If Bev Package or Dining Package Price Drops...

Am I able to call and get the difference? Sorry, I feel like I should know the answer to this and, for whatever reason, I am struggling to come up with the correct search terms to find the answer. Excited because we booked our first Symphony of the Seas cruise, but it is a ways out so trying to figure out if we're okay investing now and getting the deal later.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, CBVest said:

Am I able to call and get the difference? Sorry, I feel like I should know the answer to this and, for whatever reason, I am struggling to come up with the correct search terms to find the answer. Excited because we booked our first Symphony of the Seas cruise, but it is a ways out so trying to figure out if we're okay investing now and getting the deal later.

If you see a lower price you just cancel and repurchase. It can be done several times. You do it through the cruise planner.

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

If you see a lower price you just cancel and repurchase. It can be done several times. You do it through the cruise planner.

is there a time frame where you are "not allowed" to do this anymore? and do you use a Travel agent for this or you do it yourself? any request of a good travel agent you use? i see you reply alot on here.

6 hours ago, x7yhx said:

is there a time frame where you are "not allowed" to do this anymore?

Welcome to CC.

The online planner where you make the purchases (or cancel and re-buy) usually closes about two days before the sailing. You can do this yourself.

No TA talk is allowed on CC.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

We agree!

My only suggestion would be to purchase the at the lower price and then cancel the old one.  I have seen people who cancelled the old one (at a decent price) and then went to buy at the lower price and then got the dreaded "no longer available" and it was now even higher than the original purchase.  Not surprisingly, when they called RCI there was nothing RCI could do because the system was only showing the newest "higher" price.  Of course, with the constant sales (hoping the diamond/diamond+ 35% off deluxe comes back) you could probably just wait a couple of days and the sale will be back.

• Thanks 1

If you find something in the cruise planner at a price you're willing to pay, purchase it. You can always cancel if you change your mind later (check the small-print for the latest time to cancel). The prices can go up or down, sometimes more than once per day.

For my upcoming cruise this summer, I've been checking the cruise planner nearly every day and have already cancelled and re-booked items saving quite a bit over the original price. On every RCL/Celebrity cruise I've taken, I've saved quite a bit by doing this.

You have to be thoughtful with doing this with items that have limited availability like shore excursions. There's always the risk that you could cancel an excursion that has limited spots and have them swooped up by someone else before you repurchase, but, I've not ever had that happen. For beverage and dining packages, I doubt there is any risk of this.

• Thanks 1

I apologize for the delay in saying "thanks" but thank you all for the quick and thorough responses. We really appreciate it!

Also, I loved the tip that about buying it first at a lower price and then cancelling because I could totally see that happening!

38 minutes ago, CBVest said:

I apologize for the delay in saying "thanks" but thank you all for the quick and thorough responses. We really appreciate it!

Also, I loved the tip that about buying it first at a lower price and then cancelling because I could totally see that happening!

As an FYI there are some things that cannot be handled this way.  The beverage package is an example, once you buy for a person you can't buy another so would need to cancel first.  Not sure about dining but would assume would be the same for some of the packages.

2 hours ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

My only suggestion would be to purchase the at the lower price and then cancel the old one.  I have seen people who cancelled the old one (at a decent price) and then went to buy at the lower price and then got the dreaded "no longer available" and it was now even higher than the original purchase.  Not surprisingly, when they called RCI there was nothing RCI could do because the system was only showing the newest "higher" price.  Of course, with the constant sales (hoping the diamond/diamond+ 35% off deluxe comes back) you could probably just wait a couple of days and the sale will be back.

You can’t follow your suggestion for drink packages and dining packages. You have to cancel the package you previously purchased before it will allow you to purchase the package again at the lower price.

Not to confuse things, but I will just relate a recent experience.  I purchased a number of CP items for the cruise that I am currently ion (EX 4-5-24) - a 3 night dining package, a boarding day specialty restaurant and a couple of port excursions - and when I later checked the reservations in my "Order History", I found a ribbon at the bottom of every one of those purchases that said something like, "Nonrefundable, cannot make changes to this purchase".  This was well before any deadline date.  I had no need to make any changes so I don't know if the ribbon was an error, a hint at things to come or if those purchases were truly non-refundable.  

I have always known Cruise Planner purchases (in the US) to be fully refundable but I have a very bad feeling that Royal MAY be in the process of changing the ability to refund previously-purchased items.  This is SPECULATION....not fact.  But those purchases did, in fact, show that they were non-refundable.  Whether they actually were or not is unknown since I never had any need to make a change to any of them.

1 hour ago, CBVest said:

Same goes for your cruise price. If you find your cabin category on sale at a lower price your TA can get the new price if you are before final payment date.  We have had as many as 4 reprices for a single cruise.