Bed Set Up Queen vs Twin Debate

8 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Twin setup gives more room to walk around in an interior and oceanview.  The setup is bed/nightstand/nightstand/bed.  In a balcony, deluxe balcony, and mini-suite the space between the beds isn't really useful because it's too narrow.  The setup is nightstand/bed/nightstand/bed with the bed being closest to the closet being pushed up to the wall.

This is helpful - we are in a mini-suite

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HondaGirl05 said:

We are traveling with kids....so that ship has already sailed

Oh, how I relate to this. Hang in there - you will get your own room eventually. But even as adults they will still want to tag along - so save up for those extra cabins!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So we always go queen - my DH is 6’7” and we have a California King at home. That twin would never do. At least with the Queen he can use his full space and invade mine as well. Good thing I like him! 😂

• Haha 8

11 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

The steam room?

In the old days there were the laundry rooms before they started to lock them up at night 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

If you are in an inside room and opt for a queen bed, you get “about” (an estimated)  foot  and a half either side of the bed.  Whereas opt for twins, with one side of each bed pushed against each wall, that equates to a 3ft area between the beds which feels more spacious. 

In a balcony always queen set up. 

Do you need more than a foot and a half on either side of the bed?

One time, we went with my twin adult nephews on a cruise to celebrate their graduation.  We got the room  right next to ours and had the balcony divider opened so they could easily come over to our room if they needed something.  
Anyway, later down the road, my sister told me that they were kind of irked they didn’t have a big bed like ours was, as theirs were set up as twin beds.  To this day, I still don’t think they believed me that it is exactly the same beds, just pushed together. 

We had twin beds that could not be pushed together on the old Sky Princess on our first Princess cruise.  I didn’t mind it at all.    but, then I’ve had a twin bed on cruises when I traveled with girlfriends .. dang, they are so small, I was thinking I would fall right out of bed several times during the night.  I’m sure I was smaller back in the 1990’s than I am now.  

49 minutes ago, WisCruiser2 said:

Do you need more than a foot and a half on either side of the bed?

Your post is exactly the type that make me reluctant to post on Cruise Critic.  I was doing my best to answer the OP.  Not open up a debate as to whether anyone needs more than a foot and a half to get into bed.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

kinda sorta having this same debate at home now since my slip and fall - the cali king waterbed is no longer an option - way too hard to get in and out of now - and it is now gone (rip😥).

Going with an adjustable base for sure - and discussing the merits of a split cali king or a couple of XL adjustable twins...

• Like 1

When we have an inside cabin we always have twins , rather have more space between the 2 singles than squeeze between the bed and the wall. Same for an OV if the bed is under the window,  much easier to look out of the window sitting on a single bed with the floor space in the middle than clamber over the pillows to look out. 

For all other cabins we have a queen bed .

• Like 4

13 hours ago, LN1Casey said:

There is technically no difference in space between queen and twin set up, since the space of the room doesn't change, the bed sizes don't change, and it's just the placement.  However, it's perception of space, since two the "small" sides of the queen are combined into one between the twins.  It may be more workable space, such as stretches or yoga, but it's not more space.

It's a matter of preference.  I prefer queen to be with my DH, but if I was going solo, I'd do the Twin set up for the center space.

This is another reason why we like the Queen set up. I like to do yoga, etc and it’s pretty tight when they are twins. I really noticed this when I cruised with my sister instead of DH once.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HondaGirl05 said:

I've read in several threads people preferring the beds set up as twins vs queen because it gives more room around the sleeping 'area'. I thought it would be fun to hear from people who travel as part of a couple - which set up do you prefer and why?

Queen 

Sorry for the contrarian position, but twins all the way.  The queens are far too tiny for comfort for us. I am a very light sleeper at the best of times, and SWMBO uses 3 times as many blankets and comforters as I do, so having separate beds for a week is fine with us.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Sorry for the contrarian position, but twins all the way.  The queens are far too tiny for comfort for us. I am a very light sleeper at the best of times, and SWMBO uses 3 times as many blankets and comforters as I do, so having separate beds for a week is fine with us.

So, this is a weird little quirk but I swear that I sleep better when my head faces forward.  I really think there is something to it even though a lot of people wouldn’t agree with me.  Anyway, we booked late once and got a room where my feet faced forward.  After 2 sleepless nights, I asked for an extra twin duvet.  I placed my pillow on top of the queen duvet and slept like a baby with my head facing forward.  Great news is, I think both of us slept better because there was no covers being pulled and we never even felt any movement when the other one of us got up in the middle of the night!  We found a solution!  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JGmf said:

@roobug How are blankets different?

I know that on our queen bed (which me and wife prefer and never thought of getting twins) the standard setup is a giant thick blanket as if we are sailing the Arctic with the balcony door wide-open with broken climate control system in the room.  Every single cruise I need to ask for a thin blanket please.  Not a big deal, just my preference. 

The twin ones are fluffier and feel lighter while providing more snuggle factor.  The queen blankets seem heavy and dense to me.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

Your post is exactly the type that make me reluctant to post on Cruise Critic.  I was doing my best to answer the OP.  Not open up a debate as to whether anyone needs more than a foot and a half to get into bed.  

Sorry, did not mean to debate. I didn't think the amount of space around a bed was that big a deal, but realize that to some people it is. My apologies. It's a good thing there are options, then.

• Thanks 1