Queen Victoria Differences

Jack E Dawson

As mentioned in a previous thread, we will be sailing on the QV next year, Istanbul to Rome. Last August/September we sailed on the QE for the very first time having previously only sailed on the QM2. I have to admit, we were happily surprised how much we liked and enjoyed the QE. However, I've noticed for a long time how many posters on the Cunard board pick QV as their favorite ship to cruise on. So I'm wondering, are there significant differences between the QV and QE that we should explore or be sure to experience. I was under the impression that after her 2017 refit, the QV was pretty much identical to the QE yet I rarely see anyone posting that the QE is their favorite Cunard ship. 

Thanks

Jack

I think that's more to do with the accessibility of QV to the UK / European / Eastern Seaboard markets. QE has had a more peripatetic existence. But yes, QV is a splendid vessel.

the QV is definitely the best ship in the fleet in my opinion, thats basically comes down to the crew. Although the facilities are basically the same she has a feel to her that is not on the QE, and she is the ship that the crew seem to want to come back to.

• Like 1

I like both QV and QE, but QE for me wins hands down.

The Lido restaurant on the QV is IMO abit like a slightly too bright John Lewis cafe whereas the Lido on QE had darker wood and feels rather more elegant.

In the Britannia MDR on QV the entrance staircase from deck 3 down to 2 (pour le Grande Descent) does a reversal on itself so you end up back facing the doors, whereas on QE (like on QM2) has quite a spectacular staircase in to the MDR, set with art deco uplighters. 
The Theatre on QE is a bit nicer too.

Just my tuppence lol.

Of course QV (pre-refit) was 'prettier' when she had the tiered decks at her stern, but the trade off with that was a small Lido Pool sun deck area.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

the QV is definitely the best ship in the fleet in my opinion, thats basically comes down to the crew. Although the facilities are basically the same she has a feel to her that is not on the QE, and she is the ship that the crew seem to want to come back to.

You got there before me.I absolutely agree. Totally.

QE and QV both cruised out of Southampton for many years pre Covid so we had chance to sample both.

Yes the decor is a different insofar as QE has a lighter touch, and apart from QV's aft refit, the hardware is basically the same. The difference for us boils down to the fabulous crew.

It's a 'happy' ship and this manifests itself in the atmosphere.

Wonderful.

If this changes when some of the crew are redeployed to QA, whether by choice or not, remains to be seen but we won't experience it for quite a while due to our no fly policy at the moment.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

Oh, that’s an interesting one.

I’ve been fortunate to travel on QE and QV in close succession at two points, in 2015/16 and then again in 2022. They are very very similar, there’s no denying it. 

I came away the first time preferring the QE, primarily because of the slightly lighter wood decor in the atrium, and also the longer rear deck space on Deck 9.

Since then, QV has had her refit to ‘match’, and I actually prefer her placement of the pool in that space, which hasn’t moved to match QE - it’s made for a much bigger uninterrupted flat space at the very rear of the deck.

The decor on QE didn’t wow me as much the second time around either; it was much closer a preference. But I think I do prefer the decor of QV’s Britannia Club dining room to QE; which is a minor and subjective issue, I grant you, but we’re talking about comparing cruise ships here, so humour me!

You could also differentiate on the placement of the Voyage Sales Office, which threw me both times, and the condition/appearance of the newer style Queen’s Grills cabins inserted into QV in her refit, but I don’t consider those material to me (although I know those cabins are very popular for precisely that reason!).

On balance, I’d opt for QV over QE, but it’s a close match and I’d take either over any other vessel afloat!

9 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

As mentioned in a previous thread, we will be sailing on the QV next year, Istanbul to Rome. Last August/September we sailed on the QE for the very first time having previously only sailed on the QM2. I have to admit, we were happily surprised how much we liked and enjoyed the QE. However, I've noticed for a long time how many posters on the Cunard board pick QV as their favorite ship to cruise on. So I'm wondering, are there significant differences between the QV and QE that we should explore or be sure to experience. I was under the impression that after her 2017 refit, the QV was pretty much identical to the QE yet I rarely see anyone posting that the QE is their favorite Cunard ship. 

Thanks

Jack

Best wishes for your QV voyage @Jack E Dawson

Our favourite Cunard ship is QM2 (it was also our first Cunard ship and I guess you always remember your first).  However, given recent geographic proximity, we have been on QE the most number of nights.  We've been on QV the least, but did do QV's 2020 South America voyage, just prior to the covid pause in operations, and two other shorter voyages in the Med and Australia.

As others have said, physical differences between the two are very minor.  Some differences I've noted during my early morning wanders around the decks:

--  QE has a more extensive games area at the forward end of deck 11.

--  QV's theatre is red, QE is blue.  The side aisles on QE extend all the way to the stage.  QV's aisles end several rows back so that the first several rows of seats extend the full width of the theatre.

--  QVs roof over the deck 9 winter garden is a flat shape and used to retract (before being fixed shut). QE's is angled and was always fixed.  The deck 9 pool area doors to the winter garden are in the centre on QE, and on the sides on QV.

-- QE's voyage sales office is on deck 1 across from the pursurs desk.  QV's is on deck 2 just aft from the queens room.

-- QV's deck 9 aft pool is further forward than QE's, as a result of the formerly raked stern.

-- QE has a Cafe Carinthia and a Midships Bar on decks 2 and 3, whereas QV has a Chart Room and a Midships Lounge. 

-- I've heard that QV has thicker steel plating to handle rough seas, but I've not been able to personally verify that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sfred said:

QVs roof over the deck 9 winter garden is a flat shape and used to retract (before being fixed shut). QE's is angled and was always fixed.  The deck 9 pool area doors to the winter garden are in the centre on QE, and on the sides on QV.

