Is anyone concerned about going to Amber Cove because of the 4000 inmates released in Haiti?

Posted (edited)

Granted they are 2 different countries, but they share the same small island.  It's not a stretch to imagine that some of these inmates may make their way over to the Dominican Republic.  It will probably be okay in the immediate port area, but I don't know if I would venture too far from there.

Here's a link to the story: https://www.foxnews.com/world/armed-gangs-jailbreak-4000-inmates-haiti-days-long-gun-battle-police

Edited by Jeafl
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jeafl said:

Granted they are 2 different countries, but they share the same small island.  It's not a stretch to imagine that some of these inmates may make their way over to the Dominican Republic.

Here's a link to the story: https://www.foxnews.com/world/armed-gangs-jailbreak-4000-inmates-haiti-days-long-gun-battle-police

There are a few different threads here on CC with varied opinions about the prison break and how it may affect Laberdee. Amber Cove is in the DR. But given the volatility on those islands, I'm guessing the cruise lines are keeping a close watch. All it would take is some small incident and those locations would become a ghost town for a long time.  

• Like 2

The Dominican Republic is aware of the situation. The thugs want the current dictator to step down as he promised some time ago. Currently he isn't even in the country.

• Like 1

A tour guide told our excursion a few years ago that few Haitians ever came over the mountains into the DR even when Haiti was in dire straits.  There is nothing drawing them over no benefits, no family, no jobs, different culture.

It's about 65 miles from Amber Cove to the Haitian border in a straight line. There are places in Puerto Rico closer to La Romana than Haiti. Port au Prince and Croix des Bouquets are not close to the border.

Posted (edited)

From what I can gather from some online research, it's actually quite hard to cross the border from Haiti to the DR even if you aren't a prison escapee.  Their border is actually quite secure,

That makes sense to me.  Haiti is much poorer than the Dominican Republic, and it is very politically unstable.  If it were easy to get to the Dominican Republic from Haiti, the DR would be overwhelmed with hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of economic and political refugees.  

Edited by staceyglow

Unlike Haiti which has a very small and poorly equipped army, Dominion Republic has a fairly well armed and sizable army, navy and air force to protect its territory. Haitian gangs will be in over their heads if they cross into DR to cause trouble.

Posted (edited)

My view is be smart.  If we live in fear, and not travel to any place that has a security concern, we go no where no Mexico, no Bahamas, no DR, no Jamaica, no Europe, no far east, no South America, no Canada, no Alaska, no east cast of US, no west coast, no Australia, and it goes on and on, .  If we travel with eyes open we travel and act intelligently, things will be fine.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We're going to the Dominican for 2 weeks later this summer for vacation as we always do and I'm not the least bit concerned. We travel between Punta Cana & Santo Domingo while there. 

• Like 1

Not concerned, I expect that this will be resolved by the time we sail and if it does pose a significant threat to passenger safety Carnival would re-route us.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

A tour guide told our excursion a few years ago that few Haitians ever came over the mountains into the DR even when Haiti was in dire straits.  There is nothing drawing them over no benefits, no family, no jobs, different culture.

While this is good insight, I wonder what the precedent is behind 4000 escaped inmates. Surely, they aren't all in plain sight in Haiti, just waiting around?

30 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

While this is good insight, I wonder what the precedent is behind 4000 escaped inmates. Surely, they aren't all in plain sight in Haiti, just waiting around?

I think the criminals pay better not to be found.

5 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I think many probably are. The government (using the term loosely) is corrupt and incompetent. I think the gangs are in charge at the moment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I think many probably are. The government (using the term loosely) is corrupt and incompetent. I think the gangs are in charge at the moment.

I think it's hard to draw any line in the sand of where 4000 people may or may not be. I doubt they all have the same plans. 

22 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I think it's hard to draw any line in the sand of where 4000 people may or may not be. I doubt they all have the same plans. 

We can draw our own conclusions

The leader of a gang alliance:

The 46-year-old Cherizier, alias "Barbeque," was formerly an officer of the Haitian National Police force. As a police officer, he is alleged by the United Nations to have played a role in multiple massacres, including the killing of over 70 people in 2018, when over 400 homes in the capital's La Saline neighborhood were set on fire.

Cherizier, who is originally from the Delmas area of Port-au-Prince and often makes public appearances in a beret and camouflage, gun in hand, went on to announce the creation in 2020 of a gang alliance. Headed by him, it brought together nine capital area gangs and is called G9 Family and Allies.

The 4k Haitian escaped inmates are not in hiding. Don't need to. They have rejoined their gun toting gangster homeboys and are trying to take over the country.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Royal Caribbean is still porting IN Haiti. Labadee. A private port leased by Royal. In must be safe. 🙂

I just read an article about that. It's a fenced/gated property.  And it said that even before this, they did not let cruisers leave the property to explore on their own. Also excursions are only right there offshore of the property.