Entertainment changes

52 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Maybe there were some people that didn’t like it, but the piano lounge was always packed.  Not so with just one performer.

It's probably another case of YMMV, but our experience in February aboard Westerdam was just the opposite. The incomparable Krista Meadows invariably put on a high-caliber show with engaging performances, all by her lonesome self. I started a separate thread shortly after to register my approval. 

Perhaps Krista is indeed incomparable, and others just can't match the secret sauce that makes her special. I hope for HAL's sake, and ours, that's not the case.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Maybe there were some people that didn’t like it, but the piano lounge was always packed.  Not so with just one performer.

And probably equally not so judging by only one cruise !  Time will tell !

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Actually it has been 2 cruises with two different performers and every time I went by 

You may not remember the "old" Piano Bars before the introduction of the Billboard Onboard concept.  Those were occupied by solo performers whose contracts extended beyond one week (usually 2-3 months or longer), were jam packed evey night not only until 11 pm but often in the wee hours of the morning like 1 or 2 am.  Seems like HAL is trying to iron things out if you saw different piano players on different cruises.  They have to recruit new players who are currently available.  I am willing to give them time if they are trying to recreate the atmosphere we all enjoyed before the canned music programs of Billboard Onboard.

Edited by taxmantoo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

HAL isn’t just grabbing people off the street and putting them onboard ships.  These are people that HAL has recruited, tested and trained.  HAL has a training session with the piano players where they learn how HAL wants the performances.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

This piano player is fine, it’s just not the same program.  People enjoyed the 2 player concept much more.  It’s been that way throughout the entire cruise 

On N Statendam in Sept 2023, the duo were fantastic.  In Dec, the two never clicked and the guy hammered the piano and sang poorly.  The person picking the talent does not seem very talented.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, C 2 C said:

On N Statendam in Sept 2023, the duo were fantastic.  In Dec, the two never clicked and the guy hammered the piano and sang poorly.  The person picking the talent does not seem very talented.

Seems to be a problem with 1 or 2 performers 

a number of years ago when we first started sailing on HAL we found the production shows to be rather lawrence relish and low energy, the a few years before covid they seemed to turn up the energy level and the shows became more in line with other lines. Then they changed direction and went with one step dance routines. Recently they added singing back into the dance routines.

Now the dance routines seem to be going away altogether going back to something more back in line with the production shows. Will be interesting to see what they look like.

• Thanks 1

I think the one piano two piano thing has really gone on long enough; don't imply that "people enjoyed the 2 player concept much more" when clearly many members prefer one piano or don't care one way or the other. Clearly what people want is a performer who can play piano AND sing well. It feels like HAL could put Billy Joel in the piano bar and some people would complain that it was only one piano.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 3/26/2024 at 7:04 PM, ajgobucks said:

Was on NS March 17-24 and the entertainment/activity offerings were abysmal.  No welcome aboard presentation, no EXC talks and very limited use of the World Stage. Cruise Director Stephane said that World Stage was closed for new production rehearsals for 3 weeks.  Unfortunately, those new productions "Song & Dance" and "All That" were not good. Besides the 2 musical shows, there was one comedian (did two shows) and another comedian/magician once.  At least 3 of the 7 nights offered no poolside movie.  The Rolling Stone musicians were not charismatic (or good) and the Billboard pianists were so-so.  The BB King All Star band was the exception - they were fantastic and gave us something we looked forward to each night. Holland excels in many areas - their entertainment/activity programming is not one of them.

Just got off 35 days on the Koningsdam.  Although the venue and weather was perfect for an evening movie, it rarely happened.  I completely understand why HAL doesn't want to show afternoon poolside movies like Princess, but there were 20+ sea days on this cruise and evening movies would have been very popular.  In fact, the 5 or so times they showed anything in the evening, it was very popular.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2024 at 2:11 PM, Blackduck59 said:

I remember back before the shut down where people who had been on the same ship for a few different voyages were wondering, When they were finally going to change out the productions how. Those same shows people now complain aren't being done.

Complaining is what we do bestest! 😠

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think the one piano two piano thing has really gone on long enough; don't imply that "people enjoyed the 2 player concept much more" when clearly many members prefer one piano or don't care one way or the other. Clearly what people want is a performer who can play piano AND sing well. It feels like HAL could put Billy Joel in the piano bar and some people would complain that it was only one piano.

2 piano players the room is packed.  1 piano player the room has many empty seats.  

I think it’s apparent which is more popular, I’m hoping HAL reverses this budget cut.

You are correct about one thing, I’m sure everyone would enjoy a Billy Joel performance. What people don’t enjoy is listening to, is the drunk guy next to me singing Billy Joel songs.

On 3/26/2024 at 2:17 PM, 0106 said:

BB Kings is still available on the Rotterdam, Koningsdam and NS.  It was the best venue on the NS for the first two weeks in March.  The Billboard piano players couldn’t sing and the Rolling Stone band had no charisma.  Unfortunately, BBs is gone from all the other ships.

B.B. King's gone! Say it is not so.

Jim

On 3/27/2024 at 11:18 AM, Ipeeinthepools said:

The old piano bars were always full and very entertaining. HAL fired all of the older experienced piano bar entertainers and opened up the room on many ships. Many of the old piano bar entertainers would play for hours until late at night taking very few breaks. You may be correct. Given the size of the room on the newer ships perhaps two piano bar entertainers is necessary. 

