What if I have Premier but all the speciality restaurants are full?

Now that there are 2 speciality dining meals included in the Premier cruise fare I am finding that getting bookings before the cruise is turning out to be impossible.

It got me thinking what would happen if I had a Premier cruise fare and I couldn't get a booking in a speciality restaurant at any point on the cruise? 

Surely I should be entitled to some compensation for not getting what I paid for?

Has this happened to anyone yet?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FancyPants21 said:

Now that there are 2 speciality dining meals included in the Premier cruise fare I am finding that getting bookings before the cruise is turning out to be impossible.

It got me thinking what would happen if I had a Premier cruise fare and I couldn't get a booking in a speciality restaurant at any point on the cruise? 

Surely I should be entitled to some compensation for not getting what I paid for?

Usually.  Relax and see them right after as you board.  Pretty simple with X number of seats to sell and you added lots of people looking to book already pretty full restaurants. 

Compensation?  You are not on board.  Our last cruise was told all full pre cruise.  Ate in specialty 4 nights.  2 of the times not perfect.  Others demanded reservations.  I simply asked politely and said I was flexible and got multiple reservations every cruise.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FancyPants21 said:

No you're not entitled to any compensation.

If you don't go to an exercise class you're not compensated for that.  If you don't eat multiple times at a casual venue, you're not compensated.. and so forth.  

Yes, I've not been able to use both specialty dinners due to full venues, it didn't even cross my mind to demand compensation for such.  I used all sorts of the other things - and that's a risk you take, particularly buying aboard..  Maybe the venues will be full, maybe You're physically challenged and can't use the exercise classes - should you be compensated for that? 

SMH.  No, there's no refund for unused portions. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

If you don't go to an exercise class you're not compensated for that.  If you don't eat multiple times at a casual venue, you're not compensated.. and so forth.  

Yes, I've not been able to use both specialty dinners due to full venues, it didn't even cross my mind to demand compensation for such.  I used all sorts of the other things - and that's a risk you take, particularly buying aboard..  Maybe the venues will be full, maybe You're physically challenged and can't use the exercise classes - should you be compensated for that? 

The difference is that with the items you mention not using them is my choice... it is a case of use it or lose it and that is fair enough. But if the speciality restaurants are full that is not my choice... it is the fault of Princess... charging me for something that I was not able to get.

Edited by FancyPants21
  • Like 23

4 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

totally disagree, sorry ...  IF I make a pre-cruise attempt to book specialty dining with the Premier Package (which we have in October) and not able to ... then try to book onboard, and can't for "any restaurant at any time, please try to do a walk-up and see if anyone has cancelled"  you better believe I will seek the compensation for being denied, as it was a main reason from booking Premier over PLUS.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, reedprincess said:

Are you going to demand a refund for a reserved seat if they're full or released before you arrive?  And what, exactly, is the value there?

Demand a refund for any unused exercise classes, if you're physically unable to use them?

Demand a refund of premium desserts if you're diabetic? 

What if you want to eat at Sabatini's, but soa e is only available at Crown? Do you demand a refund then? 

Seriously? SMH.. 

Good luck. They don't owe you a refund if a venue is booked up. Particularly given the savings over buying everything separately..

It's extremely rare for a specialty restaurant to be completely booked out. Of course, it's a risk, but it's rare. 

if you're attempting reservations for October and not getting through - are you sailing Sun? Those reservations aren't even open yet. And there's 7 specialty restaurants, you'll have options, when they open..

Anyways, let us know, lol..

I don't "demand" - I'm not irrational.

"any"

j/s

8 minutes ago, voljeep said:

totally disagree, sorry ...  IF I make a pre-cruise attempt to book specialty dining with the Premier Package (which we have in October) and not able to ... then try to book onboard, and can't for "any restaurant at any time, please try to do a walk-up and see if anyone has cancelled"  you better believe I will seek the compensation for being denied, as it was a main reason from booking Premier over PLUS.

+1.  Unlike other "perks" included in the Premier package these have fairly significant values on them.  It hasn't happened to us yet but if I wasn't able to use the two specialty dinners because the venues were full I would definitely ask for a refund.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Are you going to demand a refund for a reserved seat if they're full or released before you arrive?  And what, exactly, is the value there?

Demand a refund for any unused exercise classes, if you're physically unable to use them?

Demand a refund of premium desserts if you're diabetic? 

What if you want to eat at Sabatini's, but soa e is only available at Crown? Do you demand a refund then? 

Seriously? SMH.. 

Good luck. They don't owe you a refund if a venue is booked up. Particularly given the savings over buying everything separately..

It's extremely rare for a specialty restaurant to be completely booked out. Of course, it's a risk, but it's rare. 

if you're attempting reservations for October and not getting through - are you sailing Sun? Those reservations aren't even open yet. And there's 7 specialty restaurants, you'll have options, when they open..

Anyways, let us know, lol..

If you are diabetic then you know in advance of purchase that you cannot have them so again... your choice.

I think it would be difficult to justify compensation if the restaurant of your choice is not available but another is as the T&Cs don't specify that it is a specialty meal in a restaurant of your choice.

I may have options when they open but I an asking about what if there is not option.

