Questions about HAL's promos

LAX

Posted (edited)

I am thinking about booking an Alaskan cruise on HAL for summer of 2025. I see one of the sailings I am interested has the "Have It All Early Booking Bonus." If I transfer the booking to a TA (namely a big box TA that offers GC), would I retain that promo and still receive other benefits offered by the TA?

Also, while technically not promos, if I qualify for OBCs through the community appreciation programs, I would still receive them when the booking is managed by a TA, right?

TIA.

LAX

Edited by LAX

2 hours ago, oakridger said:

P.S. Why not just book with the TA from the beginning?  You will get all HAL has to offer as well as the TA perks!

~Nancy

Completely agree with Nancy.

there is paperwork to do to transfer which you will avoid if you just book with your TA.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oakridger said:

P.S. Why not just book with the TA from the beginning?  You will get all HAL has to offer as well as the TA perks!

~Nancy

100% Agree! Why waste the HAL PCC's time just so you can get them charged with a cancellation? That's what happens when you move their booking. The TA can offer all the promos HAL does, plus their own.

You could book through the website and then transfer it if you want, but you're doing the work so that the TA earns commission. Your TA, even the big box ones, get paid commission. Allow them to earn it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

~Nancy

My thoughts too, we booked our upcoming August Volendam through my TA and got the same early booking HIA bonus.

I booked myself on HAL website and transferred recently, but there was a reason. It was Black Friday weekend and I saw a specific cabin I wanted.  I booked it to grab it and then had time that week to find a TA I liked with a good offer. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, REOVA said:

You should be able to log into Big Box TA website and see what is offered and book it. 

I did. While I did see two options (1 nonrefundable & 1 refundable), it doesn't mention the refundable one has "Have It All Early Booking Bonus" promo. I supposed I can call and specifically request to book under the promo.

Plus, I was hoping I can take advantage of the "refer a friend" program to get some OBC, which requires the booking to be made directly through HAL, correct?

LAX

@LAX Hi again! Did you already book through the Big Box TA?  They should take care of everything for you from now on!  If you booked nonrefundable then it doesn't have the Early Booking Bonus.  As long as your cruise is offering EBB, if you booked refundable it is offered whether booked through a TA or online.  

Bottom line is that the TA needs to do the work to earn that commission!  HAL will only discuss most parts of your booking with them now.  

I "think" the "refer a friend" will also be taken care of by the TA, but no experience personally.

Good luck!

~Nancy

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, oakridger said:

@LAX Hi again! Did you already book through the Big Box TA?  They should take care of everything for you from now on!  If you booked nonrefundable then it doesn't have the Early Booking Bonus.  As long as your cruise is offering EBB, if you booked refundable it is offered whether booked through a TA or online.  

Bottom line is that the TA needs to do the work to earn that commission!  HAL will only discuss most parts of your booking with them now.  

I "think" the "refer a friend" will also be taken care of by the TA, but no experience personally.

Good luck!

~Nancy

Not yet. I am still gathering info. I am trying to decide how best to take advantage of all available promos/programs!

I am more the DIY type trip planner. That's why I am comfortable going through a big box TA that typically offers less hand-holding. I think the trade off in getting GC back is worth it to me.

I suspect I will need to call if I want/need to book anything more than the basic fare, which appears to be the only option via the big box TA website.

LAX

Edited by LAX
  • Like 1

Yes you probably need to call. I used to book with Big box but stopped after having to call their agency's manager to get a response. Then had to call multiple times to get an agent who knew what I needed and how to get it done.  Now I use a large cruise agency that does everything (after I research, because that's what I do 😉) and not only get a better discount on price plus OBC (much better than big box), but someone to talk with that knows cruising if I need something. But the savings we'll offset the refer a friend bonus. Also they can price more items than HAL website shows. 

15 hours ago, REOVA said:

Yes you probably need to call. I used to book with Big box but stopped after having to call their agency's manager to get a response. Then had to call multiple times to get an agent who knew what I needed and how to get it done.  Now I use a large cruise agency that does everything (after I research, because that's what I do 😉) and not only get a better discount on price plus OBC (much better than big box), but someone to talk with that knows cruising if I need something. But the savings we'll offset the refer a friend bonus. Also they can price more items than HAL website shows. 

