74 Latitudes Points - Will NCL bump status?

7 minutes ago, Exuberant said:

Talking about status levels has happened on all the cruises I've been on

Wow. I'm just a few points short of you, and I've never.once.ever had a discussion with other passengers on a cruise about status level. Very odd.

Just now, IAcruising said:

Wow. I'm just a few points short of you, and I've never.once.ever had a discussion with other passengers on a cruise about status level. Very odd.

Maybe one day you'll get invited to dinner and someone will ask you? Idk, I'm typically with the solo group throughout the entire cruises and mostly take 12 day+ cruises so always end up with several close friends after every cruise. 

1 hour ago, Exuberant said:

It seems like most people here haven't been in this situation, so I've got no idea why they are being so hostile when I just wanted more data points. 

This is Cruise Critic. Not the friendliest place on the net. But at least information here usually is pretty reliable. Contrary to what you find on another very popular site whose name should not be mentioned here. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Asawi said:

This is Cruise Critic. Not the friendliest place on the net. But at least information here usually is pretty reliable. Contrary to what you find on another very popular site whose name should not be mentioned here. 

Truth. Reading our cruise page on that site makes my head explode.

2 hours ago, Exuberant said:

I'm not sure what you manufactured me assuming in your mind.

Really? Then you must not have even read the post you quoted where I stated it plainly.

2 hours ago, Exuberant said:

I shared my experience and that's it.

No you didn't. Your unique experience only came out when you became combative. And it certainly wasn't "it" was it? In fact, your whole purpose wasn't to share your experience, it was..to use your own words:

20 hours ago, Exuberant said:

best way to go about trying to get them to honor platinum this time...

6 hours ago, itsnotjustme said:

The threshold is 75, not 80.

I was referring to the change in 2017 when the threshold was increased to 80.

You are correct that it has now reduced again, which I had forgotten about when I posted yesterday. That will explain why the grandfathering no longer occurs as the threshold is now lower than it was originally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember when someone could ask a question and actually get an answer or several answers without some members bringing all the bitterness to a subject, it  seems to be very common now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

For what it’s worth, I can certainly see how status could come up in discussions at the solo meet ups when people are arranging meals and platinum vouchers can potentially be used.

I have no recent personal experience, but I’m certainly not going to embarrass myself on here by trying to claim that I know better than others what has happened to them when I’m not around.

The rest of you, carry on, you’re very entertaining.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I remember when someone could ask a question and actually get an answer or several answers without some members bringing all the bitterness to a subject, it  seems to be very common now.

I also remember a time when people would only post to answer the question or participate in the discussion without some members feeling that they had to pop in and drop judgment on other people. When did it become OK to display one's "holier than thou" tendencies?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Oh well. Maybe I'll get my pin to throw in the drawer with the rest.

Not until your next cruise.  I asked - I made Gold on my cruise last year, they wouldn't give me the pin (I asked when I was getting my Silver pin).  I should have asked for my Platinum pin when I went for my Gold one since I made that on my cruise this year.

11 hours ago, Exuberant said:

One person said that when they had 74 points they were pleasantly surprised at check in that they had the platinum status card in their room and got honored the benefits for laundry and dining which would be nice

There have been SOME reports of people getting a cabin that was made available by someone else upgrading, but when they got there the benefits information from the guest that had originally booked the cabin had been staged, as though that person was still going to be in the room.  I wonder if that's what happened.  It's a lot more likely that a mistake like that could happen recently when you consider how many cabins each steward has to turn over.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Carnival treats the passenger as though the are already the higher status when they first go onto the ship if they are going to change to that higher level during the cruise.

IOW If the passenger will be changing to Platinum during the cruise all the Platinum goodies are gifted from the first day: free bags of laundry, the number depending on the length of the cruise, a gift, a free drink, the elite party, the special Elite line at Guest Services etc. For a cruise of 12+ days there are 5 bags of laundry.

This doesnt apply if the passenger will move up the last day of the cruise as it is not a full day.

Edited by sailingships

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2024 at 2:35 AM, Exuberant said:

I'm at 74 latitudes points aka probably the most painful number of points. I've got a 14 day cruise coming up and have heard that some people have been lucky in having a higher status honored when they are super close. I'm curious if anyone here has experience with this and can provide a data point or best way to go about trying to get them to honor platinum this time...

I will give you a real life data point that is EXACTLY the same. A cruise as Gold left us at 74 points as well.  We did not get any "bump" as most everyone on this thread is indicating is the policy.  Our next cruise was a 9-day and, again, as indicated, there was no benefits added after night one.  Of course our Platinum status was earned within 24hrs of completing that cruise.

