Is getting Oceania shareholder credit usually so difficult?

Stockjock

I own NCLH stock, so I contacted Oceania in the first half of last year to apply for $100 shareholder's OBC.  It was rejected, as it was too soon (2nd half 2024 sailing).  I waited until late in the year and tried again.  Again, it was rejected for the same reason.

I tried it again several times in 2024.  I didn't receive an acceptance or rejection, but my OBC shown online didn't change.  I waited a few weeks and called Oceania, but that didn't seem to help.  Finally, I decided I'd submit weekly until I got an answer.  Today, I got a message that they've added shareholder's OBC, but the amount previously shown ($300 from my Amex Platinum Cruise Privileges benefit) hasn't changed, so I'll give it a few days.

Is it normally this hard to get shareholder credit applied?  When I login to Oceania's website, shouldn't that amount shown have increased from $300 to $400, or not necessarily?

Hi @Stockjock,

In the past my application for the shareholder credit has gone through smoothly at times, and only after much frustrating follow-up, at times.  My Oceania representative advised me once to wait until 30 days before the sail-date to apply, and since then, it goes through within a business day

In case this helps,

Greg from the WildWanderers.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I own NCLH stock, so I contacted Oceania in the first half of last year to apply for $100 shareholder's OBC.  It was rejected, as it was too soon (2nd half 2024 sailing).  I waited until late in the year and tried again.  Again, it was rejected for the same reason.

I tried it again several times in 2024.  I didn't receive an acceptance or rejection, but my OBC shown online didn't change.  I waited a few weeks and called Oceania, but that didn't seem to help.  Finally, I decided I'd submit weekly until I got an answer.  Today, I got a message that they've added shareholder's OBC, but the amount previously shown ($300 from my Amex Platinum Cruise Privileges benefit) hasn't changed, so I'll give it a few days.

Is it normally this hard to get shareholder credit applied?  When I login to Oceania's website, shouldn't that amount shown have increased from $300 to $400, or not necessarily?

It should show up as a line item all on it's own. I had trouble with mine posting and reached out to my TA and it showed up right away. If you have a TA you might try contacting them about it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

It should show up as a line item all on it's own. I had trouble with mine posting and reached out to my TA and it showed up right away. If you have a TA you might try contacting them about it. 

My travel agent isn't always great at getting back to me promptly (if at all), so I called Oceania and the agent said that he can see the credit as a "line item", but it won't show up when I log into their website.

I'll just wait until we get closer to the sail date and then request an invoice.  But yes, it wasn't as quick/smooth as what I've experienced elsewhere.

• Like 1

Yes, I submit after final payment date. Most recent cruise it was posted same day. It will be listed on page 3 of your Oceania invoice. Call O and ask for a new invoice.

Unless your TA gives you a big discount (in lieu of good service), time to look around for another……

I know some will say you should get big discounts AND great service……but you should get at least one, am I right?

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

Yes, I submit after final payment date. Most recent cruise it was posted same day. It will be listed on page 3 of your Oceania invoice. Call O and ask for a new invoice.

Unless your TA gives you a big discount (in lieu of good service), time to look around for another……

I know some will say you should get big discounts AND great service……but you should get at least one, am I right?

Enjoy your cruise!

FWIW, I paid the cruise in full at least a year before the sail date.  I know that I didn't have to, but I did.

9 hours ago, Stockjock said:

FWIW, I paid the cruise in full at least a year before the sail date.  I know that I didn't have to, but I did.

final payment date is the date that it is due, the date you must pay it by. Not the date you just happen to pay it on.

• Like 1

I believe they don't credit you for stock ownership until you prove to them that you still own the stock at or close to sale date.   Late in 2023 for a late 2024 cruise allows too much time for the shareholder to dispose of the shares after claiming the credit.   We have gotten the credit several times, by producing a page from our Fidelity account, showing the holding.  But it has always been shortly before the sailing date (maybe 30-45 days)   

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Stockjock! The days of “free money” have ended! You can (finally) earn some interest on your money. Why prepay instead of collecting short term interest?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

My criteria is great service and modest perks (PPG, and or SBC). I wouldn't give up great service for big discounts.  I want to know that my TA has my back.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Stockjock! The days of “free money” have ended! You can (finally) earn some interest on your money. Why prepay instead of collecting short term interest?

There's actually a good reason.  I received several Amex Offers, where if I booked or added $1,000, I'd get a $200 rebate.  So it made sense to chip away at those offers and on the last one, I was nearly paid in full, so I completed the payment.

I have that same offer once again ($200 back), but I'd have to pay $1,000 on a fully paid-up booking.  I thought about doing that, as I have no perks (no drinks, spending cash from Oceania, etc.)

I'm with a big Wall Street firm, and we're paying 5% on new money into preferred savings, but it's hard to argue with a 20% rebate.  I also received a $300 onboard credit and invite to a wine tasting from Amex Platinum (cruise must be booked through an Amex qualified agent - there are plenty out there.)  So all of that helps.

Edited by Stockjock

6 hours ago, Stockjock said:

There's actually a good reason.  I received several Amex Offers, where if I booked or added $1,000, I'd get a $200 rebate.  So it made sense to chip away at those offers and on the last one, I was nearly paid in full, so I completed the payment.

I have that same offer once again ($200 back), but I'd have to pay $1,000 on a fully paid-up booking.  I thought about doing that, as I have no perks (no drinks, spending cash from Oceania, etc.)

I'm with a big Wall Street firm, and we're paying 5% on new money into preferred savings, but it's hard to argue with a 20% rebate.  I also received a $300 onboard credit and invite to a wine tasting from Amex Platinum (cruise must be booked through an Amex qualified agent - there are plenty out there.)  So all of that helps.

Oh man! My Platinum AMEX doesn’t ever have that great offer. Am envious!

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

Oh man! My Platinum AMEX doesn’t ever have that great offer. Am envious!

Enjoy your cruise!

Have you checked recently? They just dropped the offer to us recently. 

4 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

@edgeeMaybe edgee can speak up on this as they previously posted that they received their credit for three cruises and one was more than a year out.

I had no problem with a cruise that was many months out, but others seem to have trouble. Maybe some new tougher rules are in effect. I am not sure.