Incorrect? Name on Flight Reservation

Posted (edited)

For our upcoming repositioning cruise, we arranged our own transportation to the embarkation port since we're flying to FLL early, but had HAL handle flights back home.

In my original "Fly/Cruise Schedule" dated 08/15/23. The document asked me to "verify your full name and date of birth to make sure it matches the identification document that you will be presenting at the airport."  I looked over all of the details on the HAL documentation and everything looked perfect.

A few months later, I received an updated schedule because one of my flights had changed.  It was not a big change and didn't cause me any grief, so I accepted it. Again, I checked all details and everything was fine.

Today, a month out from departure, I decided to print some documents and re-check all the details.

When I logged on to Air France and entered the 6 digit LOC, I got a bit of a surprise.  My first and middle names have been combined in their system.  As an example, if my correct name were Steven James Morgan (it's not), then they have it listed as Stevenjames Morgan.

I checked on Air Canada (the second leg of my flight home) and they have the same incorrect information. It's not a surprise since the entire trip seems to be ticketed through AF.

I called HAL Flight Ease and the rep there assured me that it "SHOULDN'T" be a problem.  I asked her to email me a confirmation that it "WOULDN'T" be a problem.  She forwarded me another copy of the "Fly/Cruise Schedule" which again showed my name correctly.

I found some reassurance on another site where it was stated that all airline ticketing would have names in the format of "MORGAN/STEVENJAMES". No space at all between names.

I travel with a NEXUS card, which makes me a "Trusted Traveler" to TSA but I also know that NEXUS carries zero weight outside of NA.

Can anyone here comment?  If I need to get stuck anywhere, then Amsterdam would be near the top of my list, but all things considered, I'd like to minimize any drama.

Edited by PitCritter
Typo

Hopefully will not be a problem. Our air for our November Seabourn cruise came from Seabourn's flight people (probably the same folks who do HAL's air) and they did the same thing to our names. We had no trouble with the airline and security checks - we were, however, flying RT domestic, not international. Do not understand why the names came out as they did. 

This is how all our recent flights (most of which have been international) have appeared, combining our first and middle names. No one batted an eye going through TSA, immigration, the airlines. 

• Like 1

Happened to me too. I did some research on either Flight Ease or my airlines website. Somewhere in faqs it said that it was ok if that happened. I’ll try to find it later. 

That is very normal for airlines to list your names that way. We flew home from Australia last month and Air New Zealand had my name as TerryAlan then my last name. This has also happened with AA and United in the past. It is not a big deal and you will have no problems boarding.

Posted (edited)

Hi, former airline employee here... as long as the name is correct, it's not an issue if it's run together in the first name 'space' and not spaced out first, middle, last.  as long as  the name(s) on the documents match. 

example: if the passport is issued in the name of Robin Rae Williams, and the resv reads Robinrae williams, it will be ok.  it's if the name(s) don't match that will raise an issue.  Example: Legal name is Roberta Rae Williams, but nickname is Robin, and booking was made under Robin instead of Roberta,  that's not going to work.  

hope this helps

Edited by tutuwahineLV
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It has been this way for my husband and me for years (maybe even decade +), regardless of how we book. It has never come up as a question at all. I traveled 50% with my job and not once was it a problem. 

Even then, the names are not 100% correct. As an example, let’s say husband’s name is Michael Kent Smith (it’s not), yet it will show up as MichaelKen Smith (without the “t”) and this isn’t an issue. I assume there is a character limit and the “t” exceeds that limit. 

We have often had a similar issue with names (often first and middle) that are combined by the airlines.  That has never been an issue and is usually due to the airline's own reservations system.  If in doubt, call the airline (have your airline reservation number).  

Hank

Happens to me every time and never been an issue.

What is an annoying consequence; however, is my name is too long and there are not enough spaces to fully display so when they send it to the airline it does not exactly match my passport. Most recent trip this promoted someone at HAL to change my "internal" profile to match which caused a log in issue..  As Pooh would say "oh, bother."