Queen Anne Alternative Dining

Pear Carr

12 minutes ago, Pear Carr said:

I hadn’t realised that eating in the Golden Lion will be an additional charge.

Food at the Golden Lion is included in your fare and alcohol is purchasable as priced.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Food at the Golden Lion is included in your fare and alcohol is purchasable as priced

Not according to the email I received today - Golden Lion is in the alternative dining selection that comes with an additional cost, together with Tramonto, Aji Wa, Sir Samuel's and Aranya. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Pear Carr said:

Not according to the email I received today - Golden Lion is in the alternative dining selection that comes with an additional cost, together with Tramonto, Aji Wa, Sir Samuel's and Aranya. 

I had something that implied Aji Wa and Sir Sam’s were extra, but not the others. Sorry, can’t find it.

Edited by exlondoner

Posted (edited)
Cunard logo

The Golden Lion Pub on Queen Anne

Alternative dining on Queen Anne 

Additional cost
Dining

Indulge in expertly curated cuisine at one of Queen Anne’s alternative restaurants.

For an extra special evening, instead of dining at your main restaurant consider booking a table at one of the alternative options on board. From Mediterranean flavours and tastes of Japan, to a flagship steakhouse and grill, Queen Anne offers an exciting array of cuisines to cater to the tastebuds of all guests. In every restaurant find the impeccable White Star Service that Cunard is known for, a warm and welcoming ambience, and choose dishes from menus that feature the finest ingredients from around the globe.

Tramonto

Render of the Tramonto Restaurant on board Queen Anne

The golden glint of olive oil. The salty tang of the sea. The sweetness of ripe tomato. Close your eyes and find yourself spirited away to seductive summer nights in the likes of Sicily, Sardinia, and Seville at Queen Anne’s evening-only dining experience, Tramonto. 

Inspired by fresh Mediterranean flavours, with a sprinkling of African and Arabic influences, Tramonto offers simple and authentic dishes that pay homage to Europe’s sunshine region. 

With sun-soaked flavours and sparkling sea views, wherever you are in the world, Tramonto will bring the sunshine to you.

Aji Wa

Render of the Aji Wa Restaurant on board Queen Anne

Aji Wa, meaning ‘harmony of flavours,’ combines the signature tastes of Japan with the artistry of skilled chefs for a truly authentic dining experience. Menus evolve across the year to reflect the seasonality of ingredients and Queen Anne’s location. Where you choose to sit (and the time of day you visit) will also influence how your experience unfolds. 

Choose a table in the main restaurant, savouring fluffy bao buns, pan-fried gyozas, and feather-light tempura from the all-day menu. Fill up on freshly pressed sushi rolls and finely sliced sashimi at the sit-up sushi bar. Or indulge in delicately seared Wagyu beef from the yakitori grill, perhaps with a sake or a signature Aji Wa cocktail. You’ll also find a Japanese twist on Afternoon Tea, while in the evening, you can let our chefs surprise you with a sublime tasting menu. 

Sir Samuel's

Render of the Sir Samuel's Restaurant on board Queen Anne

Paying homage to Cunard’s founder, Sir Samuel’s is a culinary coupling of land and ocean, where nothing (least of all the ingredients) comes as standard. 

The most succulent steaks; subtly smoked and served with your choice of knife. Fruit de mer platters infused with all the flavours of the sea. Irresistible Dover sole delicately deboned at your table. These are the signature tastes Sir Samuel’s invites you to indulge in. 

Everything here is best in class, selected for its sustainability and its provenance. You’ll find the menu as well travelled as our ships, with prime cuts from around the world, expertly dry-aged in perfect temperature-controlled chambers.

Aranya

Render of the Aranya Restaurant on board Queen Anne

Designed to delight and surprise, Aranya (meaning forest or wilderness in Sanskrit) will take you on a sensory tour of the Indian subcontinent with playful interpretations of classic Indian cuisine. 

Where you choose to take your taste buds to is up to you, be it the sprawling bazaars of Delhi, the lush green pastures of Kerala, or perhaps the golden sands of Goa. At Aranya, every evening is a new adventure and you’re at the helm. 

Warm papadams dipped into fruity chutneys. Fluffy rice, perfumed with fragrant cardamon. Delicately spiced sauces that flood your palate with flavour. Whatever you choose, quintessential Indian flavours are creatively reimagined with an original Aranya twist.

The Golden Lion

Render of The Golden Lion pub on board Queen Anne

Sunday roasts with lashings of gravy. ‘Proper’ pints served straight from the tap. Bloody Marys as red as our ship’s funnels. If the day calls for classic pub fare, look no further than Queen Anne’s Golden Lion. 

The menu – designed by two Michelin starred chef Michel Roux – offers a fresh take on pub classics, while the drinks selection boasts an ever-changing line-up of ales (including three Cunard exclusives) and wines from around the world. 

In this stylish yet casual watering hole, there’s no need to dress up nor book in advance. Even on Gala Evenings, relaxed dress is welcome. Simply turn up and slide into a leather banquette, pull up a stool at the bar, or take a seat by the stage for a prime view of the live entertainment.
Edited by Pear Carr

Sorry that this is not very well edited - not sure if the additional cost will apply to evening dining in the Golden Lion and lunches will be included as is on the other 3 Queens.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pear Carr said:

The references to 'Additional Cost'  in a couple of emails relate to 'Alcohol' although no food is served   - if you look at some previous emails and other references ie  Commodore Club & Queens Room there is also a mention of additional cost, although we understand food is not served in those venues .   

• Like 2

I am not quite sure why Cunard is promoting it as ‘Additional Cost Dining’ then in the email I received and differentiates between the above named alternative restaurants and the ‘Included Dining’ options. All will no doubt become clear when we board.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Pear Carr said:

I am not quite sure why Cunard is promoting it as ‘Additional Cost Dining’ then in the email I received and differentiates between the above named alternative restaurants and the ‘Included Dining’ options. All will no doubt become clear when we board.

