Booked My First Cruise and My Fiance's Second

A lot has happened since I last joined this board in 2013. I got divorced in 2016 and am engaged to be married again either on September 2 or 5, 2025. I booked my first cruise ever. Will be the eight-day cruise to the Southern Caribbean on the Carnival Horizon, leaving on September 27, 2025, and returning on October 5, 2025. It will be our honeymoon and while cruising my 51st birthday.

We're really excited about this cruise. I chose it because if I am going to spend all this money on the ship, I want to enjoy the ship too. Having four days of sailing allows us to do that. The little 3 and four-day cruises would have been cheaper, but don't have time to enjoy the ship.

Our cabin is in the front on deck 2 and has two twin beds that can be pushed together to make a king-size bed. We also have porthole windows.

Any tips for first-timers on this specific ship or at all?

I recommend going over to that other site and look for the group page for your specific sailing, search for 'Carnival Horizon September 27, 2025'...or similar wording.  Lots of info can be found there and its fun, you can chat with folks that will be on your sailing.  Usually meet & greets are planned, bar crawl, etc.

(Although it is a bit far out yet, if you don't find anything, a page might not have been started yet.)

Congratulation on your engagement and up coming wedding and honeymoon cruise.  The 8 day cruise sounds perfect.

Even though it is your honeymoon cruise, I am guessing that you probably won't have photo ID with your new married name that quickly, so make sure that you book the cruise under your current name.  The important thing is that your Carnival Cruise booking name matches your gov't issued photo ID, usually a driver's license.  If you are traveling with your birth certificate, the check-in agent will be looking to see if your first & middle name, as well as your date of birth are the same on both the birth certificate & your driver's license. Many married women use their birth certificate, so don't worry about your last name not matching.

Since you have nearly 18 months before you sail, you have time to update your passport or driver's license from your previous married last name to your maiden name (if that is something you want or need to do).

Again, congrats.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lonegreywolf20 said:

A lot has happened since I last joined this board in 2013. I got divorced in 2016 and am engaged to be married again either on September 2 or 5, 2025. I booked my first cruise ever. Will be the eight-day cruise to the Southern Caribbean on the Carnival Horizon, leaving on September 27, 2025, and returning on October 5, 2025. It will be our honeymoon and while cruising my 51st birthday.

We're really excited about this cruise. I chose it because if I am going to spend all this money on the ship, I want to enjoy the ship too. Having four days of sailing allows us to do that. The little 3 and four-day cruises would have been cheaper, but don't have time to enjoy the ship.

Our cabin is in the front on deck 2 and has two twin beds that can be pushed together to make a king-size bed. We also have porthole windows.

Any tips for first-timers on this specific ship or at all?

Just congrats and after the wedding, you will need to change your cc name..😁

• Like 1

You picked a great cruise and a great ship, sailed her 5 times.  You have been around here a while.  Read review that posted.  They give give you insights.  Check out youtube for videos on the ship and sailing.  Do some planning on ports and what you think you would enjoy doing.  

There are a ton of things going on every cruise, all day long, music, entertainment, fun and games, role call get togethers, dining options and the list goes on and on.  Use the time you have to do and make them part of the fun you will have when you cruise.  When you get on the ship, take time and explore it all, it will pay dividends.  Have a great cruise and let us know your thoughts when you return.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Just congrats and after the wedding, you will need to change your cc name..😁

Maybe. I have always been lonegreywolf20. Have had that name since 1997 when I first started using the internet. We'll see.

And thank you!

DH and I celebrated our 30th on the Horizon last year for our first and only B2B.  The 8 day is wonderful with the extra sea days.  The Horizon has nice seating in shade to read or chat on Deck 5.  Loungers in the sun can become hard to find after 9 or 10 am on the upper decks.  Guys Pig and BBQ is open on day 1 for lunch if you don't want to eat the buffet on Lido.  It is free for lunch. But, we also liked it enough to pay a couple times at dinner during our time there.  LOVE the decor on the Horizon. The Dreamscapes change pictures / scenes over a span of time.  It was different from the Grand Atrium, but we liked it a lot.  On Sea Days, the Italian restaurant is free on sea days. Their lasagna is really really really good.  I can't remember if the lunch on sea days is free at the Asian restaurant......we did pay to eat there one evening at dinner, and it was pretty good.  There are hidden decks on the front of the ship on decks 7 and 6.  We had a corner room on deck 7 that had a little window. Deck 7 is right under the Bridge.  Very few people ever came out on the deck.  Nice place to watch the stars or sunset without a lot of traffic.  There is a bar at Bonzi Sushi that allows you to order drinks without eating there.  The drinks we liked best came from there ( taste is subjective ).  Guys Burgers is a must for DH.  I like one occas, but I am a Blue Iguana gal. They have breakfast and lunch options.  Lots of trivia contests, we had a WONDERFUL electric violin trio that we tried to always catch that played in a couple different places.  A very wide variety of music.  Felt they were better than the shows, but again, some things are subjective.  Found the ship fairly easy to navigate even though it was larger than the others we have been on.  Can't really comment much on the Casio except to make sure you adjust your bet from the last person who played on the slot machines as I did not realize the machine was set on 10x the bet amout...thankfully, I was only betting a measly dollar at the time.  I came out OK, but whew.....Enjoyed a couple nights of Movies Under The Stars which is a huge screen showing movies out on the deck.  If there are a lot of late night pool users, it may be difficult to hear the movie.  In room movies were not too bad.  Only cruise we ever had that we watched a couple in room movies, but we were onboard 14 days so we had a little extra time.  Probably too much info; we just really enjoyed our time. I hope you enjoy yours.  

