Silversea now offers Essential Fares

goletans

I received this in an email today from Silversea. This could be an alternative for those who are disappointed by O's Simply More. I see many Alaska itineraries included. However, the cancellation/refund policy is awful.

We are excited to announce a new fare designed for freedom-loving travellers: our voyage-only Essential fare will appeal to those who seek last-minute experiences at a great value and who prefer to manage their air, transfers and shore excursions independently. Catering to our guests’ individual travel preferences, Silversea now offers three unique fare options: our industry-leading Door-to-Door All-Inclusive fare; an enhanced Port-to-Port All-Inclusive fare which is now available on all voyages; and the new Essential fare on selected sailings that features all onboard inclusive amenities and services but does not include shore excursions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@asnaleah It appears to be the equivalent of a last-minute sale. Most of the current offering are March-August with a couple later. The entry level fares are comparable to O's B-category on the ones I looked at and were not available for high-level suites.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

I got that email as well. I wonder if all cruises will have that option or only specific cruises.

The email says "selected cruises."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, goletans said:

I received this in an email today from Silversea. This could be an alternative for those who are disappointed by O's Simply More. I see many Alaska itineraries included. However, the cancellation/refund policy is awful.

We are excited to announce a new fare designed for freedom-loving travellers: our voyage-only Essential fare will appeal to those who seek last-minute experiences at a great value and who prefer to manage their air, transfers and shore excursions independently. Catering to our guests’ individual travel preferences, Silversea now offers three unique fare options: our industry-leading Door-to-Door All-Inclusive fare; an enhanced Port-to-Port All-Inclusive fare which is now available on all voyages; and the new Essential fare on selected sailings that features all onboard inclusive amenities and services but does not include shore excursions.

Interedting...but only the shore excursions are excluded, so it's not really cruise only in the traditional sense. 

1 hour ago, asnaleah said:

I got that email as well. I wonder if all cruises will have that option or only specific cruises.

only specific cruises.

https://www.silversea.com/best-luxury-cruise-deals/the-essential-fare.html

For those able to travel on limited-time selected voyages, this fare features shipboard inclusions only; shore excursions are not included.
Deposit non refundable

• Thanks 1

The announcement caused me to look at a current booking (for next Dec).  Not only did the essential fares NOT apply, but the cost of our booking, if booked today, would be about 50% more expensive than our price.  Even in a time of inflation, a 50% price increase does seem a bit excessive.

Hank

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

For those of you interested in accruing loyalty benefits, I believe that Silver Sea does not award any loyalty nights when you book Port to Port. 

Ahhh, so if we understand, folks who pay a much lower price (for their cruise) do not accrue any loyalty benefits other then to save money?  I guess this means that the folks actually are paying for those loyalty benefits which means they are not really a benefit but rather something bought and paid for!

This is not a criticism of Silversea but rather an eye opener for folks that get caught up in marketing hype such as "Sale of the Year" or "Loyalty benefits."  There is really no free lunch.  I find it amazing that folks, who will spend thousands or 10s of thousands with one particular cruise line, get excited about receiving a silly pin, a bag of free laundry (we like this benefit), etc.  On HAL, folks spend a lot of money to accrue the 500+ days necessary to reach 5* status which gets them a few benefits (such as free laundry).  But a first time cruiser can simply upgrade to "Club Orange" and get many of the same priorities that have been "earned" by those long time loyalists.  When a crusie line starts selling priority benefits to anyone it simply waters down benefits "earned" by long time cruisers (many of whom covet their status).  When everyone gets a "priority" benefit it means that nobody has priority.

Hank

• Like 3

It looks like they have got rid of Door to Door without air.

Port to Port used to have a non-refundable deposit. So looks like Port to Port now has refundable deposit and they have introduced ‘Essential’ with non refundable deposit.

I was looking at Port to Port several months ago, when it had a non refundable deposit, for September which was around £5000. Now, with refundable deposit it’s risen to £8000 pp.

