Why is RC still going to Labadee?

4 hours ago, Old and Wise said:

My college age kids are taking the cruise to Labadee today against my advice. Called RC & rep keeps saying “the resort is a private island” which is not true! State Department issued a clear do not travel advisory to Haiti but RC Exec’s are prioritizing profits over safety. Advisory includes kidnapping & possible sexual violence. Law enforcement is sparse due to lack of leadership. Can we count on the paid security to put their lives on the line when confronted by adjacent towns mobs (local Haitians are banned from the area!)? What are the repercussion to RC owners/Exec if their gamble fails? Does the country the ship is registered in has capital punishment? If machete/machine gun yielding mobs put passengers in peril, hopefully they will face severe consequences to send a clear message to the industry. Financial compensation would not reverse the potential loss or prevent future greed driven decisions. They must be personally held responsible. RC, please stop playing with people lives!

The US issued a don’t travel to Haiti warning in July 2023. RCI has continued to sail to Labadee since that time without any issues. If you are familiar with Haiti and its geography, Port-au-prince might as well be 1000 miles away from Labadee. Personally I have been to Labadee 6 times since the do not travel warning was issued last Summer and I have always felt way safer at Labadee than at many cities in the US. Last and probably most importantly, NO ONE IS BEING FORCED TO GO ON A CRUISE ON RCI. If your kids don’t respect you and your opinion, that is your fault, not RCI. 

• Like 2

I will probably regret this, but I hope that cruisers know that the ship is armed.  I have actually witnessed this from my balcony.  We were cruising out of Florida (post 9/11).  A small boat approached us and despite ship horn warnings, kept coming. Security appeared outside of the bridge with long guns.  The small boat abruptly turned away and we went on our merry way.  If I hadn't been on my balcony, I would have never known.  I feel quite secure while onboard.  I doubt that Royal would dock a ship at Labadee if they felt that there was a security issue.  That would be horrible press.  I actually would worry more about venturing out on my own at the Dominican Republic since they share the same island as Haiti.           

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

Honestly, I would estimate the risks you are taking an about 1000% more than those going on the beach today at Labadee.  Pretty sure that tonight will not have a zero murder rate in LA.  I am willing to bet that the murder rate at Labadee will be zero this entire year.  

I have never been attacked, attempted to be stabbed, or robbed at Labadee.

None of those things are true in Los Angeles, Oakland, Portland, Seattle or Vancouver BC. 🙂 

Last month in Labadee...

image.thumb.png.cc69d768e36fcfa3a3a5bb215fdf7900.png

A month and a half ago in Los Angeles...

image.thumb.png.50f96dc9fd51c8ce2f61ffcbc945d1d9.png

🙂

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 9

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jetdriver787 said:

The UK foreign office has advised against ALL travel to Haiti. This has implications for travel insurance policies.

“The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) provides advice about risks of travel to help British nationals make informed decisions. Find out more about FCDO travel advice.

FCDO advises against all travel to Haiti  

Your travel insurance could be invalidated if you travel against FCDO advice. Consular support is also severely limited where FCDO advises against travel.”

Just like the US the UK FCDO  has had this very same advisory in place for several years, I haven't heard brits complain about their travel insurance until the last few days

Edited by not-enough-cruising

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

ust like the US the UK FCDO  has had this very same advisory in place for several years, I haven't heard brits complain about their travel insurance until the last few days

Not “the very same?” I believe this information, specific to the point, was updated on the 07th March.

Warnings and insurance

Still current at:
11 March 2024
Updated:
7 March 2024
Latest update:
This travel advice has been rewritten to reflect the latest security situation in Haiti (Warnings and insurance)”
Edited by Jetdriver787

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nolefan95 said:

Check google maps. Legit 30 minute drive. 

WOW, the google maps in Miami must be different than the ones in the rest of the world, you are only off by 7 hours or so; if your intention was to demonstrate driving distance from the uprising.  No problems in Cap-Hatien

Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 5.34.11 PM.png

Edited by not-enough-cruising

54 minutes ago, Nolefan95 said:

Check google maps. Legit 30 minute drive. 

And over 5 HOURS from Port-au-Prince- where all of the turmoil is happening.  The most recent news coming from Cap Haitien is the recent Voodo festival.  Not what is happening in Port au Prince.  

Check your map.

Just now, Jetdriver787 said:

Not “the very same?” I believe this information, specific to the point, was updated on the 07th March.

Warnings and insurance

Still current at:
11 March 2024
Updated:
7 March 2024
Latest update:
This travel advice has been rewritten to reflect the latest security situation in Haiti (Warnings and insurance)”

So in the UK there are differing levels of "do not travel" and "we will invalidate your travel insurance"?

Got it

Just now, not-enough-cruising said:

So in the UK there are differing levels of "do not travel" and "we will invalidate your travel insurance"?

Got it

No you haven’t quite “got it?” The insurance companies decide on the terms under which they offer coverage. Rarely is general coverage offered in contravention of advice to not travel that otherwise conflicts with FCO advice. UK tour operators would invariably cease scheduled operations once that advice has been issued. 

Not that some people care, but Royal pays Haiti $12/passenger, which adds up to about $700k/month.  Not sure how much the market sells, but I'm betting it isn't that much.  But the people who work there do get a salary, which I can't see just being taken by random criminals who are 7 hours away by drive.