The QA alternative dining at cost does include the pub on the website.

However, the web site also says 'included'.

If this is now chargeable and  if the other ships are to go by, it leaves the Lido as the  'relaxed; dining venue on Gala evenings and I really can't see this being the only option.

We will see, soon.

Edited by Victoria2

I've just checked my future booking for Queen Anne and I must say it is not clear whether there is a charge for the Golden Lion.

There are four restaurants (the Asian, Italian and steak house) which are labelled 'Additional' but they are grouped under a particular category - 'Flavours of the World'.

Under 'Traditional tastes' they have the pub but no mention of it being included in the fare.

The next section is 'Traditional Afternoon Tea' and it includes the text 'Included in your fare' whereas the Champagne afternoon Tea's description avoids any mention of additional charge or inclusion in fare (as per the description of the pub). I'd say they're either going to charge for it or there's just been no eye for detail on the descriptions. Both options I would suggest are equally likely having seen the way the website is managed (I use the term loosely).

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe the pub lunch will be included in the fare while, like Lido alt restaurants, dinner menu under the M Roux dinner will be an additional charge. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 1

While I take the view that this new innovative style of multi choice alternative dining could be a winner for Cunard (and eventually its shareholders), I would also admit I'm certainly neither overwhelmed with the choice of options nor inspired with the launch programme.

Having yesterday checked with 'My bookings' and, with 38 days to go, this was the offering.... 

AlternativeDining1.thumb.jpg.8076a2e4204a33edf317c02a018ae187.jpg

No prices as yet and a dollop of confusion as to advance booking.....

AlternativeDining2.thumb.jpg.3a0730ae5d9a98e95e56d29d7d001fab.jpg

Of course, being a conspiracy theorist at heart, it may well be that Cunard have a plan for this rather special event. 😈 😈 😉 

46 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Well, the laundry must love it.... not a tablecloth in sight in any of them.  So its all variations on pub dining at least ambience wise rather than fine dining.  

We've dined 'well', as opposed to top notch 'fine' eg. most definitely not pub grub, in a few places recently and the modern twist seems to be tables with beautiful appropriate tableware, and not a tablecloth in sight.

We 'dined fine' a few weeks ago and yes, beautiful linens were definitely part of the experience.

I have no issue with the lack of tablecloths in modern establishments which don't pretend to be 'fine dining'. I'll leave the tablecloth expectation to the main restaurants on-board.

Posted (edited)

We are 88 days to go till our cruise on QA and see the same 'enquire on board' message under alternative dining. I can only imagine therefore that rather than there being a standardised window of opportunity to book one of these venues in advance, they are still working out the costs or troubleshooting the res system

Edited by blonde-cruiser

51 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

We've dined 'well', as opposed to top notch 'fine' eg. most definitely not pub grub, in a few places recently and the modern twist seems to be tables with beautiful appropriate tableware, and not a tablecloth in sight.

We 'dined fine' a few weeks ago and yes, beautiful linens were definitely part of the experience.

I have no issue with the lack of tablecloths in modern establishments which don't pretend to be 'fine dining'. I'll leave the tablecloth expectation to the main restaurants on-board.

As far as I can see, the really major advantage of table cloths is they absorb a lot of noise, which bare wood does not. In a noisy restaurant this can make a huge difference, but may not matter in a smallish space with well behaved Cunard passengers. On the other hand, when I managed to knock over a nearly full bottle of Malbec in QG last summer, I imagine the staff would have been happier without table cloths to sort out.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

As far as I can see, the really major advantage of table cloths is they absorb a lot of noise, which bare wood does not. In a noisy restaurant this can make a huge difference, but may not matter in a smallish space with well behaved Cunard passengers. On the other hand, when I managed to knock over a nearly full bottle of Malbec in QG last summer, I imagine the staff would have been happier without table cloths to sort out.

I can see the point re sound absorption and we have stopped dining in some pubs for that exact reason, but luckily, the venues we went to weren't large and the clientele, not particularly rowdy.

Hopefully, Cunard will be similar. 🤞

• Like 2

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Both sound and wine absorbing. Dual use for tablecloths!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

While I take the view that this new innovative style of multi choice alternative dining could be a winner for Cunard (and eventually its shareholders), I would also admit I'm certainly neither overwhelmed with the choice of options nor inspired with the launch programme.

Having yesterday checked with 'My bookings' and, with 38 days to go, this was the offering.... 

AlternativeDining1.thumb.jpg.8076a2e4204a33edf317c02a018ae187.jpg

No prices as yet and a dollop of confusion as to advance booking.....

AlternativeDining2.thumb.jpg.3a0730ae5d9a98e95e56d29d7d001fab.jpg

Of course, being a conspiracy theorist at heart, it may well be that Cunard have a plan for this rather special event. 😈 😈 😉 

Interestingly, on my account, I don't see those thumbnails with descriptions. This is what I see, plus the note that booking is available two weeks before departure. My cruise is over 100 days out.

image.thumb.png.426e1c2a97590fba013fb957f4c6dc58.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, abdullahhoneymoon said:

Interestingly, on my account, I don't see those thumbnails with descriptions. This is what I see, plus the note that booking is available two weeks before departure. My cruise is over 100 days out.

image.thumb.png.426e1c2a97590fba013fb957f4c6dc58.png

I would suggest that Cunard 's IT has a system trigger switch linked to 'days from' cruise that will switch the additional options on and a further one for actual bookings and pricing.

Fortunately, as stated at # 17 I stated 'I'm certainly neither overwhelmed with the choice of options' and therefore aren't logging in daily hoping to grab a booking.