Live from the Vista - March 27 (Miami) to May 1 (Trieste)

Hlitner

8 minutes ago, ORV said:

Yes guys, but Clelford is John. The Peter that’s not Roberts is on Vista right now I think. 

I’ve also cruised with Clelford and commented on the Mid Cruise cards on his announcements being entirely too loud. Of course he called and left a message when he knew I was at dinner explaining how he’s right, I’m wrong. Perhaps these folks should listen to what the guests have to say instead of letting their arrogance rule their response. 

FWIW I like Peter Roberts, but he’s an acquired taste, and you have to get past the tone of his voice. 

If he’s the “socks” guy, I’ll pass. Zero personality.

19 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If he’s the “socks” guy, I’ll pass. Zero personality.

He’s the shoe guy, hence Pinot referring to him as Peter the Shoe. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Trust me on this: Clelford is the absolutely worst CD ever employed by O. He was on some mass market line previously and the bottom-of-the-barrel mentality and attitude shoes through in all that he does.

and it wasn’t just one time. We’ve had him at least twice and the badness just blends together. 
I even went so far as to write management at O (and NCLH) and recommend that they require him and all newly hired CDs to intern for at least part of a contract with Ray Carr.

If you are unlucky enough to ever get stuck with Clelford, do be proactive and voice your legitimate concerns with O management (both on and off the ship). He is a monstrous zero and major O embarassment. 

Agree, Ray Carr is a fine CD.  Personable, friendly, engages with pax anytime.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Techno123 said:

Dubrovnik is more lovely in the evening when all the cruise ship passengers have left

My partner would echo that. She had a long weekend there, with co-workers, some years ago. Loved the city generally. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

I think there are 2 Peters. 

I think I mentioned much earlier on the thread that Vista's current CD is Peter Tredgett, a fellow Briton.

Worked hard, IMO. And quite funny - although I suspect the occasional joke flies over the heads of North American guests. 

Edited by Harters
  • Haha 3

Having lived in both the UK and the US I have to say that some English (British?) humour escapes not only Americans but me too.  I really, really hate the "Butlin's Holiday Camp" type jokes and stories AND the accent that goes along with them.   Lowest of the low... not much else to say except it is possible to be funny without "double entendre" type stuff.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

the "Butlin's Holiday Camp" type jokes and stories AND the accent that goes along with them.

Me too. Although they would be very 1980s. I'm not sure what the accent might be.  Although British accents can be very regionalised. On trips to the States, I have been asked several times if I'm from New Zealand. And, no, my accent is local to Manchester (where I've lived all my life) and is nothing like a Kiwi's.  

To keep this firmly on an Oceania theme, I didnt realise until the other week why Humphry Slocombe ice cream is so called. According to the website, the owners loved British 1970s/80 sitcom "Are you being served" and took the names of two characters - Mr Humphries and Mrs Slocombe. Show was very much in the tradition of British theatrical farce and an earlier generation of music hall comedy - with catchphrases, parodies of the class system, innuendo, double entendre, etc. It was very popular in its day but would now seem very dated and inappropriate. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Harters said:

Me too. Although they would be very 1980s. I'm not sure what the accent might be.  Although British accents can be very regionalised. On trips to the States, I have been asked several times if I'm from New Zealand. And, no, my accent is local to Manchester (where I've lived all my life) and is nothing like a Kiwi's.  

To keep this firmly on an Oceania theme, I didnt realise until the other week why Humphry Slocombe ice cream is so called. According to the website, the owners loved British 1970s/80 sitcom "Are you being served" and took the names of two characters - Mr Humphries and Mrs Slocombe. Show was very much in the tradition of British theatrical farce and an earlier generation of music hall comedy - with catchphrases, parodies of the class system, innuendo, double entendre, etc. It was very popular in its day but would now seem very dated and inappropriate. 

Well! As they say “you learn something everyday”!

48 minutes ago, Harters said:

Really?  That’s so fascinating.  We wondered where the name originated.  DH keeps calling it “Humphry Bogart”🙄 Mrs Slocombe’s one-liners would be toe-curling now😉

11 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

I had not heard of that ice cream until I saw it listed on a menu from Vista.  Is it really good?  Or just ice cream? 

A different HS flavour is presented each day.  I hadn’t heard of it either, until boarding.

Posted (edited)

We did not notice anything special about the ice cream.  In fact, for most of our recent week on the Vista, I thought that Humphry Slocomeb was a flavor of ice cream.  I asked one of the attendants which ice cream was the Humphry Slocombe.  He started pointing out different flavors.  I replied that I would try it.  Whatever flavor he gave me was tasteless. 

Some of the other flavors of ice cream throughout the week were good, but nothing outstanding.  DH was disappointed in the chocolate.  And when getting a cone of ice cream, the scoop barely made it to the top of the cup of the cone.  DH had to ask for another scoop.

BTW - Hambagahle and Mareblu... The best ice cream that we have ever had was from a stand is Movenpick.  Had our first taste in Sydney Australia, and then found it again in Switzerland.  Also found it in the lower level of the Movenpick Hotel in Amsterdam!

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Is it really good?  Or just ice cream? 

Before Oceania, I'd not heard of it. But then there's probably any number of American ice creams I've not heard of. 

They have some weird flavours. Some of which I found to be OK (but no better than OK) and a couple just not very nice. They're not something I'd go out of my  way for. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

We did not notice anything special about the ice cream.  In fact, for most of our recent week on the Vista, I thought that Humphry Slocomeb was a flavor of ice cream.  I asked one of the attendants which ice cream was the Humphry Slocombe.  He started pointing out different flavors.  I replied that I would try it.  Whatever flavor he gave me was tasteless. 

