Upcoming onboard price increase

In TigerB’s excellent recent report he mentioned speaking to a manager who informed him there would be price increases in May or June. I was wondering if they might be pushing the limits a bit. I am not bothered because the more they put things up the less we tend to spend. I am sure we can afford another increase but certain things might no longer be worth paying for. It seems the more people that don’t spend means the cruise companies try to get the missing profit from the rest.

45 minutes ago, cuatbar58 said:

In TigerB’s excellent recent report he mentioned speaking to a manager who informed him there would be price increases in May or June. I was wondering if they might be pushing the limits a bit. I am not bothered because the more they put things up the less we tend to spend. I am sure we can afford another increase but certain things might no longer be worth paying for. It seems the more people that don’t spend means the cruise companies try to get the missing profit from the rest.

I don't really see it as any different to life ashore, prices have risen considerably in general over the last few years. A lot soaked up by wage increase price of oil, raw materials etc. I still think cruising is a bargain compared to other holiday options. Some people will likely cut back or purchase cheaper brands or maybe just do without some of the things they are used to, but I think it will be business as usual. For some of us the OBC takes care of the onboard costs. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I don't really see it as any different to life ashore, prices have risen considerably in general over the last few years. A lot soaked up by wage increase price of oil, raw materials etc. I still think cruising is a bargain compared to other holiday options. Some people will likely cut back or purchase cheaper brands or maybe just do without some of the things they are used to, but I think it will be business as usual. For some of us the OBC takes care of the onboard costs. 

At the moment we are quite happy with P&O's prices and quality. As you say, our OBC will cover most of our onboard bill. Our April Arvia cruuse will decide whether we book with P&O or RC for October.

• Like 1

It all depends what the price rise (if it is confirmed) is. If it’s just an annual updating for higher costs then there will probably be a limited reaction from pax.

As I’ve mentioned before it feels like the P&O and Princess brands are pulling ever closer together. Higher drinks prices will mean some don’t purchase as much but this is just as likely to push others towards the drinks packages. On Princess it seems like most people buy a package of some sort because the price per drink is so high. Perhaps P&O are looking for the same result?

Until we see if / what any price change is it’s all speculation (which is always fun and there would be fewer posts on here if we didn’t engage in a bit of it).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

It all depends what the price rise (if it is confirmed) is. If it’s just an annual updating for higher costs then there will probably be a limited reaction from pax.

As I’ve mentioned before it feels like the P&O and Princess brands are pulling ever closer together. Higher drinks prices will mean some don’t purchase as much but this is just as likely to push others towards the drinks packages. On Princess it seems like most people buy a package of some sort because the price per drink is so high. Perhaps P&O are looking for the same result?

Until we see if / what any price change is it’s all speculation (which is always fun and there would be fewer posts on here if we didn’t engage in a bit of it).

This will be the fourth price rise for drinks in a year if and when it happens, though.  

The interesting thing is of course that a large number of people will have bought into the drinks package price reduction offers so any "drag" from price increases in that area will be masked for a while.  Certainly P&O have really been pushing that offer.  When you make a telephone enquiry it is the first price they are eager to give.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

The next drink package deal appears to be 10% off at time of booking. I think this points to them keeping the package at the same price and hoping people will buy the package if the bar prices increase by much. Good luck getting served on the Iona if too many people take the bait.

When we go on a cruise or any holiday we put aside a certain amount we are prepared to pay for food and drink, our onboard credit normally means we don’t dip into our fund but I don’t go on holiday to count the pennies.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, purplesea said:

We had difficulty getting served drinks on Azura in January. 

It was never a problem a few years ago, there was always a server or two walking by offering to get drinks. It seems the norm to queue at bars now.

Just wondering - is it easier to get served if not on a package, but charging to your account? 🤪🤔🤫

@Megabear2 if @zap99 doesn’t use it then he is still paying twice.

Any how back onto the topic at hand. @enjoysailing that’s a fair question however we have been on many ships where there is a split between package and no package passengers. I haven’t noticed any preference given to non package passengers.

The only “difference” I have noticed is a preference to serve some passengers from the US who drop a cash tip with every drink (over and above the % gratuity already added to the drink). That’s not an issue on P&O where most Brits who choose to tip, tend to do in once towards the end of the cruise, not with each order.

Out of curiosity what are the current average prices for standard things like beer, wine, decent G&T etc. We were on Iona last year but they have obviously gone up in price since then. Just curios, like Bazrat I don’t go on holiday to count the pennies.