For me this is quite an improvement, even if roof closed the winter garden on QV is much less of a sauna!

31 minutes ago, sfred said:

-- I've heard that QV has thicker steel plating to handle rough seas, but I've not been able to personally verify that.

I've heard Dr. Payne say that, and there's a complex history involved, but I think it's correct. The gap between QV and QM2, in the "liner" definition terms, isn't big.

Of the choice of the two QV/QE we personally prefer QE than QV but don't there is not a lot of difference. Like has previously said access from Southampton means we have to sail on QV in the past. With regards to staff never noticed any difference on any of the ships, including QM2, as they are all excellent. General staff waiters, bar staff, cabin stewards etc tend to move around ships anyway so never understood that QV staff are any better than other ships.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Of the choice of the two QV/QE we personally prefer QE than QV but don't there is not a lot of difference. Like has previously said access from Southampton means we have to sail on QV in the past. With regards to staff never noticed any difference on any of the ships, including QM2, as they are all excellent. General staff waiters, bar staff, cabin stewards etc tend to move around ships anyway so never understood that QV staff are any better than other ships.

I don't think 'better' was implied at all.

Happy, definitely.

I think I prefer QE, because her decor seems slightly lighter, but quite honestly I could easily forget which ship I am on. Luckily, they are rarely in the same port. I wish QE would come back home for a bit. They are both very nice, though.

• Like 3

Hands down, we prefer QUEEN VICTORIA to QUEEN ELIZABETH

I am not a fan of the mishmash "period whatever" decor of either but QV is  nicer... QE is just beige, tan and... well tan and beige. Everywhere. And the nastiest cheap plastic fake wood especially in the Britannia Restaurant. Even the aft sun decks on QE are beige as are the chairs and the towels. 

We find QV is a better maintained (paint especially in passenger areas), better run (I much prefer the officers and Captains she attracts) and a happier ship with a superb crew. They come and go but we have not found any not to be professional and congenial.  QE not so... especially on deck. 

We much prefer the deck sports facilities on QV and as avid shuffleboard players, the courts are useful and kept clear... on QE they are useless.  QE has an enormous forward sports deck that is dedicated to "sports" no one plays and is hot as a sauna. 

So for us, no contest.  The old QUEEN VIC is the one for us. 

My entirely selfish and somewhat mercenary preference is QV because the one time we sailed on her, we were upgraded to a Q4 (from PG). Our one sailing on QE, we were left in PG, although given a slight improvement in location within that category. 

4 hours ago, sfred said:

QE has a Cafe Carinthia and a Midships Bar on decks 2 and 3, whereas QV has a Chart Room and a Midships Lounge. 

Thanks All for your insights, much appreciated. I have to say that we love the Chart Room on the QM2 and did miss it on QE. 

Jack

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I don't think 'better' was implied at all.

Happy, definitely.

Well having cruised on all current Cunard ships have never found any staff more happier on any ship compared to others.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Well having cruised on all current Cunard ships have never found any staff more happier on any ship compared to others.

That's perfectly fine but for us, it's an intangible quality we experience every time we set foot on Queen Victoria.

For us, she is a happy ship with happy staff/crew, which makes us happy passengers. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

That's perfectly fine but for us, it's an intangible quality we experience every time we set foot on Queen Victoria.

For us, she is a happy ship with happy staff/crew, which makes us happy passengers. Nothing more, nothing less.

Is that because of your mindset before you are even on the ship that the staff are happier and it is a happier ship because you love QV. Personally we prefer QM2 but that is nothing to do with happier staff or happier ship. Honestly can say that we have found no difference on any of the ships as all are equal.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Is that because of your mindset before you are even on the ship that the staff are happier and it is a happier ship because you love QV. Personally we prefer QM2 but that is nothing to do with happier staff or happier ship. Honestly can say that we have found no difference on any of the ships as all are equal.

You prefer QM2, but I think she's a ship  which has a stuffy, old fashioned atmosphere... but that's just a personal take.

Although I have no issue with QE, I think my mindset for QV has evolved because of her overall happy atmosphere.

Like H.M.S. TORRIN of "In Which We Serve" fame, QUEEN VICTORIA is indeed... "A Happy and Efficient Ship."  And Noël Coward was not an infrequent Cunard passenger, either, so maybe he knew what he was talking about. 

19 hours ago, majortom10 said:

We too prefer QM2.  Like you, we have never experienced "a stuffy, old fashioned atmosphere" on QM2 and have found the crew to be equally "happy" and "fabulous" on all the Cunard ships. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, missson1967 said:

We too prefer QM2.  Like you, we have never experienced "a stuffy, old fashioned atmosphere" on QM2 and have found the crew to be equally "happy" and "fabulous" on all the Cunard ships. 

Excellent.

It's all about personal perceptions.  🙂

On 3/21/2024 at 8:51 PM, majortom10 said:

On 3/22/2024 at 4:10 PM, missson1967 said:

Couldn't agree more though I expect our shared view is based on our experiences on Queen Mary 2: sailing on decent length voyages, with our partners, as opposed to short 3 or 4 day shorties out of Southampton.

In my view the crew onboard Queen Mary 2 also tend to exhibit more pride in the fact they are serving on Cunard's flagship.

QueensGrillRwithMariaandNavin.thumb.jpg.5953515acc681b42cbaf9f4fb268459c.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yes, as you very well know, my QM2 experiences are all down to shorties and as shorties often generate a more party'ish atmosphere I would have thought I'd find the ship less stuffy and old fashioned.

Each to their own.

Edited by Victoria2