Is anyone concerned about going to Amber Cove because of the 4000 inmates released in Haiti?

7 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I think the point is no-one is saying not to go, but to be aware.  I cannot think of a place we decided not to travel to because of heightened security other than one (the Holy Land),  But all should def understand and take reasonable precautions when traveling to some of these areas.  

I guess that was my point I just made it poorly, Is you should use caution whenever you travel rather you traveling within the US or on a cruise, or overseas. Bad things can happen anywhere. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Paelos said:

Zero chance I'd get off the ship for Haiti now, and it's not about living in fear, it's simple risk/reward. I can have a below average beach day in a port that's honestly a sub-tier version of Coco-Cay, with the downside of finding myself cut of from the ship if gangs storm the gate and try to take hostages.

Likely to happen? No. Then again, I bet if I took bets that gangs would overrun a prison everyone would have said that's insane, why would they even try?

Yet here we are.

Pretty sure Royal doesn't let Pax just wander outside of the Cruise area without going on an approved excursion. 

5 hours ago, aborgman said:

NYC last year had 4.5 murders per 100,000 people.

Haiti last year had 42 murders per 100,000 people.

NYC had 386 murders last year. If they had a murder rate equal to Haiti - it would have been 3,570.

How many of those in Labadee?...hmmmm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Pretty sure Royal doesn't let Pax just wander outside of the Cruise area without going on an approved excursion. 

Pretty sure a chain link fence won't stop gangs from coming in.

5 hours ago, aborgman said:

NYC last year had 4.5 murders per 100,000 people.

Haiti last year had 42 murders per 100,000 people.

NYC had 386 murders last year. If they had a murder rate equal to Haiti - it would have been 3,570.

The Haitian police force is little more than Barney and his bullet. The gangs are better armed and have more bullets. Haitian police force is about 9000. The Dominican police force has 32,000 members. NYC has about 36,000.

640px-Don_Knotts_Barney_and_the_bullet_A

1 hour ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

I guess that was my point I just made it poorly, Is you should use caution whenever you travel rather you traveling within the US or on a cruise, or overseas. Bad things can happen anywhere. 

We agree

36 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

How many of those in Labadee?...hmmmm

Labadee becomes a ghost town after the ship leaves at 4PM and the place shut down. There is no one hanging around to get murdered.

If the port area is secure, you need not worry about what's happening in the rest of the country.

On my recent trip to Cabo San Lucas on Panorama. an entire squad of Mexican Marines with their assault weapons was stationed in the port area. Doesn't matter how bad the gangs are nearby, the port was safe as could be!

21 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Not sure it makes sense but rcl has been cancelling water excursions in labadee. You cant leave the rcl compound. Kayaking jet skis sightseeing boat.. cancelled. 

2 hours ago, marshalltp said:

Are any Haitians or Dominicans concerned that Carnival is releasing 4000 in Amber Cove almost daily?

4,000 dangerous men with money in the pockets and 24k magic in the air. Who wouldn't be concerned?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, marshalltp said:

Are any Haitians or Dominicans concerned that Carnival is releasing 4000 in Amber Cove almost daily?

Don’t think the islanders cruise on carnival or strictly Disney? 

Royal is scrapping Labadee altogether - for now.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/royal-caribbean-cancels-shore-excursions-labadee

•  
  •  

(March 14, 2024) -- A day after Royal Caribbean began canceling shore excursions in Labadee, Haiti in response to ongoing unrest in the Caribbean nation, Royal Caribbean has informed passengers it will be scrapping future calls to its private destination at Labadee.

In a post on Facebook, Royal Caribbean executive Michael Bayley announced that the line would scrub all calls on Labadee for the next seven days, with three day advance notice provided to passengers scheduled to sail there in the coming weeks.

"We have suspended calls into Labadee, Haiti for the next 7 days and will continue suspension on a rolling basis with 3 days advance notification to our guests sailing on itineraries impacted and changed as we monitor and evaluate the situation in Haiti."

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/royal-caribbean-cancels-shore-excursions-labadee

•  
  •  

(March 14, 2024) -- A day after Royal Caribbean began canceling shore excursions in Labadee, Haiti in response to ongoing unrest in the Caribbean nation, Royal Caribbean has informed passengers it will be scrapping future calls to its private destination at Labadee.

In a post on Facebook, Royal Caribbean executive Michael Bayley announced that the line would scrub all calls on Labadee for the next seven days, with three day advance notice provided to passengers scheduled to sail there in the coming weeks.

"We have suspended calls into Labadee, Haiti for the next 7 days and will continue suspension on a rolling basis with 3 days advance notification to our guests sailing on itineraries impacted and changed as we monitor and evaluate the situation in Haiti."

was just going to post this, who was it (not you another poster) that said Labadee ...hmmmm, now?

28 minutes ago, Shipcats6 said:

Thank you for reminding me why I no longer want to post on this forum.

it was a serious post.  Things will get better, the question is when.  Obviously lots of people have cruises that go here.  Information on what that is better than no information.  oh...you are welcome.

2 hours ago, Rob-Bob said:

wow.  We are headed there in November.  I hope things get straightened out by then.

November is a lifetime away time wise.  That said, Haiti has been a MESS for a very long time.  My guess is that with a couple of months, there will be a new government or some group in charge, and everything will calm down and cruises will resume.  Money DOES make the world go around and all these entities know that.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately, things haven't gotten better in failed states like Somalia, Libya, Sudan and the likes. And Haiti is now in the same league as them.

Edited by sfaaa

13 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

•  
  •  

They started rerouting people yesterday. Some got a sea day. DR, coco cay or Nassau. Only sending emails 3 days in advance which isnt giving people time to book a new excursion. No point in complaining, cant change things. I'm scheduled there over xmas. Too soon to know.

It's the right call. At some point an actual person with foresight got to the upper leadership at RCL and reminded them if any incident happened to passengers the company would basically never recover. That risk isn't worth the short term revenue for the stop in Labadee.

8 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Unfortunately, things haven't gotten better in failed states like Somalia, Libya, Sudan and the likes. And Haiti is now in the same league as them.

Thankfully not many cruise to there.