The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday April 12th,

kazu

I’m toast. We got up early for us, drove through rain and traffic to hospital, met with my brother… still surreal, remember I’ve seen him once (February) in 22 yrs. After 30 mins he left hospital to go home, get ready for his daughter, my niece, to fetch him for meeting with funeral home folks to start the ball rolling. 

DH did fabulous driving through the traffic and the rain! It’s just a lot to absorb that he can still see!  Next eye surgery will happen no matter when my brother’s wife passes. 

So we thought we’d stay for a bit, have a chance to just sit quietly with SIL.  She’s in a private room in the hospital but under hospice care. But that’s not quite what happened…. We fielded med staff pop-ins, phone calls, texts and I visited with my SIL’s niece (daughter of SIL’s sister) for two hours. I’d never met her, maybe as a baby just before I moved from NY/NJ to NM at age 23!  Fascinating visit, filled in some gaps in my family knowledge base. 

My niece texted, asked if we could stay at the hospital until she could get there after the funeral home and returning her dad back home. Of course we would. 

Spending time with a dying family member is a privilege.  She was peaceful, sleeping.  She’s on comfort meds which seem to take the edge off…. Cancer took hold of her more easily than most people I believe because of her pre-existing conditions. 

We walk alongside as loved ones follow their path. We show up with love and support. And flowers and snacks. And tissues. And wait with them. There’s a lot more I could say now but I feel like I’ve used more words today in person and phone calls and texts than an encyclopedia. 

It rained only a little on the way home. We left at 4:30 and like a parting of the Red Sea the traffic was manageable. 

I had little appetite but enjoyed curried Red Lentils Dahl. Different for me. But it’s been an unusual day. 

Sorry Terri for losing Anita, glad you found out. 
Sorry Karen on another loss!  Hugs!  

Sorry all, the rest of today’s Daily is a blur. Fantastic animal sightings, what a joy to experience!  

Thank you all for your support. On days like today I feel carried and strengthened by loving care from near and far!  Blessings to you all. 
Maureen 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good evening.  I had my appointment this afternoon at the ENT.  Unfortunately I had to wait and wait and wait.  I was about ready to tell them I was done, and head home.  He finally came in and began the procedure.  The permission form called it an upper respiratory endoscopy this visit, last time it was called a laryngoscopy but it was exactly the same.  They numb your nasal passages and pass a tiny tube with camera through the nostrils into the throat down to the vocal cords.  Everything still looks just fine.  He said he could refer me to a pulmonologist.  I told him I'd think about it and let them know later in the summer.  Maybe I'll just live with the persistent cough.  It's not like I cough all day long however it is annoying.

Welcome to the Daily @LambKnuckles .  Hope you hang around!  We're pretty harmless. 😁

Sorry about the bad news today Terri @Cruzin Terri.  Prayers for those who knew and loved her. 🙏 Will you be able to go to the funeral?

Sandi, I have had a persistent cough since before COVID. I had a terrible cold one November that settled in my chest and I started coughing after that. Most annoying as you know and it was especially so during COVID. I had endoscopys, VQlung scans, X-rays, breathing tests with a pulmonologist, allergy testing, and probably something else over the years. No one had an idea, or rather there were several ideas none of them the reason, like post nasal drip. Every doctor wanted to change my high blood pressure meds but I resisted since I was pretty sure they were not the cause. The allergist came the closest - he suspected my GERD was the culprit. So I did a couple of things. I stopped drinking, especially wine. I watch what I eat so I don’t trigger my GERD and I stopped drinking club soda and tonic water. I had suspected that one of the components in the Soda was triggering my cough. I also gargled with salt water each evening for two weeks.   I am happy to report that after almost 5 years I am coughing no more than a normal person. Sorry for the long post but maybe something in this ramble can help you. I know how frustrating it is to be coughing all the time. And I have been able to have the occasional glass of wine in the last couple of weeks without triggering a cough. 

everyone else, please  forgive the detailed post! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

Waking up to another glass like Indian Ocean.

Just a heads up. We have had several folks have to stop the cruise as their passport stamp pages were full. Sounds ridiculous but it has happened.