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Any how back onto the topic at hand. @enjoysailing that’s a fair question however we have been on many ships where there is a split between package and no package passengers. I haven’t noticed any preference given to non package passengers.

The only “difference” I have noticed is a preference to serve some passengers from the US who drop a cash tip with every drink (over and above the % gratuity already added to the drink). That’s not an issue on P&O where most Brits who choose to tip, tend to do in once towards the end of the cruise, not with each order.

Out of curiosity what are the current average prices for standard things like beer, wine, decent G&T etc. We were on Iona last year but they have obviously gone up in price since then. Just curios, like Bazrat I don’t go on holiday to count the pennies.

I can't say average as the published list obviously doesn't include all wines for instance (see attached).  However the Villa Marie Seaspray Sauvignon Blanc was costing £16.50 for 250ml on Britannia in January and does not appear on this list.  Basics however:

Cocktails £7.15, one or two £7.95 and £8.50

Single spirits £4.25 to £4.60

175ml wines £5.75 - £7.15 (the latter is most frequent)

250ml wines £6.95 to £9.10 (with exceptions of others being much higher)

Draft beer £5.05 John Smith's 

£5.30 Birra Moretti 

British ales £5.05 - £5.15 a bottle

Cider £5.30 a bottle

Obviously there are others but these are the basics and included in the two drinks packages.

I most certainly do look at the costs of some items and have a set budget for my onboard expenditure.  I book in advance all my excursions, dining, spa etc and my onboard spend is just my drinks etc.  Last cruise £640obc plus a £340 Commodore 12 bottle wine package so £980 overall available to spend for alcohol, teas, coffees, water, soft drinks, ice cream etc.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Cocktails £7.15, one or two £7.95 and £8.50

Single spirits £4.25 to £4.60

175ml wines £5.75 - £7.15 (the latter is most frequent)

250ml wines £6.95 to £9.10 (with exceptions of others being much higher)

Draft beer £5.05 John Smith's 

£5.30 Birra Moretti 

British ales £5.05 - £5.15 a bottle

Cider £5.30 a bottle

MB, I wish they were still as above, but those appear to be pre-September prices.

I didn't download or scan any menus on this last cruise, so can't list all of the above. However, I do know that draught pints were £5.55, with Birra Moretti priced at £5.65.  500ml bottles/cans of ales and beers were £5.30.  500ml bottles of basic ciders were £5.30, and the 'premium' flavoured ones were £5.55.  Mocktails were £3.95.  

The Assistant F&B Manager did say that the next price increase would be 'across the board'.  He didn't go on to explain that but, as I wrote in my report, I took that to mean paid-for food items in speciality restaurants; also perhaps other concessions such as the ice-cream bars.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TigerB said:

MB, I wish they were still as above, but those appear to be pre-September prices.

I didn't download or scan any menus on this last cruise, so can't list all of the above. However, I do know that draught pints were £5.55, with Birra Moretti priced at £5.65.  500ml bottles/cans of ales and beers were £5.30.  500ml bottles of basic ciders were £5.30, and the 'premium' flavoured ones were £5.55.  Mocktails were £3.95.  

The Assistant F&B Manager did say that the next price increase would be 'across the board'.  He didn't go on to explain that but, as I wrote in my report, I took that to mean paid-for food items in speciality restaurants; also perhaps other concessions such as the ice-cream bars.

Thank you.  These were the ones sent to me some while back.  As you know I didn't actually get very far on my January cruise to enjoy any drinks!

Maybe I've made the right decision in December then.  P&O gave me £500 FCC and a couple of other bits as we couldn't use our OBC when I became ill (some of this was extra compensation for my dreaded Arvia cruise last May) and I have booked my Christmas cruise with the 20% of drinks package deal and will use some of the additional  to upgrade onboard if we don't like the inclusions.

Because of deteriorating health conditions we aren't taking a deluxe balcony this year because of the bath over shower situation so even taking the drinks package we are saving £1,500 on our last Britannia cruise. That cruise was way over priced as it was a swap out from an Arvia Christmas cruise booked on launch and I had to meet the 1p over criteria.

