Nieuw Amsterdam in Port Everglades on March 23, 2024

No toots.  Probably a sad day even for the newly boarded at least through tomorrow in HMC.  Thanks Leanne, Dave, and fellow addicts.

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2024 at 4:16 PM, Famgel1956 said:

I would think besides repairs there should have been inspections on N.A. before I would go in that ship! I think she was inspected by VSP couple of days ago & passed with a 99%!

Who is "VSP"?  Do you mean USPH, because of your comment about a 99% score?  USPH does not inspect the machinery of a ship, unless it is galley, laundry, or HVAC equipment, and even then it is only for sanitation, not mechanical condition.

The steam system on cruise ships is not a primary, or critical system onboard (typically used for heating hot water, the laundry, and fuel heating), so a failure in that system would not preclude sailing for extended time even without repairs.  There will be an inspection by the Class surveyor (typically not USCG since it is not a US flag vessel, and the incident does not affect propulsion or steering), and repairs can be made while underway.  Many times a water hammer "explosion" in a steam system can be repaired in a couple of hours with a new gasket and bolts.  They are not all that uncommon, though one resulting in death is rare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 9

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Who is "VSP"?  Do you mean USPH, because of your comment about a 99% score?  USPH does not inspect the machinery of a ship, unless it is galley, laundry, or HVAC equipment, and even then it is only for sanitation, not mechanical condition.

The steam system on cruise ships is not a primary, or critical system onboard (typically used for heating hot water, the laundry, and fuel heating), so a failure in that system would not preclude sailing for extended time even without repairs.  There will be an inspection by the Class surveyor (typically not USCG since it is not a US flag vessel, and the incident does not affect propulsion or steering), and repairs can be made while underway.  Many times a water hammer "explosion" in a steam system can be repaired in a couple of hours with a new gasket and bolts.  They are not all that uncommon, though one resulting in death is rare.

Sad news today. Based on my time at sea, I only experienced something similar once and that was on SS Oriana. During topping up the boiler feed water, they over-filled, getting water into the super heated steam lines. We had numerous failures with fortunately no injuries, but the lower 2 decks were filled with steam. It was dense fog below decks until we got it vented. Searching those areas for crew members is something I'll never forget.

Sad to read the "Ambulance Chasers" are already making accusations. We will all know the facts once the Dutch Accident Investigation Board complete and release the preliminary and final investigation reports.

• Like 4