LIVE from the SUN Princess - 9 Mar 2024 - 10-Day Mediterranean - Second Voyage

2 hours ago, Hollyann said:

For those arriving early in Athens you may wish to read… FYI - we arrive in Athens on May 1 - which was scheduled to be their "Labor day" and we were aware that some sites may be closed for their holiday. (We were fine with it as we figured we would be exhausted from travel.) We had a tour booked with Georges Taxi on Friday, May 3 and were planning on buying tickets to the Acropolis on April 1 for the tour when the tickets were supposed to go on sale. We received the following email from George's Taxi yesterday and thought I'd share for those that are arriving early:

"We hope all is well. We got informed that the government made and might make some changes at the days and times the sites will be open during the days of Greek orthodox Easter.

It has moved the Labor day (1 May 2024) to be holiday on 7 May 2024. Also the Great Friday and Great Saturday (3 May and 4 May 2024) the sites may not be open at their full schedule (might open a little later and close a little earlier).

That is something that is not yet confirmed and we will know around mid April. Until then do not buy in advance tickets as we might need to change pick up time and we will communicate again at mid April that we will know better. ( Last year they did not change the schedules of the sites, we hope they will not change it this year but as you understand that is something out of our control).

I thought that may affect some plans so I would pass it along. All I know is what you see above.

**NOTE: If you google when Labor Day in Athens Greece is, it DOES still show it as May 1. However, since George’s Taxi is in Greece, I think they would have more up-to-date info. They are very highly rated on Cruise Critic and TripAdvisor which is why we booked with them.

I posted this on a May 4th Facebook group that I belong to yesterday and one person said that her Friday tour was already changed from a 9:00 am to a 12:00 start.  A couple of people who have Viator tickets said that they had not heard anything about their tours being changed yet.

We were fortunate that I could move our tour with Georges Taxi to Thursday so that we can still have a full day tour.  (We had already booked tickets for Thursday afternoon to the Acropolis Museum a few weeks ago that fit nicely in with George's Best of Athens tour)

Just thought everyone may want to have a heads up. On the bright side, assuming the email is correct, it looks like everything should now be open on May 1 – the original Labor Day date and now we may be able to join in the celebration for Greek orthodox Easter. I have fond memories of going to the festival with my grandmother when I lived in Florida.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hollyann said:

For those arriving early in Athens for the May 4th cruise.... you may wish to read...

Oops - so very sorry - meant to post this in my May 4th cruise thread 🙄

This one keeps to the front because I have THOROUGHLY been enjoying following it - thank you so very much for all of your posts!!!

Edited by Hollyann
  • Like 1

@CanadianBurger Since this thread is my current addiction, I would be remiss if I did not say THANK YOU for taking the time from your vacation to give your impressions of the Sun Princess. You went above and beyond researching the various venues and answering everyone’s questions. Princess, if you are reading this, do something special for this man and his wife! Best wishes and Safe travels 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ILUVHOCKEY said:

Is there a photo of the menu for Sabatini.  Just worried if it is a limited menu as it seems on the Sun it is a reduced menu for most things.

From the app…

IMG_3598.thumb.jpeg.966866b04cb33a037f38f6b44d421ea5.jpeg

IMG_3599.thumb.jpeg.228d7628ee863ef897c1daf5ddbcf9fb.jpeg

IMG_3600.thumb.jpeg.0bd32a218769c4b8130ed198e94b79d6.jpeg

IMG_3601.thumb.jpeg.00451fed14ed19d7fd8224bc695ff368.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think it has been mentioned here, but how do the reservations for the main dining room work?  We typically like set, fixed dining at a share table, so that looks like it would be deck 6.  

It is too early for us to book dining, so I was just curious how this worked. Can you specify deck, time and table size on the app?

Our last Princess sailing was just before they introduced medallions. 

3 hours ago, that said:

@CanadianBurger

thank you for all your “Live” posts on all your voyages.

Wondering…

does the Sun horn play the Love Boat Theme? 

Yes, but they only played it on two occasions, and only once each time. I think some European ports have noise restrictions. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, blizzard44ca said:

What is the dress code for American Diner? Does it follow “smart casual” and “formal”, or is it casual any time?

TIA!

Good question. I have no idea. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

@CanadianBurger Question about the DORO - Claudio Giuliani. When I met him on the Royal Princess in 2022 (sailed twice with him that year), he was everywhere, all the time, all at once. I had a few issues that he assisted me with in the most professional manner.

All of the restaurants on that ship at that time benefited greatly from his style of leadership. I notice that his name was on the roster for your ship and wonder if you have seen him around - doing more of the same. 

TIA for your observations on this one. 

No, don’t think I’ve seen him anywhere. I think the restaurant staff could use a little more firm leadership. But more on that after the cruise. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shorty52 said:

Firstly, would like to thank you for all of your postings.   How many “elegant” nights are there?  Also, are many people getting fancy?   DH trying to decide if he should bring a suit.   The last few celebrity cruises, we noticed more gentlemen not wearing suits and ties.   Thank you!