4 minutes ago, Jetdriver787 said:

No you haven’t quite “got it?” The insurance companies decide on the terms under which they offer coverage. Rarely is general coverage offered in contravention of advice to not travel that otherwise conflicts with FCO advice. UK tour operators would invariably cease scheduled operations once that advice has been issued. 

I am glad I can get US based insurance

• Like 2

I have to imagine Royal is aware of the situation and that the US Govt is also paying some attention to the situation given they are aware Americans are going here. Regardless of how far away the gangs are, if they were marching on Labadee to stage a siege and demand Royal Kümmelwecks, this would be noted on satellite imagery and Royal would be made aware. They aren’t going to sneak that far with no one aware of their travels. 

If they can abandon Cococay in under an hour when big storms approach, they could do the same at Labadee. 

5 hours ago, ATC cruiser said:

Not sure how staying on the ship will protect you in the just about zero percent chance that an armed gang breaks thru security around labadee. They’re not breaking down the fence to stop at the buffet. 

..... Exactly

Amazing how this gets so oversimplified Soooooo many times on here !

Cheers

11 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I have never been attacked, attempted to be stabbed, or robbed at Labadee.

None of those things are true in Los Angeles, Oakland, Portland, Seattle or Vancouver BC. 🙂 

Last month in Labadee...

image.thumb.png.cc69d768e36fcfa3a3a5bb215fdf7900.png

A month and a half ago in Los Angeles...

image.thumb.png.50f96dc9fd51c8ce2f61ffcbc945d1d9.png

Really? In all of those cities you have been a victim? I would say that you are either very unlucky or wearing too much jewelry while walking around.

And to be fair, you might want to show pictures that encompass the good and bad of each of your examples 

🙂

Posted (edited)

The UK foreign office advice has recently been updated to advise against all travel to Haiti. All mainstream UK travel insurance policies will exclude cover if your trip includes travel to an area against Foreign Office advice.  There are some niche insurers who will cover for trips against FCO advice, but that tends to be travel for business rather than tourism. 

Edited by Simon-t

Royal will stop going to Labadee if it becomes unsafe to be there.  To suggest that there is risk that Royal is ignoring is preposterous.  Who knows... tomorrow they could decide to cancel.  However, I have 100% confidence that the situation is being monitored and should circumstances change for Labadee Royal will make other arrangements.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm heading to downtown Los Angeles tonight...  Keep me in your prayers. 🙂 

You have rekindled my memories of working in the garment district in Downtown LA back in the early 90's.  If I worked late and it was after dark, I used to fly down Los Angeles Street in my MGB to get on the 10.  A red light could be a life or death situation.  I was convinced the song "The Freaks Come Out At Night" was based on downtown LA.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

Really? In all of those cities you have been a victim? I would say that you are either very unlucky or wearing too much jewelry while walking around.

And to be fair, you might want to show pictures that encompass the good and bad of each of your examples 

Neither unlucky nor wearing excessive jewelry.  I wear no jewelry.  I don't even wear a watch.

I have worked with addicts on the streets for 30 years in all of those locations.  I felt safer in Labadee.

Edited by Tree_skier

3 minutes ago, Fissues said:

How would you get out of there if you

were injured or gravely ill? No medevac would come get you. Royal would be liable. 

Straw man argument there. Royal sails to any number of destinations where you would not want to go to the hospital or could not rely on medevac. 

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

Neither unlucky or wearing excessive and I wear no jewelry.  I don't even wear a watch.

I have worked with addicts on the streets for 30 years in all of those locations.  I felt safer in Labadee.

Bless you for what you do.  I was laughing at the posters description of you, having actually met you.  People are so blind about what they have allowed our cities to become.  We have about reached the point, that we don’t intentionally travel to the big famous cities.  Whether it be NY or Paris.  Not to say, I won’t visit more of these places, just they get a low priority when it comes to plans.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcc1025 said:

Labadee is on the oposite side of the island from Port-au-Prince were all the problems are and you can only get there by boat. They have huad this issue down there several times over the year and it has never effected Laberdee because of its location and there is so significat benifit for the rebels who are trying to take over the goverment and if they do will need every tourist dollar they can get. I would not go down to the south, but have been to Labadee during previous uprising like this and Royal monitors the situation and we never felt threatened. So I would tell my college age kids not to worry but by the way don't go to walking around in Jamaica.

Wow

1 hour ago, Nolefan95 said:

This is a false rumor that has spread over the years. Labadee is a 35 minute drive from the large city of Cap-Haitien. It is not some isolated place like many say it is. 

Wow

As should be clear for me this is not about taking sides on the argument  , but the misinformation and misguided opinions on both sides somewhat blow my mind !

Cheers... and safe travels

10 minutes ago, mil76 said:

You have rekindled my memories of working in the garment district in Downtown LA back in the early 90's.  If I worked late and it was after dark, I used to fly down Los Angeles Street in my MGB to get on the 10.  A red light could be a life or death situation.  I was convinced the song "The Freaks Come Out At Night" was based on downtown LA.

The vast majority of people have absolutely no idea what goes on down there and in other major cities. It can be dangerous in broad daylight.  At night it can look like a zombie apocalypse.  

• Like 1