Make sure you have enough free pages for the beauracratic immigration folks. When renewing passports you can request extra pages.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

42 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

We walk alongside as loved ones follow their path. We show up with love and support. And flowers and snacks. And tissues. And wait with them. There’s a lot more I could say now but I feel like I’ve used more words today in person and phone calls and texts than an encyclopedia. 

🌺Mahalo,

Well said. This brought tears to my eyes remembering my past with my mother! 
You are a remarkable woman and such a great soul! God bless you.

🌺Denise

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good evening my friends.

I will make this short.  

While yesterday was a happy day for us in that we received good news from Jim’s neurologist, today we received very sad news.

My friend Anita, who had her kidney removed on March 11, passed away on March 27.  Her funeral is Tuesday, April 16.   I only found out about it today.  It makes me so sad.  I never found out what hospital she was in or was able to get in touch with anyone who knew anything.  Her obituary was in the newspaper today.

Please keep her in your prayers.

Thanks 
Terri

I'm sorry to hear about your friend Anita Terri.

Prayers and condolences to you,and her family.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, bennybear said:

You gave me some giggles!  Missed the fibre coke, lol!  Our first visit was the late the first evening extremely jet lagged.  I bought what I thought were chicken skewers. They unfortunately turned out to be chicken skin skewers😱.  But I loved the peach coke and Katsu sandwiches and hot milk tea! 

welcome @LambKnuckles  ok. I need to know about your name….

@kazu these updates will be the death of me.  Arggh! 

@luvteaching condolences on the loss of your DSIL

@Cruzin Terri my condolences on the loss of your friend!

@seagarsmoker so glad it’s all going well! 

@grapau27 does this mean you are finally going to try HAL?  

IMG_1328.jpeg

Our last 5 cruises and our next 5 booked cruises are on P&O from Southampton England.

If HAL sailed from Southampton I would be one of the first to book.

Dover is not an option for us.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good evening.  I had my appointment this afternoon at the ENT.  Unfortunately I had to wait and wait and wait.  I was about ready to tell them I was done, and head home.  He finally came in and began the procedure.  The permission form called it an upper respiratory endoscopy this visit, last time it was called a laryngoscopy but it was exactly the same.  They numb your nasal passages and pass a tiny tube with camera through the nostrils into the throat down to the vocal cords.  Everything still looks just fine.  He said he could refer me to a pulmonologist.  I told him I'd think about it and let them know later in the summer.  Maybe I'll just live with the persistent cough.  It's not like I cough all day long however it is annoying.

Welcome to the Daily @LambKnuckles .  Hope you hang around!  We're pretty harmless. 😁

Sorry about the bad news today Terri @Cruzin Terri.  Prayers for those who knew and loved her. 🙏 Will you be able to go to the funeral?

I'm pleased you got the all clear Sandi.

I wonder if there is something you are allergic to which is causing you to cough.

I hear lots of cruisers complaining about cruising cough caused by air conditioning in their cabins.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

I’m toast. We got up early for us, drove through rain and traffic to hospital, met with my brother… still surreal, remember I’ve seen him once (February) in 22 yrs. After 30 mins he left hospital to go home, get ready for his daughter, my niece, to fetch him for meeting with funeral home folks to start the ball rolling. 

DH did fabulous driving through the traffic and the rain! It’s just a lot to absorb that he can still see!  Next eye surgery will happen no matter when my brother’s wife passes. 

So we thought we’d stay for a bit, have a chance to just sit quietly with SIL.  She’s in a private room in the hospital but under hospice care. But that’s not quite what happened…. We fielded med staff pop-ins, phone calls, texts and I visited with my SIL’s niece (daughter of SIL’s sister) for two hours. I’d never met her, maybe as a baby just before I moved from NY/NJ to NM at age 23!  Fascinating visit, filled in some gaps in my family knowledge base. 

My niece texted, asked if we could stay at the hospital until she could get there after the funeral home and returning her dad back home. Of course we would. 

Spending time with a dying family member is a privilege.  She was peaceful, sleeping.  She’s on comfort meds which seem to take the edge off…. Cancer took hold of her more easily than most people I believe because of her pre-existing conditions. 

It rained only a little on the way home. We left at 4:30 and like a parting of the Red Sea the traffic was manageable. 