• Like 1

Name change can be handled by having a "bridging document"

So DL in maiden name with marriage certificate will work.

But easier to make booking in the same name as your IDs

21 minutes ago, SRF said:

Name change can be handled by having a "bridging document"

So DL in maiden name with marriage certificate will work.

But easier to make booking in the same name as your IDs

That is what we did for my future wife. We made the booking in her current name and will change her name when we get back.

• Like 1

DH and I are booked on Horizon January 2025.  If you love Asian food, book dinner at Jiji's!! We have JiJi's booked for two dinners!  I also have Bonsai Teppanyaki booked (like Benihana's), Steakhouse and Cucina del Capitano (yummy Italian food).  Yes, you could book them when you board but I like to have everything paid off (using AARP discount Carnival gift cards) before I embark.  I'll be doing a LIVE review during our cruise so check it out!!😊

Congratulations and best wishes!

Even though your cruise is next year, I want to comment on a few things when y'all first board the ship. I think many first time cruisers try to pack too many activities into their first few days and end up overdoing it. Use the HUB app to see what activities are available each day. Some are available multiple times during the day or during the cruise - others are not. Prioritize and plan your activities much like you would on a land vacation. If you accidently miss an activity - see if it or a similar one is available later. The HUB app is great b/c you can tag the activities you want to attend and it will send a reminder. Also use the HUB app to check in for breakfast and dinner if you are eating in the main dining room (MDR).

As soon as you embark, do your muster safety drill first - get it out of the way, making other cruisers and the Captain happy. It's a requirement and best done first. Your boarding pass shows your muster station location and any employee will point y'all in the right direction. 

Then, if the rooms aren't ready (on most cruises they are ready around 1:30), go grab some lunch - lots of choices there. After lunch, go to your stateroom to meet your room steward and unpack. They will ask about your cleaning preferences (most times, but not always) and see if you have any special requests (distilled water, a robe or ice). For the rest of the cruise, your room steward and MDR dinner servers will remember your names. It's crazy how they can do this!

Then, after you are settled in, I would suggest taking some time to walk the ship to get your bearings. We still enjoy doing this no matter how many times we are on the same ship! 

Your choice of an 8-day cruise is great b/c there is plenty of time to enjoy your time together making memories. 

Happy cruising everyone!

• Like 1

I had a thought this morinig....you guys smell that wood burning???   A lot of Cruise Critic posters do a great job of a photo trip report.  Jamman54 did a pretty dang good report on the Horizon in 2021.  His wife gets the credit for the photos.  I happen to have it bookmarked on my laptop as I used it to keep me pumped for my cruise.  I am not sure if I am savvy enough to get the link right but it this does not work, maybe one of the other cruisers can help out. Here goes the link...maybe....

And I hope I did not break any rules by posting a link to someone else's post.  You may not be going to the same ports, but you will get a great feel for the Horizon.  When you board, you will feel like you are at home after drooling over the ship photos in the review. You can also do a search feature and use Horizon to perhaps get other links to posts.   My review on my trip did not have pictures.  

7 hours ago, DPTexas said:

Congratulations and best wishes!

Even though your cruise is next year, I want to comment on a few things when y'all first board the ship. I think many first time cruisers try to pack too many activities into their first few days and end up overdoing it. Use the HUB app to see what activities are available each day. Some are available multiple times during the day or during the cruise - others are not. Prioritize and plan your activities much like you would on a land vacation. If you accidently miss an activity - see if it or a similar one is available later. The HUB app is great b/c you can tag the activities you want to attend and it will send a reminder. Also use the HUB app to check in for breakfast and dinner if you are eating in the main dining room (MDR).

As soon as you embark, do your muster safety drill first - get it out of the way, making other cruisers and the Captain happy. It's a requirement and best done first. Your boarding pass shows your muster station location and any employee will point y'all in the right direction. 

Then, if the rooms aren't ready (on most cruises they are ready around 1:30), go grab some lunch - lots of choices there. After lunch, go to your stateroom to meet your room steward and unpack. They will ask about your cleaning preferences (most times, but not always) and see if you have any special requests (distilled water, a robe or ice). For the rest of the cruise, your room steward and MDR dinner servers will remember your names. It's crazy how they can do this!

Then, after you are settled in, I would suggest taking some time to walk the ship to get your bearings. We still enjoy doing this no matter how many times we are on the same ship! 

Your choice of an 8-day cruise is great b/c there is plenty of time to enjoy your time together making memories. 

Happy cruising everyone!

Thank you!

Will Carnival send us an email with what will be required documentation for the ports we'll be stopping at? For instance, I see that an Embarkation/Disembarkation card is required for Aruba.