On 3/26/2024 at 8:05 AM, albingirl said:

BTW, I am of a wholly different opinion w/r/t BBC Earth. If I never have to see those infernal snakes again, I'll count myself lucky.

I have to agree and how long they have been showing it?  I was on HAL in 2010 and I honestly can't remember what the "shows" were like but I know Earth was shown on my trips in 2018, 2019 and 2021.  Plus they added that history of Holland America film.  That was interesting one time but now I feel like I'm watching an infomercial.  I don't want or need the big Broadway type musicals, but I like the Frank Sinatra impersonators, the shows with movie themes, 70's music, etc.  

We haven't sailed with HAL since 2021 which was less than impressive but have a trip booked this fall on the Statendam.  I'm hoping it changes my mind.  Since it seems every other line is pushing for the first time cruiser/family amusement park crowd it seems there would be a big demand for older style, traditional cruising which would be perfect for HAL.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2024 at 2:17 PM, 0106 said:

BB Kings is still available on the Rotterdam, Koningsdam and NS.  It was the best venue on the NS for the first two weeks in March.  The Billboard piano players couldn’t sing and the Rolling Stone band had no charisma.  Unfortunately, BBs is gone from all the other ships.

I'm so sad to hear this! Taking my boyfriend on his first ever cruise (Eurodam in May) and have been bragging to him about BB Kings. Why on earth did they get rid of it? And what's in its place? I'm feeling very disappointed. Especially after seeing a couple of recent reviews that Eurodam has become rundown. This will be my fourth cruise on her and she's always been my favorite ship. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 6:27 PM, AliceS said:

Holland lacks entertainment and losing BB King does not help.   Production shows are not to be compared with other lines and there is no Lincoln Center on Eurodam….just left there on 3/16.   Boardwalk was not good and Rolling Stone was just noise.   Love Holland for everything else, but entertainment?????

You are spot on about the entertainment on HAL ships and because of that and some other issues we have had we have stopped sailing with HAL until we hear things have improved.

• Like 1

We were on the March 16 sailing on the Eurodam. We saw three brand new shows with live singing and dancers.  They were the best shows we’ve seen since before the shutdown.  There is also a fourth new show just waiting for HAL to secure the rights to the music.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TMJplus1 said:

I'm so sad to hear this! Taking my boyfriend on his first ever cruise (Eurodam in May) and have been bragging to him about BB Kings. Why on earth did they get rid of it? And what's in its place? I'm feeling very disappointed. 

It is now a Rolling Stone lounge.  I hope you have a good band and have a great time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2024 at 5:12 AM, Ipeeinthepools said:

2 piano players the room is packed.  1 piano player the room has many empty seats.  

I think it’s apparent which is more popular, I’m hoping HAL reverses this budget cut.

You are correct about one thing, I’m sure everyone would enjoy a Billy Joel performance. What people don’t enjoy is listening to, is the drunk guy next to me singing Billy Joel songs.

I really wondered if I should respond. In YOUR opinion the 2 players were better, you are entitled to your opinion. Your assertion that "people enjoyed the 2 players better" is subjective and I'm afraid you don't speak for anyone other than yourself.

I'm still trying to process the logic of your last sentence, how does 2 pianos make a difference with the drunk guy singing along? I think you have made your feelings known on several threads, we all understand you are in the 2 piano camp. Others may be as well but understand that HAL has just made the change and is not likely to change back without seeing if the new format is popular with the majority of cruisers. We have been seeing reports from ships with new acts and new entertainment. I'm sorry you are disappointed with the change, I'm afraid that there will be more changes over the next little while, hopefully people will enjoy the new offerings. Time will tell. Like I said I am hopeful that we will see some of the new era in HAL entertainment when we board Westerdam next March for our 6 week cruise.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I really wondered if I should respond. In YOUR opinion the 2 players were better, you are entitled to your opinion. Your assertion that "people enjoyed the 2 players better" is subjective and I'm afraid you don't speak for anyone other than yourself.

I'm still trying to process the logic of your last sentence, how does 2 pianos make a difference with the drunk guy singing along? I think you have made your feelings known on several threads, we all understand you are in the 2 piano camp. Others may be as well but understand that HAL has just made the change and is not likely to change back without seeing if the new format is popular with the majority of cruisers. We have been seeing reports from ships with new acts and new entertainment. I'm sorry you are disappointed with the change, I'm afraid that there will be more changes over the next little while, hopefully people will enjoy the new offerings. Time will tell. Like I said I am hopeful that we will see some of the new era in HAL entertainment when we board Westerdam next March for our 6 week cruise.

Ok, I'll help you.  The single piano player concept tends to be more of a sing a long concept. I dislike the concept and based on the lack of crowds it appears that many others avoid the single player performances.  I'm not sure why you are having difficulty with the concept that if people don't enjoy the performance, they won't attend.  And yes, I don't enjoy listening to the people around me sing.  I attend to listen to the performers.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Ok, I'll help you.  The single piano player concept tends to be more of a sing a long concept. I dislike the concept and based on the lack of crowds it appears that many others avoid the single player performances.  I'm not sure why you are having difficulty with the concept that if people don't enjoy the performance, they won't attend.  And yes, I don't enjoy listening to the people around me sing.  I attend to listen to the performers.

"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.

For those who do not understand, no explantion is possible."

You can choose your camp, and we will agree to disagree!

Edited by taxmantoo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1