Removed 5 Star by 9 Points

After our 51 day cruise in Dec/Jan we were awarded 5 star mariners!

Well not so fast. Our wonderful beverage director noticed we were charged way too much on our beverages, so refunded our bottles of champagnes and other specialty drinks. Oh why, why, why did I ask about those drinks! Lol. 

Still have our free laundry! 

• Haha 11

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

After our 51 day cruise in Dec/Jan we were awarded 5 star mariners!

Well not so fast. Our wonderful beverage director noticed we were charged way too much on our beverages, so refunded our bottles of champagnes and other specialty drinks. Oh why, why, why did I ask about those drinks! Lol. 

Still have our free laundry! 

Don’t worry about it.

You’ll be there on your next cruise and honestly, being 5* is no big deal.

there’s not much extra and you either book your “free” Pinnacle Dinner  and fight at times for the other 25% or wait and can’t get in.  We used the Canaletto on the K for it.  What a bargain 😬 

Once you hit 4* you have the key benefits IMO.  5* is not a big deal IMO

• Like 13

Yes no biggie on 5 star but curious minds want to know what will happen to us based on Gus's comment about having "too many at the top tier" when asked about "watered down benefits". Maybe his response was more about priority boarding and not overall benefits, but HAL will need to look into another tier, better benefits or something. And then CCL will need to align across all brands (which is more unlikely). 

• Like 2

When corporations start adding new tiers to their rewards programs, the end result is that those in the top tiers get downgraded and upper tiers become difficult to attain.  

TLDR:  Additional tiers devalue points.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With my lack of cruising ability [mobility issues and a solo] - I will probably never get to 5.

I like what I got for 4 - so I'm satisfied. And enjoyed all my cruises.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

When corporations start adding new tiers to their rewards programs, the end result is that those in the top tiers get downgraded and upper tiers become difficult to attain.  

TLDR:  Additional tiers devalue points.

Not sure I follow. If they make a 6 star (750 points) that gets 2 more dinners in alternative dining (or even adds Rudi dinner) or additional benefits above 5* (more spa benefits?) or even true priority boarding, how does that downgrade what 5 star already has. They would need to find benefits between the new level and Presidential (which after 1400 actual DAYs still need invitation, I'll never see one). We definitely don't want to reduce 5 star benefits by adding another level. But after getting to 500 points there is a long spread to reach Presidential with no added benefits during those 900 days. But HAL really doesn't have incentive to change, even if there are "too many at the top", as they save (or profit more) from not having to provide these to newer HAL cruisers. But when 70+% of the cruises on some itineraries are 4 and 5 stars, it's hard to show appreciation and that's where dilution shows. Currently we value benefits of 4 star more than 5 (just our opinion) but  mostly because our longer itineraries make higher level diluted with so many in the same boat (intended). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, REOVA said:

Not sure I follow. 

I’ll give you an example.  Years ago, I worked my way up to Gold status in Marriott.  That was my goal, at the time, because it gave you guaranteed access to the Concierge Lounge, among other benefits.

Not long after, they added more tiers and devalued the benefits for the other tiers.  I no longer had access to the lounge because that benefit now began at Platinum and would take additional years to achieve.  Again.

That’s what I mean by devalued points.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The last time we were on HAL we chuckled when we noticed there was no longer a special 5* queue at Guest Relations.  It had been replaced with a special line for Club Orange.  I guess that is kind of a downgrade in benefits.  The other issue, with watered down benefits, has to do with various "priority" given to 4-5* Mariners.  When is "priority" not really priority.  When just about everyone else gets the same benefit or if folks can simply buy-in to that benefit (like with CO).

Hank

• Like 2

@Seasick SailorCongratulations on being so close to 5 stars!

Just wondering about when you can move up a level.  I needed one day to move to 4 star when I embarked on Sunday.  I am staying on for a second week but booked the cruise as a “collector” not a b2b.  Any advice on how I can get my 4th star for next week?  Really looking forward to the free laundry.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Just wondering about when you can move up a level.  I needed one day to move to 4 star when I embarked on Sunday.  I am staying on for a second week but booked the cruise as a “collector” not a b2b.  Any advice on how I can get my 4th star for next week?  Really looking forward to the free laundry.

I know roll call members who called the Mariner’sSociety prior to cruising and received confirmation they could be upgraded. (It only works if you only need days less than the length of your cruise - which you do).  They then went to Guest Services before the next segment started to request it and were upgraded.

Now, they were on B2B’s not collectors’ so I’m not sure if Guest Services would be amenable or not but it doesn’t cost anything to  go to them, have your Mariner Status up showing your # of days achieved so they can see you just need one sea day and ask.  the worst they can say is no.  You are technically only one cruise and need to complete it to receive the new status but…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How to water down benefits without watering down benefits:

5* had priority boarding, but priority boarding after President’s Club. Now it’s priority boarding, but after Club Orange, as in first time cruisers shelling out a few more bucks, and PC’s. With new Mariner levels, 5* will have priority boarding after Club Orange, PC’s, and 6*. Oh, I forgot Neptune Suite people as well. You’re still in the same spot, but the goalposts change.

We have a timeshare at a high end resort in Mexico, so we’re very familiar with that particular game.

When so many here recommend ignoring staggered boarding time assignments, how does that impact "priority" boarding since large crowds still gather early anyway. Were staggered boarding times intended to smooth out the boarding process?

Nor does "priority boarding" avoid the  free-for all required to go through security first. Even worse when the port facilities are handling several ships at the same time.

