Japan cruise HAL vs Princess opinions

We are trying to make a decision for a cruise in 2025 to Japan. We have sailed HAL a fair amount and are happy with the overall experience. We are booked next month to visit Norway on the Rotterdam in an aft Neptune suite which we’ve experienced before on other HAL ships and loved the suite and location.

I found a decent deal on Princess Diamond for their Grand Suite B750 for a 10 day itinerary from Yokohama with ports Toba, Kobe, Kochi, Beppu, Busan, Nagasaki and Shimizu. The suite looks incredible and probably compares close to a Pinnacle Suite on HAL.

For about the same price, I can book a 15 day voyage on HAL’s Westerdam in a Neptune Suite. Ports include Omaezaki, Kobe, Kochi, Fukuoka, Sokcho, Kanazawa, Sakata, Otaru, Aomori, Hakodate and Miyako. So this would provide 4 more ports compared to the Princess itinerary.

We are trying to determine which experience would be best for us. Better cabin on Princess vs a longer cruise on HAL. I’m sure we’d love both and being our first time to Japan, we want to make the most of this trip. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Posted (edited)

I would check land options too.  We have been considering that cruise for a while and once there I am going to stay a while. Princess does offer land and sea combinations for Japan. 

overall I like HAL better, in general - more ports, longer periods in port

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

You can never really go wrong with anything in Japan. I’ve only travelled there on a land trip, not a cruise, but I would pick the longer itinerary. You are flying all the way so I’d make the most of it. The cabin is less important IMO and after all it’s still a suite either way. 

We honeymooned in Japan and we included a stop in Otaru. It’s such a lovely place as is all of Hokkaido. The Princess cruise skips that part of Japan entirely so that alone would make me pick HAL. I was there in October as well and it’s similar to New England in the autumn. Can easily be between 50s to low 70s. Hokkaido averages on the cooler end of that and Tokyo area on the warmer end. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cobalt206 said:

We are traveling in October 2025. I think the temperatures will be mild, perhaps cool up north.

30 minutes ago, cobalt206 said:

We are traveling in October 2025. I think the temperatures will be mild, perhaps cool up north.

Temperature wise Princess cruise will be warmer as the cruise does not visit Hokkaido.

I would opt for the longer trip and probably add on a land trip to catch the Autumn colours.

Neither cruise spends much time in Kyoto but that city can be very congested.

Enjoy whatever you decide.

I would agree to go with the longer cruise, you will see much more of Japan.    Kanazawa allows you to see the magnificent gardens and/ Or the amazing Shirakawa- go thatched villages.    Northern Japan was stunning.  Hakkodate in the fall would be spectacular.  
Also strongly recommend you stay a little longer prior and or after the cruise.   Kyoto is worthy of several days as is  Tokyo.   You really don’t need a tour, the trains are excellent and most in the hotels speak English very well.  Enjoy this fabulous destination!  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, cobalt206 said:

That looks great Ken but we spend winters in Palm Desert and we like to arrive the first part of November. Thank you for the suggestion.

Understand. For us in our case the longer the cruise between the two 14-hour flights between Dallas and Tokyo the better, especially when there is 10-hour time difference as well triggering some serious jet lag in each direction. But then we’re in our early 70s, so what can I say. 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cobalt206 said:

That looks great Ken but we spend winters in Palm Desert and we like to arrive the first part of November. Thank you for the suggestion.

One other thing to be mindful of is cyclone season.  Late October or early November is best,  and also for the fall colours.

love Palm desert too!

We would also go with the longer cruise, even though we were not happy with our 42 days on the Westy (mostly in Japan).  We would also suggest extending your trip to enjoy at least a week in Japan. No reason to do that with a cruise package.  One can spend time in Japan on your own and use the excellent train system to move around.  We enjoyed 5 days in Tokyo and 6 days in Kyoto… pre cruise.

Hank

• Like 1

Hank, What didn’t you like about your time on Westerdam? I think we would like to do our own land tours prior to embarking on the cruise. Appreciate your input!