Guaranteed vs Waitlisted cabins

I tried to find this on the search forum. Only thing that populated was around excursions. 

I would like to understand the difference between waitlisted, and guaranteed cabins?  I would assume that guaranteed means you will sail, in at least that cabin category, vs waitlisted having no guarantee?  Since assuming is not always wise. I would appreciate confirmation/clarification?  Thank you! 

Posted (edited)

For Waitlisted, think "I'm on a waiting list for a particular type cabin". You can PAY a deposit and get on a "real" waitlist, where you'll have a number showing your place in the queue. Or not, and take your chances, as it will clear those who paid a deposit first. There is NO guarantee that you'll cruise from a Waitlist. Whether you paid a deposit or not. If your cabin type doesn't come available, you won't cruise.

Then for Guaranteed, think "I've paid a deposit and O guarantees that "I'll get on that cabin level or higher". BUT you may find out a week or two in advance and you have little or no choice on the cabin type or location. You'll be cruising, and your price will be at the Guaranteed cabin rate, but you took your chances as to where on the ship and in what type cabin.

Edited by MEFIowa
Added a clarifying comment
  • Like 2

"Guarantee" = We'll have a cabin for you, but we're waiting to see how to juggle you and others for the most profit.

"Waitlist" (w/ deposit) = We already have enough customers to fill our cabins, but if folks cancel you are number X for a vacancy.

"Waitlist" (w/o deposit) = We already have enough customers to fill our cabins, but understand you are interested in the voyage.

• Like 3

That is what I thought, but wanted to make sure. Thank you both. I was looking at an itinerary and several categories showed one or the other. Given airfare, and all the other  planning in advance on a long distance destination, I don’t know that my nervous system could handle Guaranteed, and it’s a hard no for waitlist! Thanks again. 

34 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Given airfare, and all the other  planning in advance on a long distance destination, I don’t know that my nervous system could handle Guaranteed

I guess I don't understand the problem, you make arrangements just like any cruise that you have a room with. You're guaranteed. You're going on the cruise. 

36 minutes ago, ORV said:

I guess I don't understand the problem, you make arrangements just like any cruise that you have a room with. You're guaranteed. You're going on the cruise. 

Perhaps it's the part I left out...

4 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

"Guarantee" = We'll have a cabin for you, but we're waiting to see how to juggle you and others for the most profit.

...but understand whatever cabin you get, it'll be one no one else wanted.  🙄

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snaefell3 said:

Perhaps it's the part I left out...

...but understand whatever cabin you get, it'll be one no one else wanted.  🙄

Actually I've been pleasantly surprised before. Got an extended balcony Concierge on the aft of an R ship once. But then again we're pretty ok with just about any room on the ship. It's got to be really bad for me to have a problem with it. They can save the dozen mattresses to stack up for someone else. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, ORV said:

Actually I've been pleasantly surprised before. Got an extended balcony Concierge on the aft of an R ship once. But then again we're pretty ok with just about any room on the ship. It's got to be really bad for me to have a problem with it. They can save the dozen mattresses to stack up for someone else. 

What a great pleasant surprise!  

The only other difference is that with a “Guarantee”  the cost of the cabin is the cost at the time of booking. With a “Waitlist” the  cost of the cabin is the cost  when a cabin becomes ‘available’. You then have the choice to accept or not.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ORV said:

Actually I've been pleasantly surprised before. Got an extended balcony Concierge on the aft of an R ship once.

...that no one else wanted, right?  😜  Lucky you, crazy them.  😉 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

...that no one else wanted, right?  😜  Lucky you, crazy them.  😉 

They might have been a no show, or cancelled at the last minute. Don't remember the details. But more than once I've booked a guarantee in a lower level to get that price, sometimes when none were listed, but our TA was able to get it for us. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ORV said:

They might have been a no show, or cancelled at the last minute. Don't remember the details. But more than once I've booked a guarantee in a lower level to get that price, sometimes when none were listed, but our TA was able to get it for us. 

