Request for a Cruise Meal Box for Excursions

akaCruiser

On 4/1/2024 at 7:43 PM, Senga said:

Memories.  Was this the Meridian?

No, it was the Amerikanis and the Galileo of Chandris Fantasy Cruises. I sailed both of those ships in 88 and 89 and they provided a boxed lunch even if you were not on a tour. You called to have it arranged and they would provide you with one. The Galileo ended up becoming Meridian for Celebrity Cruises when Chandris started up Celebrity Cruises in 1990. 

• Like 1

And there lies your answer:  the box lunch was not off loaded from the ship.  Probably provided by a local vendor....onshore.

I understand the restrictions.  Hawaii has you fill out an agriculture form if arriving by air. They are very strict with regards what is brought into the islands.  And what is taken out of the islands.  You need to go through an agriculture inspection at the airport (luggage AND carry ons).

I am guessing that if it was once living or could live, one shouldn't take it ashore.  Baked goods are probably an exception as long as there isn't cheese or dairy involved.  Best to stick with pre-packaged items.  You can get crackers and individual peanut butter cups from any US grocery store.

On 4/1/2024 at 2:54 PM, azbirdmom said:

Yes, back in the 80's I was cruising on a Carnival ship and had an excursion from Cozumel to Tulum.  They gave us a boxed lunch and when the ferry docked at Playa del Carmen (which was nothing like it is now) a bunch of hungry kids were begging for food.  They knew exactly what was in those boxes and some just asked for the apple etc.  I looked at my traveling companion and knowing that there was so much food on the ship we both handed over our lunch boxes to the kids.  MANY years later we did the same excursion on a Princess ship and I recounted that story to our tour guide.  He said that he may have been the kid we gave our boxes to as that was a common thing for the kids to do when he was growing up.  But that was the last time that I have received a lunch box from a ship.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

They are very strict with regards what is brought into the islands.  And what is taken out of the islands.  You need to go through an agriculture inspection at the airport (luggage AND carry ons).

Did you know that coconut palm trees and pineapples are NOT native to the Hawaiian islands?  

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

Did you know that coconut palm trees and pineapples are NOT native to the Hawaiian islands?  

Technically, there is NOTHING that is native to the Hawaiian Islands.  Everything was brought over by the ocean currents, birds (animals), and Polynesian travelers. Once the islands were discovered, we became a melting pot of cultures and foods from all over the world. So much still to be learned.  

I am thrilled to hear that you are so knowledgable about the islands.  With advance technology, DNA can be traced to the origin of many people/animals/plants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2024 at 3:13 PM, ldubs said:

I hear taxi drivers would rather be tipped in scones.  😀

We met a lady on a cruise years ago and her husband made her pack one of those breakfast English muffin type sandwiches in a napkin to take ashore for lunch.   Needless to say we thought it was disgusting and he was a cheapskate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruisintimer said:

We met a lady on a cruise years ago and her husband made her pack one of those breakfast English muffin type sandwiches in a napkin to take ashore for lunch.   Needless to say we thought it was disgusting and he was a cheapskate. 

Not being someone's preference is understandable.  Disgusting is kind of a strong word for this situation.  It being their business, I don't get wound up with how people spend or don't spend their money.  The bad part is in all likelihood they were in violation of the local rules for bringing in that food.

On 3/31/2024 at 4:46 PM, SCX22 said:

This actually applies to some cruisers.  There are some cruisers who are on a strict budget and want to milk every penny out of their cruise fare.  They have a big breakfast, go on an an all day excursion, and don't eat again until they return to the ship.  I've been accompanied by some of these types on Princess excursions. 

IMO, it's worth it to treat yourself and spend money while ashore to get some local eats.

Or it has nothing to do with budget.  Because we've had a good breakfast a sit down lunch is often just not in the cards.  Instead we might pick up some goodies while we are roaming around (especially from those wonderful bakeries).  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Not being someone's preference is understandable.  Disgusting is kind of a strong word for this situation.  It being their business, I don't get wound up with how people spend or don't spend their money.  The bad part is in all likelihood they were in violation of the local rules for bringing in that food.

She understandably thought it was disgusting and we agreed.  A cold, hard frisbee puck for lunch is disgusting and yes that was our opinion.  She said he was too cheap to buy her lunch.

Edited by Cruisintimer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/5/2024 at 10:08 AM, Cruisintimer said:

She understandably thought it was disgusting and we agreed.  A cold, hard frisbee puck for lunch is disgusting and yes that was our opinion.  She said he was too cheap to buy her lunch.

While I still think disgust is a rather strong emotion to be reserved for more important things, I recognize and have empathy for your feelings about this.   

A few years ago while  on a cruise to Alaska we were in line to depart the ship.  There were two lines moving ahead.

In the left line was a young Woman who must have had the word Entitled embossed in gold letters on her tail assembly.

And, She was eating one the large muffins as she was walking off the ship.

A crew member stopped her and told her she would have to step out of line to finish the muffin or toss it into the waste basket.

In a loud voice to draw attention of those around her, she boldly stated NO I will stand right here until I finish eating this.

About 2 seconds later a female security officer grabbed her by the arm and frog marched her over next to the bulkhead.  At that time a Male Officer had his head down close to her talking and was pointing down to the dock.  I don't think he was giving her directions on how to depart the ship by walking down the gangplank. 

Moral of this story is, pay attention to port rules.

Bob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, 4x4bob said:

In a loud voice to draw attention of those around her, she boldly stated NO I will stand right here until I finish eating this.

Now, that sounds like a classic Karen.

• Haha 1

Earlier this year we did a cruise from Sydney to Tasmania return with two port stops. So a totally Australian cruise 

At the first stop, Burnie, which is a working port with no cruise terminal, there were biosecurity officers onboard the ship checking all bags before passengers were allowed to leave the ship.

At Hobart, which does have a cruise terminal, the bag checks were conducted as you entered the terminal. 

Australia and New Zealand take biosecurity very seriously to avoid imported pests making new homes there. In fact in Australia there are even biosecurity checks between some states.

27 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

In fact in Australia there are even biosecurity checks between some states.

Just like in California.

On 4/5/2024 at 6:15 AM, Cruisintimer said:

Sailing to Hawaii on the Crown right now, looking forward to dining out on the different islands again and experiencing some new dishes, any recommendations?

I would love to list foods to try at every Hawaii port, but unfortunately, this is not the thread to do it on.

I would corner Tiki Dave or Lealoha and ask them for recommendations for some "real" local foods AND snacks breaks.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 4x4bob said:

Moral of this story is, pay attention to port rules.

Bob

Or don't eat in line while getting off the ship. 😉