Bed Set Up Queen vs Twin Debate

I've read in several threads people preferring the beds set up as twins vs queen because it gives more room around the sleeping 'area'. I thought it would be fun to hear from people who travel as part of a couple - which set up do you prefer and why?

5 minutes ago, HondaGirl05 said:

I've read in several threads people preferring the beds set up as twins vs queen because it gives more room around the sleeping 'area'. I thought it would be fun to hear from people who travel as part of a couple - which set up do you prefer and why?

We find that the queen set up gives more room on the cabin because who needs the area between the beds

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Queen! 

How do you make it a Love Boat with separate beds?

But the real Love Boat did have separate beds. DW and I sailed on the original Pacific Princess in 2002 (her last year sailing with Princess). Our cabin had two twin beds that could not be moved.☹️ The cabin was a little smaller than the ones in the TV show.😉

• Like 5

Having been married for a very long time I am used to sharing a bed. When I traveled for work I was never happy sleeping alone as it just felt "weird". We have the bed on the ship setup as a Queen. Many years ago we had a King (which was great when our boys were little and they attacked me in bed) but have no real need for that much real estate and gave it away to someone when we moved to a different town at one point. That would have been about 45 years ago and we have been sleeping on a Queen since then. I'm kind of used to it. 😉

• Like 5

I have not read any of the other postings, but we just got off the Regal the 3rd of March. There were 8 of us, so we had 4 rooms next to each other. I know 3 of the rooms had the full beds, and my friend and I had twin beds. I won't say we had a lot of room, but we still had plenty of room to move around, in between the twin beds. For us, the bed and the comforter or whatever were wonderful. I had read if we didn't like the pillows, e could ask for another one, but we were very happy. As the expression goes, we were SNUG as a rug in our beds. 🙂

• Like 2

There is technically no difference in space between queen and twin set up, since the space of the room doesn't change, the bed sizes don't change, and it's just the placement.  However, it's perception of space, since two the "small" sides of the queen are combined into one between the twins.  It may be more workable space, such as stretches or yoga, but it's not more space.

It's a matter of preference.  I prefer queen to be with my DH, but if I was going solo, I'd do the Twin set up for the center space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Twin setup gives more room to walk around in an interior and oceanview.  The setup is bed/nightstand/nightstand/bed.  In a balcony, deluxe balcony, and mini-suite the space between the beds isn't really useful because it's too narrow.  The setup is nightstand/bed/nightstand/bed with the bed being closest to the closet being pushed up to the wall.

• Like 3

If you are in an inside room and opt for a queen bed, you get “about” (an estimated)  foot  and a half either side of the bed.  Whereas opt for twins, with one side of each bed pushed against each wall, that equates to a 3ft area between the beds which feels more spacious. 

In a balcony always queen set up. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, roobug said:

Love the blankets on the twin set up. 

@roobug How are blankets different?

I know that on our queen bed (which me and wife prefer and never thought of getting twins) the standard setup is a giant thick blanket as if we are sailing the Arctic with the balcony door wide-open with broken climate control system in the room.  Every single cruise I need to ask for a thin blanket please.  Not a big deal, just my preference. 

DH and I always have it set up as a queen and it is fine. Last year on the Caribbean Princess we had a guaranteed room and they gave us one with the upper bunks folded up against the wall. In that case, it would have been better to have the bed set up as twins since the bunks made walking around the outside of the bed difficult - even for me and I am short!

Our very first cruise in 1990 we had twins that couldn't be made into a queen. I think that was more common on older ships 🙂

We always had the queen bed setup up until our last cruise.   We tried the twin setup and liked it.  We each had our own "space".   I get hot so use few covers whereas my husband likes to have all the covers on.   Plus I am not bothering him with my tosses and turning (smile).  We are going with the twin with the next cruise also.

• Like 4

Queen set-up for balcony cabin.  (Otherwise, I feel like I am going to fall off the twin bed.)

Twin set-up for ocean view cabin.  That gives you double the room between the beds.  (And, I have the wall on one side so I don't feel like I will fall off.)  ☺️

• Like 3