Two formal nights. The Med is always better dressed than the Caribbean. The vast majority were in suits and ties, at least those I saw. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, phonejock said:

Princess, if you are reading this, do something special for this man and his wife! Best wishes and Safe travels 

Please give him and his wife a cruise extension for the next sailing so this wonderful Live doesn’t have to end!!! Princess are you listening? He has given you some amazing coverage and reviews of your new ship. Best we have seen from anyone!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I don’t think it has been mentioned here, but how do the reservations for the main dining room work?  We typically like set, fixed dining at a share table, so that looks like it would be deck 6.  

It is too early for us to book dining, so I was just curious how this worked. Can you specify deck, time and table size on the app?

Our last Princess sailing was just before they introduced medallions. 

Yes, you can choose early or late, which will put you on deck 6, and whether or not you want to share a table. I don’t believe you can specify a table size. There are very few large tables. Mostly 2 and 4-top. Since we only went there one night, and didn’t stay, I have no idea if the description in the app is accurate. 

IMG_3602.thumb.jpeg.5be15e8d557625c82dbfc1c884ab51f2.jpeg

• Like 3

Thank you very much for all of the information and images that you’ve shared. You took so much of your vacation to give to those of us waiting our turn. You are greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CanadianBurger said:

Yes, you can choose early or late, which will put you on deck 6, and whether or not you want to share a table. I don’t believe you can specify a table size. There are very few large tables. Mostly 2 and 4-top. Since we only went there one night, and didn’t stay, I have no idea if the description in the app is accurate. 

IMG_3602.thumb.jpeg.5be15e8d557625c82dbfc1c884ab51f2.jpeg

Has the deck 6 dining room really been open for breakfast and lunch on sea days?

Somehow I got the impression that only deck 8 Americana was open.

• Like 1

Reserve Dinner tonight. Again, highs and lows. This is how the tomato soup was presented. I thought it was a joke, as the waiter put it down and left. But he came back in a minute with a mini pitcher and poured it into the bowl. Thankfully, it was tasty. 

I had “land and land”. I must say, the beef on this ship, in any form (pot roast, tenderloin, Wellington, filet) has been outstanding. The most tender and flavorful beef I have ever experienced on a ship, if not anywhere. 

The one-and-only soufflé on this cruise (!) was very good. 

IMG_3573.thumb.jpeg.d1149b1beac34d81d664525143fba916.jpeg

IMG_3574.thumb.jpeg.a89188c1ff92c2118156a4ba7e14244e.jpeg

IMG_3575.thumb.jpeg.15b1c1bcb80369d72b519056728c60bd.jpeg

IMG_3576.thumb.jpeg.4aaba0c4dfcdf20d00b19a6ec597874f.jpeg

IMG_3577.thumb.jpeg.3e41f124b6ee88ea1c07c7173af93964.jpeg

IMG_3579.thumb.jpeg.4800336a049d28aab33c1bf02b134460.jpeg

IMG_3578.thumb.jpeg.479d38304c025e4fb91c5ea0c08cc7ba.jpeg

IMG_3580.thumb.jpeg.c6250636b63c420f7291f2d2cca67b2b.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, CanadianBurger said:

Reserve Dinner tonight. Again, highs and lows. This is how the tomato soup was presented. I thought it was a joke, as the waiter put it down and left. But he came back in a minute with a mini pitcher and poured it into the bowl. Thankfully, it was tasty. 

I had “land and land”. I must say, the beef on this ship, in any form (pot roast, tenderloin, Wellington, filet) has been outstanding. The most tender and flavorful beef I have ever experienced on a ship, if not anywhere. 

The one-and-only soufflé on this cruise (!) was very good. 

IMG_3573.thumb.jpeg.d1149b1beac34d81d664525143fba916.jpeg

IMG_3574.thumb.jpeg.a89188c1ff92c2118156a4ba7e14244e.jpeg

IMG_3575.thumb.jpeg.15b1c1bcb80369d72b519056728c60bd.jpeg

IMG_3576.thumb.jpeg.4aaba0c4dfcdf20d00b19a6ec597874f.jpeg

IMG_3577.thumb.jpeg.3e41f124b6ee88ea1c07c7173af93964.jpeg

IMG_3579.thumb.jpeg.4800336a049d28aab33c1bf02b134460.jpeg

IMG_3578.thumb.jpeg.479d38304c025e4fb91c5ea0c08cc7ba.jpeg

IMG_3580.thumb.jpeg.c6250636b63c420f7291f2d2cca67b2b.jpeg

Is that a DIY souffle sauce vessel?

Are they not serving any vegetables to accompany the main or salads?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CanadianBurger said:

The vast majority are well dressed in jackets and dresses. But then again, I didn’t check the buffet area. 

The buffet area can wear what they want, it’s just the MDRs that should hold to a minimum standard on formal nights, some of the other ships have been letting things slide

• Like 1