Bring pool noodles on board?

Former swimmer, now avid shallow water exerciser.  Shallow, as opposed to deep, meaning about shoulder height water, so standing in about 4 to 4.5 feet of water.

Sailing on Discovery Princess - what I've learned from helpful posts here, is that there are no pools that contain that depth - not even if they're slope-bottomed.

But, in water over 4.5 feet, I can use a noodle threaded between my legs, and that way exercise in deep water.

Has anyone brought - or seen someone bring - a noodle to port and successfully get it on board?   I've done this on Oceania, but am not sure about Princess. 

14 minutes ago, greenbeanie said:

Former swimmer, now avid shallow water exerciser.  Shallow, as opposed to deep, meaning about shoulder height water, so standing in about 4 to 4.5 feet of water.

Sailing on Discovery Princess - what I've learned from helpful posts here, is that there are no pools that contain that depth - not even if they're slope-bottomed.

But, in water over 4.5 feet, I can use a noodle threaded between my legs, and that way exercise in deep water.

Has anyone brought - or seen someone bring - a noodle to port and successfully get it on board?   I've done this on Oceania, but am not sure about Princess. 

We are taking some inflatable pool noodles for the first time after suggestions on this board.  While we won’t use them in the pool but for snorkeling, I can’t see a problem in the pool.  The inflatable ones are easier to pack! 

• Like 1

While I couldn't find any information on the Princess site, I found some interesting information on generic sites that provide information on cruising including several articles with titles such as "Surprising Items That You Cannot Bring On A Cruise Ship" and most of those articles included pool noodles on that list. And Disney Cruise Lines lists pool noodles specifically as a prohibited item. So I wouldn't be too sure. Might want to use the Chat feature on the Princess website to confirm. (I suggest Chat because no matter if you call or chat, the person you connect with won't know the answer and might need to inquire up the chain.  When that happens, it is easier to be using Chat than being on hold on the phone.)  The other option might be: "Better to do and ask for forgiveness than ask and be denied permission."

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Check the prohibited items list. I believe they are not allowed in the pools.

While it says that the list is not exhaustive, pool noodles are not on the list of prohibited items.  Archery equipment and catapults are on the list (not making that up).  But pool noodles are not. 

https://www.princess.com/en-us/faq/pre-cruise#prohibited-items

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Thanks 2

Guest Snaxmuppet

I can't find any reference to pool noodles (or inflatables for that matter) in the Princess T&Cs. However, I fear that to allow them might be a slippery slope to anarchy on future cruises so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't allow them.

I can see a good reason not to allow inflatables... you can just see them getting caught by the wind and ending up overboard! Clearly that wouldn't happen with noodles... or would it... 🙃

I can't answer your question specifically about noodles but we've taken these to Princess Cays with no problems. They pack absolutely flat, only the ends inflate when you want to use it.  We use them with our own snorkel gear. Didn't try to use them in the ship pools as we generally avoid them (have a pool at home so there's little appeal on a ship for us). 

We also saw other people with their own gear on the tender to PC, so they must not outright ban all swim accessories.

Screenshot_20240403_102426_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240403_102345_Chrome.jpg

The Retreat pool on the Discovery is quite shallow and you would not need noodles to exercise.  The main pool on Lido deck is usually quite crowded and even if you were allowed to bring noodles onboard it would be difficult to avoid wacking others with them as you exercise.  As someone who does use noodles in my own pool I would have noticed if others were using them in our over 3 dozen Princess cruises.  I've never once seen anyone using them on the ships.

• Like 2

I've brought a pool noodle on multiple cruises and never had a problem. I never tried to use it in the pool, only in the ocean. I think it might be difficult to use it in the pool since they are usually so busy/full of people.

9 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

For port use, yes.

Pools onboard, no. 

Is this a common sense suggestion, or did you find a specific prohibition published by Princess somewhere?

From a common sense prospective, I could see why a cruise line would prohibit them (as DCL clearly has done.)  Pools are small and if lots of people used them, the pools would turn into noodle soup. 

• Haha 3

We've used inflatable noodles' on both the Regal and Royal and never had a problem. We never bother to ask anyone and unless someone complained, they're OK to use.

Just now, JimmyVWine said:

Is this a common sense suggestion, or did you find a specific prohibition published by Princess somewhere?

From a common sense prospective, I could see why a cruise line would prohibit them (as DCL clearly has done.)  Pools are small and if lots of people used them, the pools would turn into noodle soup. 

Saw a family this weekend had a couple in the pool area as they were setting up camp at loungers. Staff came over to chat with them. Noodles went back to the cabins. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

even if not listed they can stlll tell you no

The Ship Security Officer and Staff Captain are authorized to make a professional judgment as to the legality of any item, declared, detected or discovered.

51 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Yes, multiple people with them. This is the retreat pool

Interesting!  Is that a deeper pool? 

Hope you are enjoying your cruise! 

2 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I can't answer your question specifically about noodles but we've taken these to Princess Cays with no problems. They pack absolutely flat, only the ends inflate when you want to use it.  We use them with our own snorkel gear. Didn't try to use them in the ship pools as we generally avoid them (have a pool at home so there's little appeal on a ship for us). 

We also saw other people with their own gear on the tender to PC, so they must not outright ban all swim accessories.

Screenshot_20240403_102426_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240403_102345_Chrome.jpg

They are very common at Princess Cays. I don’t know that they’d be allowed in the pools on the ship though. 

3 hours ago, greenbeanie said:

Bringing it onboard is one question. Using it in the pool is another. They do have life jackets available at the pools if that would be an option for you.

• Like 1

I packed and used flat foam pool floats, about 18 inches long and 12 inches wide.  They were about two inches thick.  We used them in the pool, and at the beaches at the ports.  No one said a word, but they were not intrusive to other passengers.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

They are very common at Princess Cays. I don’t know that they’d be allowed in the pools on the ship though. 

They rent them at Princess Cays, but I can't imagine paying more to rent them for an afternoon than they cost to buy 🙂

6 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

They rent them at Princess Cays, but I can't imagine paying more to rent them for an afternoon than they cost to buy 🙂

I think it all comes down to packing. If you can check luggage at no charge, packing inflatable pool floats makes great sense. If you pay to check bags and/or try to travel with one carry-on it’s trickier.

We end up offering to bring a lot of things when we travel with the kids and grandkids. I’m more than willing to fill a suitcase with diapers and beach toys. 

3 hours ago, shakuyi said:

even if not listed they can stlll tell you no

The Ship Security Officer and Staff Captain are authorized to make a professional judgment as to the legality of any item, declared, detected or discovered.

I'll worry about my noodle just as soon as they enforce the no diaper rule and no drinks in the hot tubs and pools.

• Haha 1