Number of YC Cabins by Ship?

RichYak

We are generally Celebrity Retreat cruisers who just sailed in YC for the first time on Meraviglia. We are sold. YC appears to be a far better product in just about every way.

While onboard, we had a conversation with Arthur, the Maitre 'd, which has spurred this question. He mentioned in passing that he loved Meraviglia because of the size of the Yacht Club. His last contract was on a ship that I can't recall, but he said YC was too big and he didn't feel like he could do as effective a job.

As a Celebrity Retreat cruiser, this resonated with me. Their new Edge Class ships have nicer facilities, especially the Retreat Sundeck, but there's just too many Suite guests. The older ships have inferior facilities but fewer suite guests and it shows in service levels. It's very much a catch-22 choice and I think it's one of the things that set YC on Meraviglia apart from any Retreat experience I've had. I sacrificed nothing.

So finally, my question. Is there a list posted somewhere of how many YC cabins there are on each MSC ship? Or more generally if it's easier, are there ships where YC is less intimate because it's too big, like whatever ship Arthur was referring to? 

• Like 2

Best to check the MSC website as cruisedeckplans is not 100% with classifications. One item to point out is that the four Fantasia-class ships have the YC restaurant separate in the Aft Section of the ship. World-class, Seaview-class, and Meraviglia-class YC are self-contained in the Forward Section.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear you had such a positive experience @RichYak

@DJ's DH and I are taking our first MSC YC cruise next month on the Meraviglia after many years as a Celebrity Retreat cruiser. 

Are you going to post a review or do a compare/contrast?

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Cruisedeckplans can show you that.  Click on your ship and down the left side it shows each cabin type and how many.  EM

56 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Best to check the MSC website as cruisedeckplans is not 100% with classifications. One item to point out is that the four Fantasia-class ships have the YC restaurant separate in the Aft Section of the ship. World-class, Seaview-class, and Meraviglia-class YC are self-contained in the Forward Section.

Thanks, these are helpful comments. I couldn't find any YC cabin counts on MSC's website aside from pulling up deck plans and counting--which is what I'm hopeful to avoid.

57 minutes ago, DisneyJen said:

Are you going to post a review or do a compare/contrast?

I sort of did in real time, but on the Celebrity board, and in an existing thread with other comparisons. I'm happy to repackage my comments and post here as a standalone thread if people think it might be helpful.

Here's a link to that thread. My comparison begins on page 6. The link should take you straight to that page.

@RichYakSo happy to hear that you are "sold" on MSC YC.  I am too.  I also sailed Meraviglia (twice) so I have no experience with YC on other ships.  And Arthur was the Maitre'd on my last sailing. I have to say he is excellent at his job.  After sailing Celebrity Retreat for many, many cruises I am now continuing my MSC YC sailings.  MSC YC simply blows away Celebrity Retreat, in my opinion.

• Like 2

@RichYak it might be helpful for folks if you post it here as a stand alone post.

I hardly spend anytime on the Celebrity board anymore as I haven't been happy with the pricing and product this past year or so.

Thanks so mucg!

@jcpc Good to hear that you have had such a positive experience as well!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jcpc said:

@RichYakSo happy to hear that you are "sold" on MSC YC.  I am too.  I also sailed Meraviglia (twice) so I have no experience with YC on other ships.  And Arthur was the Maitre'd on my last sailing. I have to say he is excellent at his job.  After sailing Celebrity Retreat for many, many cruises I am now continuing my MSC YC sailings.  MSC YC simply blows away Celebrity Retreat, in my opinion.

Arthur is the best for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Thanks, these are helpful comments. I couldn't find any YC cabin counts on MSC's website aside from pulling up deck plans and counting--which is what I'm hopeful to avoid.

I sort of did in real time, but on the Celebrity board, and in an existing thread with other comparisons. I'm happy to repackage my comments and post here as a standalone thread if people think it might be helpful.

I am not sure if you only cruise in the USA or also travel in Europe. Speaking in generalities, the reason I mention checking MSC's site is that in the USA the vast majority of cruises are RT returning to the same port in Florida and NYC. For European cruises, a good majority use what I would call "bus stop" sailings. They are also RT but you can start at a variety of ports and then return to your embarkation port. Because of this they allocate a certain number of staterooms to each port. For example, the first time I sailed YC on MSC I wanted to embark from Civitavecchia. I didn't like the lack of suite offerings from there so I checked the same cruise for Genoa (the next port of call) which is only four hours by train further North. Much better stateroom selection so just rearranged my trip to embark there instead.

Regarding cruisedeckplans, they do not differentiate between MSC Yacht Club Deluxe Suite and MSC Yacht Club Deluxe Grand Suite which is slightly larger.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

For European cruises, a good majority use what I would call "bus stop" sailings. They are also RT but you can start at a variety of ports and then return to your embarkation port.