Will they send something on required vaccinations?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2024 at 7:49 AM, lonegreywolf20 said:

Thank you!

Will Carnival send us an email with what will be required documentation for the ports we'll be stopping at? For instance, I see that an Embarkation/Disembarkation card is required for Aruba.

Will they send something on required vaccinations?

I do not believe it is Carnival's responsibility to inform cruisers of requirements for entry into a country - such as a Visa, etc.  It has always been our position (and understanding) that it is our individual responsibility to find out what is needed as each may differ.   Your TA or PVP may be able to help, but I would strongly suggest to not rely on them, but to visit each port and/or country's website to find out particular requirements.  Research this yourself and most importantly  - check your passport expiration date!!

I would also suggest you visit Carnival's website to read the "Cruise Ticket Contract Terms", "FAQs" and "Have Fun. Be Safe" sections that can be found in the footer at the front page of its website.   The Cruise Ticket Terms is long, but has a lot of info that (I suspect) most cruises have never read.  The FAQs section under "Know Before You Go" has a sub-section "What travel documents do I need to bring?" and the "Have Fun. Be Safe" section answers the vaccination and testing question (not required, but suggested - but this is for most departures and cruising aboard the ship).

Again, for Visa's and other documentation required by certain ports and countries, it is best to go to the particular website to find out.  Most ports require photo identification (and your Sail & Sign Card) to get back aboard ship.  Carnival will have that info for each port - usually in print form in the staterooms and discussed during pre-port meetings. 

Hopefully I've covered this well-enough.  Others may be able to add additional information.

Happy Cruising!

1 hour ago, DPTexas said:

I do not believe it is Carnival's responsibility to inform cruisers of requirements for entry into a country - such as a Visa, etc.  It has always been our position (and understanding) that it is our individual responsibility to find out what is needed as each may differ.   Your TA or PVP may be able to help, but I would strongly suggest to not rely on them, but to visit each port and/or country's website to find out particular requirements.  Research this yourself and most importantly  - check your passport expiration date!!

I would also suggest you visit Carnival's website to read the "Cruise Ticket Contract Terms", "FAQs" and "Have Fun. Be Safe" sections that can be found in the footer at the front page of its website.   The Cruise Ticket Terms is long, but has a lot of info that (I suspect) most cruises have never read.  The FAQs section under "Know Before You Go" has a sub-section "What travel documents do I need to bring?" and the "Have Fun. Be Safe" section answers the vaccination and testing question (not required, but suggested - but this is for most departures and cruising aboard the ship).

Again, for Visa's and other documentation required by certain ports and countries, it is best to go to the particular website to find out.  Most ports require photo identification (and your Sail & Sign Card) to get back aboard ship.  Carnival will have that info for each port - usually in print form in the staterooms and discussed during pre-port meetings. 

Hopefully I've covered this well-enough.  Others may be able to add additional information.

Happy Cruising!

Thank you!

Not worried about my Passport expiring as I am getting my first passport just for this.

We also do not have a travel agent and I'm not sure what a PVP is. We're doing this on our own.

2 hours ago, lonegreywolf20 said:

Thank you!

Not worried about my Passport expiring as I am getting my first passport just for this.

We also do not have a travel agent and I'm not sure what a PVP is. We're doing this on our own.

Excellent about the passport as some cruise lines and countries/ports require 3-6 months left before the passport's expiration date.  Open-loop cruises generally require cruisers to have valid passports with (generally) at least 6 months remaining after the last date of the cruise.  Each cruise line has their specific requirements, as well as countries.   (I should have mentioned this in my original reply.)   

A PVP is a Carnival Personal Vacation Planner that can be assigned to you. They help with bookings.  Some people use them and some don't.  We do when we are booking an out of the ordinary cruise.  They can supposedly also see availability that does not show up on the website.  We have found ours very useful at times. 

Looks like y'all are all set so the only thing left to do is . . . start the countdown!

Happy  Cruising Everyone!

Upgrade yourself to a Havana area stateroom. Why mingle with the unwashed masses on your honeymoon when you can have an exclusive pool, hottub and bar? It's worth the extra $$$.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lonegreywolf20 said:

Thank you!

As a first time cruiser, I would recommend using those free valuable resources that a TA or PVP provide.  PVP is personal vacation planner, basically are people that Carnival has work with clients (kind of a Carnival TA) but only deal with Carnival.  In either case they have great knowledge base and are free,,,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stobe1 said:

Upgrade yourself to a Havana area stateroom. Why mingle with the unwashed masses on your honeymoon when you can have an exclusive pool, hottub and bar? It's worth the extra $$$.

Thank you for the suggestion, but the upgrade would likely put a serious dent in our ability to do excursions.

4 minutes ago, lonegreywolf20 said:

Thank you for the suggestion, but the upgrade would likely put a serious dent in our ability to do excursions.

Speaking of money, have you checked out AARP discount gift cards for Carnival?  You need a membership, don't have to be 50 or over anymore and you can apply your gift cards to pay off your cruise fare, excursions, specialty restaurants, pretty much everything on board and save 10%.  I've been using them on all my cruises and the savings really add up.