Some of the other flavors of ice cream throughout the week were good, but nothing outstanding.  DH was disappointed in the chocolate.  And when getting a cone of ice cream, the scoop barely made it to the top of the cup of the cone.  DH had to ask for another scoop.

BTW - Hambagahle and Mareblu... The best ice cream that we have ever had was from a stand is Movenpick.  Had our first taste in Sydney Australia, and then found it again in Switzerland.  Also found it in the lower level of the Movenpick Hotel in Amsterdam!

We stayed in that hotel some years ago awaiting a Uniworld river cruise.  Don’t recall seeing the ice cream, but Gerry and I would agree that some of the world’s little treasures are indeed found in Australia and Switzerland🥰

21 minutes ago, Harters said:

Before Oceania, I'd not heard of it. But then there's probably any number of American ice creams I've not heard of. 

They have some weird flavours. Some of which I found to be OK (but no better than OK) and a couple just not very nice. They're not something I'd go out of my  way for. 

There’s actually one HS ice cream aboard named “Elvis the Fat Years”🤷🏻‍♀️

9 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

one HS ice cream aboard named “Elvis the Fat Years”

I think that's peanut butter and jelly flavour. Certainly I remember seeing it and thinking "nah, I'll pass on that" (I'm not a fan of peanut butter, except in something savoury like a satay sauce).

• Like 2

I did have a Peanut Butter flavored ice cream that I liked, so that must have been it.

At the Movenpick Hotel, you have to go to the street level and there is a glass door on the side of the building.  We understand that the place has limited hours.  We walked all the way over one afternoon from our hotel at The Hilton.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

IMO, the best of the HS bunch.

On either day 1or 2 of this cruise, the HS flavour was a vanilla with salted caramel and toffee shards.  I must admit it was delicious.  I haven’t seen it repeated, but then I seldom approach the ice cream counter, and then with caution, for obvious reasons.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

There’s actually one HS ice cream aboard named “Elvis the Fat Years”🤷🏻‍♀️

That one is a banana ice cream with pieces of peanut brittle.  Pretty good.

Hank

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

That one is a banana ice cream with pieces of peanut brittle.  Pretty good.

Hank

Don’t forget, the peanut brittle has bacon pieces. 

Elvis (the fat years) ice cream has entered the building! Banana ice cream w/Bacon Peanut Brittle just in time for his Birthday this week. #lickthat
  • Thanks 1

Afternoon from the Dalmation Coast,

As I write this post, we are slowly moving out of the port of Dubrovnik.  There has been no official announcement, but it does appear that the Vista has recovered some of all of its normal functions.  The bow thrusters are wroking,  no tug boats needed, and our TV service has been restrored.  

Today was another perfect weather day with blue skies, gentle breeze, and temps in the mid-70s.  DW and I took a 6 hour excursion to a small family run olive oil operation, later drove to a winery co-op for a tasting (and some food), and then we visited the small village of Ston where we got a quick tour of the quaint town before enjoying a nice lunch.  As far as excursions go, this one was a winner.  Why?  We only had 9 passengers (in a bus that could hold about 50) and a terrific guide.  

Last evening we paid our third visit to Toscana, and our dinner was somewhat disappointing.  Not bad...just disappointing.  Toscana has a terrific menu, but it seems to be hit/miss on whether it delivers on each dish.  DW had a daily special pumpkin filled ravioli that was advertised to be in a brown butter sauce.  However, what she got was the ravioli in a beurre blanc sauce with almost no flavor.   Her dish also lacked any decent seasoning (when she makes this at home, she uses sage).   I had the Veal Marsala, and the marsala sauce lacked the taste of marsala wine.  It was a near-bland brown sauce.  Despite the shortcomings, our meal was quite good...just not as good as it should have been.  

We continue to accept some other posts that with the O restaurants, it is helpful to have a good idea of what to order.  In the GDR, where we have a reliable waiter who gives us great advice, things are mostly terrific.  In the alternate restaurants, one does not generally know the waiters and advice is not always reliable.

For our remaining 2 nights on Vista, we will be dining in the GDR which has been consistently good,  

Hank

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Trust me on this: Clelford is the absolutely worst CD ever employed by O. He was on some mass market line previously and the bottom-of-the-barrel mentality and attitude shoes through in all that he does.

and it wasn’t just one time. We’ve had him at least twice and the badness just blends together. 
I even went so far as to write management at O (and NCLH) and recommend that they require him and all newly hired CDs to intern for at least part of a contract with Ray Carr.

If you are unlucky enough to ever get stuck with Clelford, do be proactive and voice your legitimate concerns with O management (both on and off the ship). He is a monstrous zero and major O embarassment. 

Did you hear back from management?

Happy to hear Hank that you are enjoying your first Oceania cruise. I continue to appreciate the good and not so good being shared. It truly helps with expectations for someone considering their first voyage….and I imagine it likely is for those who know Oceania well. 
Like you, we are DIY travelers. Your Santorini excursion was exactly why we are!  Reading that your Dubrovnik experience was good, and likely due to size of the group, also reaffirms our thinking. Was this one of the higher end excursions with limited numbers (can’t remember what those are called), or just luck of the draw? 

5 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I had not heard of that ice cream until I saw it listed on a menu from Vista.  Is it really good?  Or just ice cream? 

As the saying goes, "Food is subjective".  I find the HS very good.  Love the different daily flavors.  Current flavor is in the Terrace Cafe, while yesterday's flavor is at Waves.  And from my too much time with the ice cream servers: one scoop is standard, and must ask for a second (or third) scoop.  🙂

• Thanks 1