I am open to using any TA that offers better discount/OBC. I know you can't share the name, but can you give me some advice on how to search for one?

LAX

On 3/12/2024 at 1:16 AM, LAX said:

Not yet. I am still gathering info. I am trying to decide how best to take advantage of all available promos/programs!

I am more the DIY type trip planner. That's why I am comfortable going through a big box TA that typically offers less hand-holding. I think the trade off in getting GC back is worth it to me.

I suspect I will need to call if I want/need to book anything more than the basic fare, which appears to be the only option via the big box TA website.

LAX

I use a big box TA that also has some great deals on pizza and toilet paper.  If you are comfortable being a DIY trip planner I suspect that you’ll continue to do well with the big box TA.  But you will need to call and talk with them.  Lately it seems that a lot of the cruises or deals I’m interested in are not listed on their website.  However, I just call and explain what I’m looking for and I can always get the same deal as shown on the HAL website.  You may need to do a little teaching of the agent but that usually isn’t a problem.   It’s gets to be a little more difficult when the TA contacts the HAL agent and the HAL agent needs some education.  But as long as you are an experienced cruiser and know what you want, you’ll do fine.   I like the fact that I can always call during normal business hours and handle any issue that I have and I’m never waiting for a return call.

You really have 3 choices.  Refundable with HIA.......Nonrefundable.........and Advantage fare.

The "big box" TA books Advantage for us.  It is a bit more expensive than Nonrefundable but is refundable.  It is a lot less than Refundable with HIA.  We also received the early booking bonus OBC.

5 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I use a big box TA that also has some great deals on pizza and toilet paper.  If you are comfortable being a DIY trip planner I suspect that you’ll continue to do well with the big box TA.  But you will need to call and talk with them.  Lately it seems that a lot of the cruises or deals I’m interested in are not listed on their website.  However, I just call and explain what I’m looking for and I can always get the same deal as shown on the HAL website.  You may need to do a little teaching of the agent but that usually isn’t a problem.   It’s gets to be a little more difficult when the TA contacts the HAL agent and the HAL agent needs some education.  But as long as you are an experienced cruiser and know what you want, you’ll do fine.   I like the fact that I can always call during normal business hours and handle any issue that I have and I’m never waiting for a return call.

Ugh! The last thing I want to do is talk to anyone on the phone ( I do make an exception for my mom).

I do a mock booking, take a screen shot, and email that to my TA. Sometimes follow up emails for price adjustments but that's it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sea42 said:

Ugh! The last thing I want to do is talk to anyone on the phone ( I do make an exception for my mom).

I do a mock booking, take a screen shot, and email that to my TA. Sometimes follow up emails for price adjustments but that's it.

Great.  It’s good that you have a TA you can trust and works well with you and hopefully provides a competitive obc

We used to use a Big Box company with great sounding discounts and store credit, (paid at the end of the year), but discovered a regular cruise TA that offered lower rates,  more perks and a rebate as soon as the trip ended so we switched. It pays to ask fellow cruisers while on board or quiz local friends who cruise a lot.  They often know great discount TAs. Don't be surprised if they receive a kickback if you follow their recommendation.

44 minutes ago, Woofbite said:

We used to use a Big Box company with great sounding discounts and store credit, (paid at the end of the year), but discovered a regular cruise TA that offered lower rates,  more perks and a rebate as soon as the trip ended so we switched. It pays to ask fellow cruisers while on board or quiz local friends who cruise a lot.  They often know great discount TAs. Don't be surprised if they receive a kickback if you follow their recommendation.

I’m glad you have found a good TA but CC is also filled with stories about unresponsive TAs and OBC that doesn’t get posted to the account.  At least there is someone at your old big box TA that answers the phone and works to resolve your issues.  If I found a TA that I can trust and provides a better deal, I would use them.