:

Regardless of what peoples opinions are about the current situation in Haiti, UK passengers are not covered by their travel insurance to be in Haiti or Haitian waters.

Some people will have their whole policy invalidated if they travel on Royal to Labadee.

I presume they would allow such passengers to move to a different sailing. No lack of options sailing from Florida. 

10 minutes ago, zeberdee said:

If that is true Royal needs to give those passengers an option to cancel without penalty.  Yes, they should think about it. I would not be surprised if they paused sailings to Labadee. 

22 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I guess he has a death wish.

I think he knows more than we do. He might have his own gang. Who assassinated Haiti’s President? Very gang like. Who gained? 

53 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I understand the logic, but why doesn't he fly to the DR and drive over?

10 minutes ago, exm said:

I understand the logic, but why doesn't he fly to the DR and drive over?

The DR won’t let him land at their airport. The DR seems to really be trying to stay out of it and focus on fortifying their own border with Haiti. 

36 minutes ago, prmssk said:

The DR won’t let him land at their airport. The DR seems to really be trying to stay out of it and focus on fortifying their own border with Haiti. 

The DR can't rule out that the gangs could be the next government. 

1 hour ago, acethesuperhero said:

I can tell you're not a project manager: organizing ten people to do one thing is like pulling teeth, let alone 3,000

I am not sure what this means at all. If there is a fire in a building do you need a project manager to organize them to leave? These are criminals who just had their jail cells opened up by gangs. You think they then sat in a class for several hours to organize how they should leave? Kids in grade school know how to line up and leave a building. I don't think people understand the true situation in Haiti. These are gangs that are taking over the country these are not political opposition leaders. 

5 minutes ago, Pochi Hanaki said:

I am not sure what this means at all. If there is a fire in a building do you need a project manager to organize them to leave? These are criminals who just had their jail cells opened up by gangs. You think they then sat in a class for several hours to organize how they should leave? Kids in grade school know how to line up and leave a building. I don't think people understand the true situation in Haiti. These are gangs that are taking over the country these are not political opposition leaders. 

Buildings do have evacuation plans and procedures if there is a fire. As far as whether they are opposition leaders or not...... I hate to be cynical but I would not be sure the current government is any different from the gangs. Who killed the President? Who benefited? It seems those who are governing now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

I presume they would allow such passengers to move to a different sailing. No lack of options sailing from Florida. 

A passenger’s poor travel insurance policy is not a reason for Royal to grant exceptions to their rules. 

6 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

A passenger’s poor travel insurance policy is not a reason for Royal to grant exceptions to their rules. 

It’s not a question of a “poor travel insurance policy”.  No UK travel insurance will cover you and UK citizens would not be able to buy a US policy.

4 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

Its also foolish to be scaremongering as well and presenting all these far fetched scenarios.

Stay grounded in reality. Yes, Haiti is in turmoil and Royal is fully aware of the situation. 

All I asked was if RC had acknowledged the situation as it stands. I didn’t present any scenarios or scaremongering.

1 hour ago, Donsyb said:

It’s not a question of a “poor travel insurance policy”.  No UK travel insurance will cover you and UK citizens would not be able to buy a US policy.

It is a poor policy, sorry but that’s a fact. This can not be the problem of Royal Caribbean. 
If a UK policy won’t cover a destination like Labadee it’s a wonder UK travelers can ever have travel insurance. There is, at any given time, a half dozen or so islands in the Caribbean on some sort of watch list. 

• Like 2

Just now, not-enough-cruising said:

It is a poor policy, sorry but that’s a fact. This can not be the problem of Royal Caribbean. 
If a UK policy won’t cover a destination like Labadee it’s a wonder UK travelers can ever have travel insurance. There is, at any given time, a half dozen or so islands in the Caribbean on some sort of watch list. 

UK policies will not cover you to visit any country that the foreign office has advised against travelling to. Whether you think it’s poor or not, it will affect all U.K. based cruisers and is standard practice here. I would not be surprised if RC made some kind of allowance for this based on the significant number of Brits who sail with them - they are likely to be aware of it.