There you go…..simply stating facts on what has actually happened to you!! Facts are really not appreciated too much on here. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, ORV said:

In January we were a very last minute, one week before, ‘no show’ (cancellation) in an A1 so hopefully somebody really got to enjoy an ‘upgrade’!

• Like 3

I used to book gty.  My experiences were good. I really didn’t care about location. I usually got the category cabin that I booked.  I never got a bad location. I saved money.  Times change. Now, I book a specific cabin.  Since mobility has become an issue, location is important.  I have never waitlisted a cruise.  I have booked very late.  It can be a way to save money. However, airfares may be high.  Last year, we booked a cruise a few weeks before it sailed.  Got a good deal. Couldn’t find good air at any price. We opted to let Oceania book the air. The price was good. The flights were crazy.  Changing planes and flying in a crazy routing was bizarre. However, we got to the cruise and got home.  We had a great time.

• Like 1

I have been burned on guaranteed cabins.  I also don't want to gamble on waitlists.  For our upcoming O cruise, we booked late and settled for a lower cabin rather than deal with uncertainty.  This itinerary was the exact one we wanted at precisely the right date.  I've been on R ships before, so I know what to expect.  I am going to be happy with my little cabin and completely enjoy my trip.  (I don't think I'll miss a butler one bit. 🙂)

• Like 1

I also like to book the suite I want, that way we are not disappointed - we get what we've paid for, plus we'll enjoy the cruise much more.  Guaranteed - only means you'll get someplace on the ship, maybe a better cabin-but not the location you wanted.  Waitlist, maybe you won't be going at all.  The only way I'd do a waitlist is if I couldn't get the suite I wanted, but I'd be happy with what booked if I didn't make the cut.

When I first saw this I was, like, is this a late April Fool's joke. But it  appears not. And you're all wrong. Sorry. I know this because we were 'guaranteed' when I saw an article about this. I begged my TA who said she really couldn't do anything but it wasn't long before we were confirmed. I will never accept that status again.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2023/11/30/royal-caribbean-passengers-denied-boarding/71749345007/

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, clo said:

@shepherd really Sincerely asking why you're laughing.

This is the Oceania board, what RCL does has no bearing on Oceania, Period. Please stop creating unnecessary confusion. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, clo said:

When I first saw this I was, like, is this a late April Fool's joke. But it  appears not. And you're all wrong. Sorry. I know this because we were 'guaranteed' when I saw an article about this. I begged my TA who said she really couldn't do anything but it wasn't long before we were confirmed. I will never accept that status again.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2023/11/30/royal-caribbean-passengers-denied-boarding/71749345007/

That was a one-off (I looked last November when it happened and couldn't find another case of folks being left on the dock).  Like an airline with an overbooked flight, cruise lines make better and better move up/down/over offers to balance butts and seats, err, beds -- except the cruise lines do it in the weeks before a cruise while folks are still at home instead of at the airport minutes before a flight.

For Quantum of the Seas last November, it appears that "somehow" RCI didn't run the totals and realize they needed to act, so folks -- some of the guarantees -- were left on the dock.

56 minutes ago, ORV said:

This is the Oceania board, what RCL does has no bearing on Oceania, Period. Please stop creating unnecessary confusion. 

It was human error/negligence; it could as easily been O.   ...except now that it's happened, ain't NOBODY going to fail that way again for a long while.  😲

16 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

; it could as easily been O

No, it's never happened with O. So let's not create issues where none have EVER existed. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

It was human error/negligence; it could as easily been O.   ...except now that it's happened, ain't NOBODY going to fail that way again for a long while.  😲

Thanks. It didn't seem particular to Oceania but rather that it can happen. And O hasn't been a saint lately and I read about the actions that all the lines are taking to reduce their debt. So I thought it was a general topic in a cruise line Board.

1 hour ago, ORV said:

No, it's never happened with O. So let's not create issues where none have EVER existed. 

But we shouldn't say never---it could happen-it just hasn't happen yet on "O".