How to fix a Mini Suite sofa

Yehootu

Posted (edited)

On our last cruise on the Regal, our mini suite sofa had broken welds on the frame that holds the cushions up. Our room steward attempted to fix it using zipties to hold the frame up. Now on the Majestic and at least one of the cushions had a bad sag in it. I lifted the cushions and found the welds broken. I used one of the throw pillows at first to prop that one up. I'm 210lbs and soon, I felt another weld break. We are in this room for 40 days and one of the reasons we get the mini is for the sofa. After a few beers, I came up with a solution. Sofa now is level and cushions stay where they should. It only took 24 pool towels, hope there is enough left for the folks at the pool.

Sofa Fix.pngI

Edited by Yehootu
  • Like 2
  • Haha 16

Applaud your, in your own words, "After a few beers," solution.

I am concerned for passengers who follow you, leaving sharp edges where the metal broke. For safety, have the sofa sent out to be rewelded and edges ground down.  They must have crew onboard who know how to weld. Could have it back in your cabin the same day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yehootu said:

On our last cruise on the Regal, our mini suite sofa had broken welds on the frame that holds the cushions up. Our room steward attempted to fix it using zipties to hold the frame up. Now on the Majestic and at least one of the cushions had a bad sag in it. I lifted the cushions and found the welds broken. I used one of the throw pillows at first to prop that one up. I'm 210lbs and soon, I felt another weld break. We are in this room for 40 days and one of the reasons we get the mini is for the sofa. After a few beers, I came up with a solution. Sofa now is level and cushions stay where they should. It only took 24 pool towels, hope there is enough left for the folks at the pool.

Sofa Fix.pngI

Wow.  Sounds like something my Engineer DH would do.  He’s always trying to fix things. 🥴

It is a shame you had to spend your vacation time on this.  Clever though!

They need to replace those worn out sofas.

Have a great cruise now.

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

Applaud your, in your own words, "After a few beers," solution.

I am concerned for passengers who follow you, leaving sharp edges where the metal broke. For safety, have the sofa sent out to be rewelded and edges ground down.  They must have crew onboard who know how to weld. Could have it back in your cabin the same day.

Didn't work on the Regal when I asked about welding it properly. Doubt it got welded between cruises. The sofa already had broken welds, so this isn't something new. The welds are small tack welds and don't have sharp edges.

On the Island Princess last September, my mattress had a trench down the middle of it from many years of use. My room steward hunted for another one, but said they were all equally bad. At my request, he gave me a stack of bath towels which I used to fill the sag from underneath the mattress. It helped, but towels don't provide the cushioning of a good mattress.

Princess needs to buy new beds! Adding a pillowtop pad to a worn-out mattress is simply a half-measure.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Teechur said:

On the Island Princess last September, my mattress had a trench down the middle of it from many years of use. My room steward hunted for another one, but said they were all equally bad. At my request, he gave me a stack of bath towels which I used to fill the sag from underneath the mattress. It helped, but towels don't provide the cushioning of a good mattress.

Princess needs to buy new beds! Adding a pillowtop pad to a worn-out mattress is simply a half-measure.

It must be hit or miss because we were on the Island last September/October and our bed was amazing!  We had the best sleep ever on a cruise.  Meanwhile on our January Regal cruise the bed was awful with horrible sagging areas.  

To the OP -- I applaud your ingenuity and am sorry you had to resort to this solution.  

17 minutes ago, Teechur said:

The bed we had last year on the Crown was the worst I've ever had. Should've tried the towels. I ended up putting room service trays under the mattress to try and get some support.

On 4/8/2024 at 2:23 AM, bstrauss3 said:

Temu sells a small hand-held welder... pack it for next time.

Packing list:

magnetic hooks

over the door shoe storage,

packing cubes,

pop up laundry basket

weights for shower curtains to stop me wearing the curtain as a dress when it sticks to me in the shower

duct tape

WD40

handheld welder 😏 

im cruising & I’m ready for ANYTHING 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Princess has the worst room accommodations at sea. No comfortable seating in any stateroom lower than a deluxe balcony. Your clothing has more room and better traveling conditions than a passenger. If I paid what they are charging for a mini suit and had to Macgyver the the sofa before it was usable that would be my last trip on Princess. All of the other main stream lines have managed to add a love seat and a larger shower to all staterooms why can't Princess?  How many had to go without beach towels because they were being used for lumbar support? This is disgraceful. 

8 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

All of the other main stream lines have managed to add a love seat and a larger shower to all staterooms why can't Princess?

They have done that now with Sun Princess, just took them 20 years longer than all the other lines.

• Haha 2