The wine we particularly like is £11.25 for 175ml glass or £16.50 for the 250ml.  It was on sale at £47.00 a bottle in January so I reasoned with an average daily spend of £50.00 for coffees, teas, water, beer and soft drinks on a normal day I won't have much to lose 

If the prices are rising again, I might not regret taking the drinks deal after all - my OH wasn't too keen but as it was effectively "free" money I thought I'd lost I thought why not.

• Like 1

I have £150 OBC for my 16 night Arcadia cruise and that works out at £9.375 per day. As I average 2 pints per week nowadays that will be enough for one holiday drink a day and maybe a paid for meal. So no problem spending the OBC and then the 10% discount applies.

• Like 2

@Megabear2, I'm glad they gave you back the OBC you couldn't use; after all, it's no skin off their nose and you had a genuine reason for not using it. I just hope they didn't make you jump through hoops for it.

For us, we could never justify any alcoholic drinks package; our lass hardly drinks and even I don't drink enough to cover the daily cost.

Whatever the increase is, it is nowhere near the prices you have to pay on other cruise lines like Celebrity for their speciality dining and the gratuities for your drinks etc ..

• Like 4

On 3/11/2024 at 3:27 PM, zap99 said:

At the moment we are quite happy with P&O's prices and quality. As you say, our OBC will cover most of our onboard bill. Our April Arvia cruuse will decide whether we book with P&O or RC for October.

Funnily enough there was a thread recently about price increases on the RC forum with some threatening to jump ship to Princess. 

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Unlike me to say something quote worthy. I assume this is the MDR discussion. We eat out quite a lot.  A typical decent meal for two is about £60 without drinks or a tip. Restaurants on P&O like Epicurian ,Glass House,Sindhu are a bargain. Of coarse we could eat in the included restaurants and save some money. We could stay at home and save even more.

Edited by zap99

42 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Unlike me to say something quote worthy. I assume this is the MDR discussion. We eat out quite a lot.  A typical decent meal for two is about £60 without drinks or a tip. Restaurants on P&O like Epicurian ,Glass House,Sindhu are a bargain. Of coarse we could eat in the included restaurants and save some money. We could stay at home and save even more.

Even better, you get mentioned in the same line as me. I'm obviously flattered!

I agree the speciality dining is currently good value, however TigerB seems to have gained the impression that those prices may well be included in these new price increases.

With such a push to sell these restaurants and the very many times people are complaining they can't get s booking, the cynic in me wonders whether there could be a plan to hike these prices considerably or to start offering a dining package.

Certainly the other Carnival lines have been doing a form of this, even the new Cunard ship is going to be inundated with these pay extra restaurants.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I agree the speciality dining is currently good value, however TigerB seems to have gained the impression that those prices may well be included in these new price increases.

With such a push to sell these restaurants and the very many times people are complaining they can't get s booking, the cynic in me wonders whether there could be a plan to hike these prices considerably or to start offering a dining package.

It was just with him saying that there would be a price increase 'across the board', I took that to mean maybe food as well as booze will be going up. I know you don't MB, but I hope others don't think that my opinion is gospel.

I hope speciality dining doesn't go up, but I also think you may be on to something with your other statement.  As I wrote in my blog/report, I think some of the speciality menus are due a refresh, and they may try and hide any price increases well under the banner headline of 'look at our sooper dooper new menus'.

• Like 2

As a non-drinker I might not be best placed to comment but as a Southerner I thought the bar prices onboard are pretty reasonable compared to pubs and restaurants down here.

Considering they have a captive audience and that it would be easy to have high prices to use up the OBC or to push people down the drinks package route, I think P&O are being quite fair in the current pricing.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Thedonkeycentrehalf said:

As a non-drinker I might not be best placed to comment but as a Southerner I thought the bar prices onboard are pretty reasonable compared to pubs and restaurants down here.

Considering they have a captive audience and that it would be easy to have high prices to use up the OBC or to push people down the drinks package route, I think P&O are being quite fair in the current pricing.

There were three price increases last year with another one pending.  The alcoholic drinks are apparently  tax free and pure profit. The glass of wine I purchased at £16.50 in January was very nice, but as another poster told me way back in this thread  the bottle is currently available in the UK for around £19.00 tax paid.  That bottle to purchase onboard was £47.00.

The "base" drinks are relatively cheap to us southerners yes, but my northern friends take me in pubs and bars local to them where a pint of decent beer is around £4.00 and a standard glass if wine is not much more.  I'm not so sure they'd consider it so reasonable, mind you they looked quite faint in my local at the £6.35 Peroni lager.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1