With your key card now waiting at your cabin door, photos uploaded ahead of time, the long lines waiting to check in individually at a reception desk have now been shortened for everyone. And the rush by many to get on board early, regardless of assigned times,  continues to create crowding impacts.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I’ll give you an example.  Years ago, I worked my way up to Gold status in Marriott.  That was my goal, at the time, because it gave you guaranteed access to the Concierge Lounge, among other benefits.

Not long after, they added more tiers and devalued the benefits for the other tiers.  I no longer had access to the lounge because that benefit now began at Platinum and would take additional years to achieve.  Again.

That’s what I mean by devalued points.

Not to mention the free breakfasts! Sigh!  We shared your pain! 

Edited by bennybear
  • Thanks 1

Oh and also, if a top secret loyalty tier exists for pax with high profitability scores, I would assume it also includes spending in the jewelry shops - there is a small group of core HAL guests who routinely spend thousands of $$ on jewelry on every cruise. This I know firsthand, unfortunately

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, CafeBruno said:

Oh and also, if a top secret loyalty tier exists for pax with high profitability scores, I would assume it also includes spending in the jewelry shops - there is a small group of core HAL guests who routinely spend thousands of $$ on jewelry on every cruise. This I know firsthand, unfortunately

Ooh, this I could do, lol! 

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

How to water down benefits without watering down benefits:

5* had priority boarding, but priority boarding after President’s Club. Now it’s priority boarding, but after Club Orange, as in first time cruisers shelling out a few more bucks, and PC’s. With new Mariner levels, 5* will have priority boarding after Club Orange, PC’s, and 6*. Oh, I forgot Neptune Suite people as well. You’re still in the same spot, but the goalposts change.

We have a timeshare at a high end resort in Mexico, so we’re very familiar with that particular game.

I haven't run into losing priority boarding (as a 5*) to CO. Everyone (4*/5*/CO) are still grouped together, once we get through security (which is different at different ports and no longer has priority security lines). Once in the waiting area, everyone of us lines up when the ship opens for boarding so being 6* doesn't change the current boarding issue, as the same 5* that may have been grouped before may just be a different name in same group. I believe that was the comment from passengers (no priority) to Gus during the Q&A to which he responded (too many in top tier). The port terminals will only be able to service so many "priority" lines unless costs increase. So I doubt anyone at HAL wants to increase costs so we can board 30 minutes faster than others. The algorithm HAL uses for loyalty is harder than figuring out credit scoring. 

• Thanks 1

I think the best perk of all is the laundry when you turn 4 star.  My chief beef is the priority embarkation and so on for club orange.  I am ok with the room upgrades and nice restaurant but that should be it. Lumping them in with 4 and 5 star people is unfair to those who have spend gazzilions of years and dollars to achieve that status.  Of course, I've been on long cruises where just about every one was 4 star and up, but the club orange really should not have priority tendering and embarkation for instance. 

• Like 4

By the time one reaches five star, the product alone is reward enough.

We come back because we like the product; not just for the discounts or perks. Most we don't even use. Except naturally the "free" laundry. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

When so many here recommend ignoring staggered boarding time assignments, how does that impact "priority" boarding since large crowds still gather early anyway. Were staggered boarding times intended to smooth out the boarding process?

Nor does "priority boarding" avoid the  free-for all required to go through security first. Even worse when the port facilities are handling several ships at the same time.

With your key card now waiting at your cabin door, photos uploaded ahead of time, the long lines waiting to check in individually at a reception desk have now been shortened for everyone. And the rush by many to get on board early, regardless of assigned times,  continues to create crowding impacts.

They have done away with the staggered boarding times. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 10:55 AM, 0106 said:

@Seasick SailorCongratulations on being so close to 5 stars!

Publushed policy says unless it's a grand world voyage, status does not change during a cruise.

We were 4 days short when we moved from 3 to 4* and I was bummed b/c we always pay for laundry and I really wanted that perk. We were quite surprised when we were not charged for laundry. We did not ask, it just happened and we were very appreciative. 

I've read posts by cruisers who say to notify GS or talk to the Mariners Desk and ask them to change your status, but I believe policy is policy and we knew going in we were short. But we said a big "thank you" when it was gifted to us.

We did not receive any other 4*benefits,  such as discount on specialty dining, and our 4* status on the website did not show until about 2 weeks after the cruise. Our key cards showed 3* and I was ok with that.

With that said, you could ask GS or Mariners Desk since they clearly do it. 

Congrats, safe travels- enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/9/2024 at 12:04 PM, kazu said:

I know roll call members who called the Mariner’sSociety prior to cruising and received confirmation they could be upgraded. (It only works if you only need days less than the length of your cruise - which you do).  They then went to Guest Services before the next segment started to request it and were upgraded.

Now, they were on B2B’s not collectors’ so I’m not sure if Guest Services would be amenable or not but it doesn’t cost anything to  go to them, have your Mariner Status up showing your # of days achieved so they can see you just need one sea day and ask.  the worst they can say is no.  You are technically only one cruise and need to complete it to receive the new status but…

Hmmm..we will be in a similar situation. Next week we board for a 39 day collector. We are 49 points away from 4* . we have pre-purchased possibly enough for the 10 credit buffer...and excursions can be cancelled( which happened 3 times in the Med last fall...which caused this debacle ....but we have a plan just in case...for last minute 7day sailing for this summer because I don't know if we will make it and I am determined to be 4* for our next booking on the Rotterdam . (ps I am grateful to have this dilemma)

Edited by pmjnh