I had little appetite but enjoyed curried Red Lentils Dahl. Different for me. But it’s been an unusual day. 

Sorry Terri for losing Anita, glad you found out. 
Sorry Karen on another loss!  Hugs!  

Sorry all, the rest of today’s Daily is a blur. Fantastic animal sightings, what a joy to experience!  

Thank you all for your support. On days like today I feel carried and strengthened by loving care from near and far!  Blessings to you all. 
Maureen 

Maureen, i know it was a trying and emotional day, but you were where you needed to be to help your family.  You gave them peace of mind knowing your DSIL was not alone while they faced the difficult task of making the final arrangements for her.  I'm glad your DH was able to drive now that his sight is better, and I'm sending positive thoughts that his next surgery will be equally successful.

7 hours ago, superoma said:

Sandi, I have had a persistent cough since before COVID. I had a terrible cold one November that settled in my chest and I started coughing after that. Most annoying as you know and it was especially so during COVID. I had endoscopys, VQlung scans, X-rays, breathing tests with a pulmonologist, allergy testing, and probably something else over the years. No one had an idea, or rather there were several ideas none of them the reason, like post nasal drip. Every doctor wanted to change my high blood pressure meds but I resisted since I was pretty sure they were not the cause. The allergist came the closest - he suspected my GERD was the culprit. So I did a couple of things. I stopped drinking, especially wine. I watch what I eat so I don’t trigger my GERD and I stopped drinking club soda and tonic water. I had suspected that one of the components in the Soda was triggering my cough. I also gargled with salt water each evening for two weeks.   I am happy to report that after almost 5 years I am coughing no more than a normal person. Sorry for the long post but maybe something in this ramble can help you. I know how frustrating it is to be coughing all the time. And I have been able to have the occasional glass of wine in the last couple of weeks without triggering a cough. 

everyone else, please  forgive the detailed post! 

Eva, there is nothing to forgive.  That's the great thing about the Daily.  We can share our experiences and hopefully help others with a similar problem.  I'm happy you were able to figure out a way to sto0 your persistent cough.

6 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Waking up to another glass like Indian Ocean.

Just a heads up. We have had several folks have to stop the cruise as their passport stamp pages were full. Sounds ridiculous but it has happened.

Make sure you have enough free pages for the beauracratic immigration folks. When renewing passports you can request extra pages.

Thanks for the advice, Bruce.  We've had the extra pages added to our passports for quite sometime.  For many years, you could send your passport in to have pages added, but now they must be added when the passport is renewed.

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LambKnuckles said:

I'm a newbie,  and lurker...

But these Indian dishes look lovely and delicious.   Thank you! 

I'll learn protocol and how this all works as I continue lurking...

Welcome to the Daily 🙂. No need to lurk any longer - please post again and join us 🙂 

11 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@kazu Thanks for the information. I'll have check if there is a new update for my iPad (it's upstairs), but I think it's up to date. I'll try the trick of selecting the last word first tomorrow. I had been thinking of getting a laptop, and got one, and have been using that to post the Cares List. No issue using windows, it's just that Apple messed something up. I used the iPad all the time before.

It worked for me this morning on both the Fleet Report & BV thread.  I hope it does for you, too.  I’m with you on the Ipad.  What I got only for cruising is my go to very day.  the only thing I use my laptop for is the spread sheets now for certain things.

11 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

My friend Anita, who had her kidney removed on March 11, passed away on March 27.  Her funeral is Tuesday, April 16.   I only found out about it today.  It makes me so sad.  I never found out what hospital she was in or was able to get in touch with anyone who knew anything.  Her obituary was in the newspaper today.

Please keep her in your prayers.

Thanks 
Terri

Oh Terri - I am so very sorry to hear about your friend, Anita and sadder that you discovered from the obituary. 😞. She is in my prayers as are you as you suffer the loss of a dear friend 🙏 

10 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

He said he could refer me to a pulmonologist.  I told him I'd think about it and let them know later in the summer.  Maybe I'll just live with the persistent cough.  It's not like I cough all day long however it is annoying.

Go for the referral Sandi.  It can’t hurt to take that one extra step and may solve the problem.  I hope you can be helped 🤞 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1