Thanks for your helpful post. I'm not sure how I feel about the "bus stop" sailings. There's certainly an advantage to embarking and disembarking at the port of your choice. But I can't get a real sense of how disruptive that might feel during the cruise.

5 hours ago, RichYak said:

So finally, my question. Is there a list posted somewhere of how many YC cabins there are on each MSC ship?

The ship's Technical Sheets list the number of YC cabins. 

Screenshot_20240407_151833_Drive.thumb.jpg.215c72e00585d6404dbae53669f98f77.jpg

https://www.mscbook.com/shop/TAPortalExternalView?catalogId=10001&langId=-1004&storeId=10757&taportalIframeKey=MENU_TECHNICAL_SHEETS&marketCode=USA

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

But I can't get a real sense of how disruptive that might feel during the cruise.

It isn't usually particularly noticeable, especially when the ports are all inside the Schengen zone, as there are practically no formalities around boarding or leaving the ship.

When we disembarked in Sicily our Butler took our bags all the way to the taxi.

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

It isn't usually particularly noticeable, especially when the ports are all inside the Schengen zone, as there are practically no formalities around boarding or leaving the ship.

When we disembarked in Sicily our Butler took our bags all the way to the taxi.

Someone mentioned that daily muster drill activity and announcements could get tiresome. 

17 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Someone mentioned that daily muster drill activity and announcements could get tiresome. 

It’s probably going to happen while you are off touring, you won’t even know it is happening.  EM

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

It’s probably going to happen while you are off touring, you won’t even know it is happening.  EM

Very true. I’m not going to Europe to stay on a cruise ship on a port day. Thanks EM!

With the suggestion by @Até to look at each ship's Technical Sheets, I'm able to answer my own question. I now know to exclude Seashore, Seascape and World-class ships from my searches for future YC sailings.

Name Class Year YC Cabins
Divina Fantasia 2012 69
Preziosa Fantasia 2013 69
Fantasia Fantasia 2008 71
Splendida Fantasia 2009 71
Seaside Seaside 2017 86
Seaview Seaside 2018 86
Meraviglia Mera 2017 95
Bellissima Mera 2019 95
Grandiosa Mera 2019 95
Virtuosa Mera 2021 103
Euribia Mera 2023 103
Seashore Seaside 2021 131
Seascape Seaside 2022 131
World Europa World 2022 152
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

21 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

For European cruises, a good majority use what I would call "bus stop" sailings. They are also RT but you can start at a variety of ports and then return to your embarkation port. Because of this they allocate a certain number of staterooms to each port. For example, the first time I sailed YC on MSC I wanted to embark from Civitavecchia. I didn't like the lack of suite offerings from there so I checked the same cruise for Genoa (the next port of call) which is only four hours by train further North. Much better stateroom selection so just rearranged my trip to embark there instead.

The cruises in the Lesser Antilles, Barbados/Point a Pitre/Fort d’France, are done the same as Europe. Barbados is far easier to get to from the US, but the YC suites for Barbados embarkation seem to be ‘reserved’ for UK package bookings. 

43 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

It's easier to separate the larger ships (Seaside EVO, Meraviglia Plus class) from the similar/smaller ships (Seaside/Meraviglia class).

I suppose, but being new to MSC, I'm just now learning the different ship classes and wasn't even aware, until your post, that there might be sub-classes of each.

44 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Also, Grandiosa is a Plus ship (103). 

You know, I got my numbers right off of Grandiosa's Technical Sheet. It didn't make much sense to me that the ship's total capacity was similar to Virtuosa's and Euribia's while the YC count was lower. Thanks for that.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, RichYak said:

You know, I got my numbers right off of Grandiosa's Technical Sheet. It didn't make much sense to me that the ship's total capacity was similar to Virtuosa's and Euribia's while the YC count was lower. Thanks for that.

It looks like we've stumbled onto something...

The link that you have (Grandiosa's Technical Sheet) is different from the link that I have (MSC Grandiosa

Page 5 on one sheet has "95 SUITES WITH BUTLER SERVICE" vs. page 7 on the other sheet which has "103 SUITES WITH BUTLER SERVICE". 

The earlier sheet doesn't count the Duplex Suites on decks 9 & 12 which were originally Aurea on Meraviglia but were later upgraded to Yacht Club suites. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only

56 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

It looks like we've stumbled onto something...

The link that you have (Grandiosa's Technical Sheet) is different from the link that I have (MSC Grandiosa

Page 5 on one sheet has "95 SUITES WITH BUTLER SERVICE" vs. page 7 on the other sheet which has "103 SUITES WITH BUTLER SERVICE". 

Interesting, thanks.

56 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The earlier sheet doesn't count the Duplex Suites on decks 9 & 12 which were originally Aurea on Meraviglia but were later upgraded to Yacht Club suites. 

So does that mean that the Meraviglia YC cabin count is actually higher than 95 as well?