I understand that there would have been a general price increase as the cruise filled up but I think that this is an unacceptable increase.

Seems to me that the new pricing system is a ‘sheep in wolf’s clothing) ploy!

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Ahhh, so if we understand, folks who pay a much lower price (for their cruise) do not accrue any loyalty benefits other then to save money?  I guess this means that the folks actually are paying for those loyalty benefits which means they are not really a benefit but rather something bought and paid for!

This is not a criticism of Silversea but rather an eye opener for folks that get caught up in marketing hype such as "Sale of the Year" or "Loyalty benefits."  There is really no free lunch.  I find it amazing that folks, who will spend thousands or 10s of thousands with one particular cruise line, get excited about receiving a silly pin, a bag of free laundry (we like this benefit), etc.  On HAL, folks spend a lot of money to accrue the 500+ days necessary to reach 5* status which gets them a few benefits (such as free laundry).  But a first time cruiser can simply upgrade to "Club Orange" and get many of the same priorities that have been "earned" by those long time loyalists.  When a crusie line starts selling priority benefits to anyone it simply waters down benefits "earned" by long time cruisers (many of whom covet their status).  When everyone gets a "priority" benefit it means that nobody has priority.

Hank

Most people seem to think the "loyalty" in those programs is a two way street.   It's not.  It's simply to keep you loyal to them.

Sadly, most people don't realize that until they've spent large sums of money and the benefits begin to get watered down or, like you said, sold to anyone. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

Most people seem to think the "loyalty" in those programs is a two way street.   It's not.  It's simply to keep you loyal to them.

Sadly, most people don't realize that until they've spent large sums of money and the benefits begin to get watered down or, like you said, sold to anyone. 

Might be fun to talk about loyalty benefits.  DW and I could care less about things like pins, medallions, certificates, etc.  It is just not our "thing."  Since we have been on far more then 100 cruises with 16 lines (#17 next week) we have been given all kinds of pins and other junk.  DW used to toss it all in a basement storage drawer (50 years of cruise junk) until she cleaned-house and tossed all that stuff in the trash.  But, we have learned that some cruisers really find this stuff very important.  HAL once tried to stop giving out "Medallions" which are large garish tin things that folks can wear around their necks.  They are color coded for number of HAL cruise days and there are some folks who will actually wear them (onboard) when there are loyalty functions.  When HAL said they would no longer give those out, there was an online mutiny and HAL relented.

HAL used to also have a "rewards" ceremony where the Captain would give out newly earned medallions.  Some folks actually went to those events (held before lunch on a sea day) to watch folks get those garish medallions.  Unreal.   Bottom line is that "loyalty recognition" does matter to some folks and certain cruise lines play to this group.  One exception is the new Explora Journeys cruise line (a luxury line) who, at the moment, has not even organized any kind of loyalty club or benefits.  And then we have MSC who has a pretty good program, but simply gives the benefits to nearly anyone who can show they are in another loyalty program with other cruise lines or even hotel chains.

Hank

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

While not disagreeing with your basic premise that loyalty benefits are overhyped, and perhaps not worth the cost - I just want to clarify that door-to-door prices include transportation from your home to the cruise ship, and then back home again. So you are paying for more than a loyalty program. Just a clarification.

7 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

While not disagreeing with your basic premise that loyalty benefits are overhyped, and perhaps not worth the cost - I just want to clarify that door-to-door prices include transportation from your home to the cruise ship, and then back home again. So you are paying for more than a loyalty program. Just a clarification.

We do understand.  It is not a good option for us since we live some distance from the included gateway airports.  We are also very comfortable making our own air, hotel and transfer arrangements.  If SS did offer a great deal on Business Class it would certainly get our interest :).

Hank

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Depends where the ‘doors’ are! The distance they offer is minimal so maybe not worth the extra!

Saga in the UK do a true ‘door to door’ service with, I think, 250 miles each way.

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

We when port to port on Silversea over Christmas/New Years 2023-2024 and we got points.  We deport to port because we like control of travel and the days before and after the cruise.