My only story of a benefit, was the watch salesperson offering me an extra 10% off as a "special Platinum discount", since I was "so close"...LOL!  I'm sure he was offering the same 10% off to the next potential customer as a "First timer benefit".

So specifically answering your 74 point situation,  enjoy your next cruise as Gold!

Edited by JandC_Cruising
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I used to think it was a big deal to become Platinum, with the additional perks. However, it now seems like almost everyone and their brother (or sister) is at least Platinum due to NCL having numerous promos to double or triple the number of points for a number of cruises in the recent past. 

We just became Platinum last month. I guess we'll see how hard it is to snag spots on the Behind the Scenes tour and Wines Around the World on our next cruise. At least we'll be able to get free laundry, chocolate covered strawberries and (most importantly) a couple extra Specialty dinners.

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

We just became Platinum last month. I guess we'll see how hard it is to snag spots on the Behind the Scenes tour and Wines Around the World on our next cruise. At least we'll be able to get free laundry, chocolate covered strawberries and (most importantly) a couple extra Specialty dinners.

Never had an issue getting a behind the scenes tour but I sign up the first day. 
  The valuable perks for me are the free laundry and dinners. I’m Sapphire now and don’t think I’ve seen or used the additional perks. 

10 minutes ago, G-DawgMN said:

Never had an issue getting a behind the scenes tour but I sign up the first day. 
  The valuable perks for me are the free laundry and dinners. I’m Sapphire now and don’t think I’ve seen or used the additional perks. 

I agree with this. The real perks are the dinners, the laundry, and the % of excursions. 

• Like 3

On 3/28/2024 at 3:35 AM, Exuberant said:

I'm at 74 latitudes points aka probably the most painful number of points. I've got a 14 day cruise coming up and have heard that some people have been lucky in having a higher status honored when they are super close. I'm curious if anyone here has experience with this and can provide a data point or best way to go about trying to get them to honor platinum this time...

If you are at 74 points, then you are currently GOLD. This means you have gone through three status changes: None-Bronze, Bronze-Silver, Silver-Gold.

In any of your prior changes in Latitude levels, did NCL bump your status early, or did you have to wait until it actually posted after a cruise? Wouldn't it make sense that they would handle the transition from Gold-Platinum the same way?

1 hour ago, G-DawgMN said:

Our first Platinum cruise will be in September. The problem is it's a loop where people board in both Barcelona and Rome. We board in Rome a few days after the Barcelona boarders, so they will have already hoarded the spots for the tour and tasting. I doubt they will add additional tours/tastings for the Rome boarders.

14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I remember when someone could ask a question and actually get an answer

Perhaps you've stopped actually reading the threads over the last 70k posts. Understandable.

Questions are always answered. But based on experience (which you obviously have), sometimes the motive is just as important as the question.

Questioning the OP's motive is just as important as answering the question. Wouldn't you agree?

It's certainly more fun.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Wow !  Seventy thousand posts in just 12 years.  I think you just won the internet for today.  Maybe for this week or even this month.  Please tell us more about the time when discussions on CC were more civilized (or is it spelled "civilised" where you live?).

I will leave that discussion for another thread but yes CC members are much more civilised where I live. And our forums tend to have nicer discussions even on topics that can cause rancour.

However, that being said, post covid has made many discussion topics seem acidic towards the OP or any who has an opposing view.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IAcruising said:

Perhaps you've stopped actually reading the threads over the last 70k posts. Understandable.

Questions are always answered. But based on experience (which you obviously have), sometimes the motive is just as important as the question.

Questioning the OP's motive is just as important as answering the question. Wouldn't you agree?

It's certainly more fun.

I haven't stopped reading, I just been more selective on how far into a thread I read. Perhaps motive can determine how to answer a query more precisely but then who's motive are you applying, yours or the questioners, or even another's motive which may not have been anything sinister.

And as for having more fun, we certainly can do with more of that.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

but then who's motive are you applying, yours or the questioners, or even another's motive which may not have been anything sinister.

But, but, that's the point! What is the motive behind an OP? or a response to an OP?  Do they simply want to know if their son can get a virgin drink? Or are they attempting to "find a scheme" to get around paying for their son's drink? Motive.

11 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

And as for having more fun, we certainly can do with more of that.

Exactly. Feel free to join in.

Edited by IAcruising
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck. It could just be a duck.

Heheh. Just because I see a duck, and hear a duck, doesn't mean I'm going to ignore the shotgun in the bushes.

• Haha 1