8 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Saga in the UK do a true ‘door to door’ service with, I think, 250 miles each way.

We were booked Silverseas Galapagos and they had the door to door. Unfortunately we had to cancel.

Posted (edited)

There are few things worth mentioning.

First, the Essential fares are non refundable.  Not only the deposit - you have to pay the whole amount at the time of booking, and it's 100% non refundable.

image.thumb.png.4ef8a4eb06ef25ece362503184374a19.png

The pricing of Essential is similar to previous pricing of P2P, just now it excludes excursions and fully non refundable. The pricing of P2P and D2D went up by 25-30%. 

SS prices are now around 40-50% higher compared to O when you look at Essential prices, and the inclusions are almost the same (the cost of the drink package on O is offset by the excursions credit more or less, so the only thing not included on O is gratuities). 

When you compare SS to SB which is in the same class, and have similar inclusions, SS is now more expensive by at least 10-15% for the Essential fare which is non refundable.

But at least they are relaxing the dress code.. 

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ak1004 said:

There are few things worth mentioning.

First, the Essential fares are non refundable.  Not only the deposit - you have to pay the whole amount at the time of booking, and it's 100% non refundable.

image.thumb.png.4ef8a4eb06ef25ece362503184374a19.png

The pricing of Essential is similar to previous pricing of P2P, just now it excludes excursions and fully non refundable. The pricing of P2P and D2D went up by 25-30%. 

SS prices are now around 40-50% higher compared to O when you look at Essential prices, and the inclusions are almost the same (the cost of the drink package on O is offset by the excursions credit more or less, so the only thing not included on O is gratuities). 

When you compare SS to SB which is in the same class, and have similar inclusions, SS is now more expensive by at least 10-15% for the Essential fare which is non refundable.

But at least they are relaxing the dress code.. 

Looks to me like Silversea are pricing themselves out of the market. The cruise I referred to above was only 11 nights in a superior veranda which works out at £1450 a night! I just can’t see the value in that especially when having to pay up front and with no refunds. Seabourn is looking better by the minute.

• Like 3

Personally, I don't do loyalty. I do stick to the all inclusive (or mainly so in O and SB's case) of SS, RSSC, SB & O and have looked at Explora but not sailed/booked yet.

i like them all in different ways - some are a little better with one thing, others a little better with another but not so much difference. I choose based on itinerary and cost 😜

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Techno123 said:

Personally, I don't do loyalty. I do stick to the all inclusive (or mainly so in O and SB's case) of SS, RSSC, SB & O and have looked at Explora but not sailed/booked yet.

i like them all in different ways - some are a little better with one thing, others a little better with another but not so much difference. I choose based on itinerary and cost 😜

We would never use the term all-inclusive in terms of O since the line does not include gratuities or adult beverages (except during lunch/dinner).

Hank

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We would never use the term all-inclusive in terms of O since the line does not include gratuities or adult beverages (except during lunch/dinner).

Hank

SS says they are all inclusive - and yet charge for 2 out of 8 restaurants, premium internet, laundry etc.

No line is truly all inclusive. What matters is are the things that important to YOU included? Personally I couldn't care less about adult beverages since we don't drink. But I do care about specialty coffee and tea. I do care about specialty restaurants etc. 

So I don't care that O is called premium and SS is called luxury - to me they are in the same category.

• Like 2

Hank

I think it depends where you live. For us in the UK the Simply more offer at the moment  includes gratuities, credit for excursions plus as you say drinks with lunch and dinner which probably balances out as inclusive as Seabourn 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Techno123 said:

I think it depends where you live. For us in the UK the Simply more offer at the moment  includes gratuities, credit for excursions plus as you say drinks with lunch and dinner which probably balances out as inclusive as Seabourn 😁

There is a different ‘vibe’ on Seabourn partly because it’s slightly more inclusive and you never have to show a ‘card’ to purchase drinks. I find Seabourn just that bit more relaxed.