I say that if they say it is included then we should be able to get it of get compensation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They will get you in.  The question will be when?  We received a late credit for Sabatini's from our TA (I know, not quite the same).  We were in a suite too (that helped).  We spoke to the Assistant Manager about a reservation.  He could "fit us in at x time on the last night.  It was not our preferred day or time, but we were served.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The one time I had premier fare, I was worried about being able to get a reservation.  However, when I got to my room, there was a note indicating when my dining was. I was given one reservation at the Crown Grill and one at Sabatini's. 

However, that was 18 months ago and it was a 4 day cruise. So I do not know if it is still done this way.

• Like 1

FYI - in case you were unclear, there's no refunds for unused specialty or casual dining. 

"What if I don’t use the specialty dining or casual dining meals included in my package?

The specialty dining credits are available only for your current voyage, are non-refundable if not used and cannot be redeemed for cash" .

https://www.princess.com/en-us/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages

Good luck demanding some type of refund..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Am seeing a lot of unhappy people about not being able to book pre cruise.  Can again share only one fact - a significant number of seatings are not released until boarding day.  Thus asking nicely and being flexible as to times will likely solve your mental anxiety.   Talking about demanding a refund will probably be less successful per the cruise contract. 

Whether for the exercise classes that my DW was told were always full of wanting the brownie dessert and Princess being out of brownies day after day; we sadly live in a World where more and more people are polarized in their working together and feeling entitlement.

If you booked Premier primarily to receive 2 specialty restaurants, possibly canceling that now would result in less stress

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

FYI - in case you were unclear, there's no refunds for unused specialty or casual dining. 

"What if I don’t use the specialty dining or casual dining meals included in my package?

The specialty dining credits are available only for your current voyage, are non-refundable if not used and cannot be redeemed for cash" .

https://www.princess.com/en-us/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages

I want to book the Catch at 6:30 on Tuesday night if the ship's not 'rockin ... what???

May I ask what problems you’re having pre-booking a specialty restaurant?  I had issues when I first tried it, too, but I figured out how to do it and without being charged to my credit card.  Maybe I could help?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

May I ask what problems you’re having pre-booking a specialty restaurant?  I had issues when I first tried it, too, but I figured out how to do it and without being charged to my credit card.  Maybe I could help?

none ... yet 😉   I was just responding to the OP and others about... well - I had a real life I was there not maybe about trying to book specialty dining once onboard with OBC and it couldn't happen ... I, err she, could still spend the OBC ... could she spend the un "AVAILABLE" dining credits???

I have never had an issue booking once on board by calling the dine line especially for dining after 7::30. We ate in Sabatini’s Sunday night at 7:40 and the restaurant was only maybe 2/3 full

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

They definitely hold back seats in the specialty restaurants for booking once aboard.

If you were to find yourself in a position where you had restaurant credits, and if there were truly no reservations available, enquire at the passenger services desk, and I’m sure they would be willing to assist in finding you a reservation (possibly not your preferred location or time), and if there was truly nothing available I suspect that they would give you OBC for the restaurant fee. (I think it would be unlikely that there was truly nothing available)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, grnstone317 said:

The one time I had premier fare, I was worried about being able to get a reservation.  However, when I got to my room, there was a note indicating when my dining was. I was given one reservation at the Crown Grill and one at Sabatini's. 

However, that was 18 months ago and it was a 4 day cruise. So I do not know if it is still done this way.

Certainly it is in the T&Cs that they can allocate the restaurant and time. I don't have a problem with that as it is stipulated prior to me booking.

1 hour ago, reedprincess said:

Failure to use is very different than being denied use of a specialty restaurant which is what the OP was asking about.  You can't just say I'm not going to use this or that and get a refund as everything listed is part of a package.  But if Princess promises 2 specialty dinners and wasn't able to fulfill that I would definitely be at GS asking for a refund.  Now fulfilling it may mean that you get a reservation at 9 PM at a restaurant that isn't to your liking, that's the breaks.  But no room at any specialty restaurant for you would warrant OBC.  Up to you if you don't want to go down that path if it happens to you.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChynaS said:

I'm hoping to book the Catch onboard Sky.  On holiday so I have no problem with day or time.

Me too 🙂

It will be my first cruise since they introduced Catch on Sky.

I sail in 10 days so I suppose I'll find out 🙂

Thanks for everyone's input/comments 😄 

• Like 1

Just now, FancyPants21 said:

Me too 🙂

My 1st cruise on Princess and in 10 days too 😉  Maybe see you at The Catch.

• Like 1

Just now, FancyPants21 said:

Me too 🙂

Are you on the Enchanted?  We are and made our reservations a few months ago, just one left to make onboard and that's our first night complementary specialty dining 😉

1 minute ago, azbirdmom said:

Failure to use is very different than being denied use of a specialty restaurant which is what the OP was asking about.  You can't just say I'm not going to use this or that and get a refund as everything listed is part of a package.  But if Princess promises 2 specialty dinners and wasn't able to fulfill that I would definitely be at GS asking for a refund.  Now fulfilling it may mean that you get a reservation at 9 PM at a restaurant that isn't to your liking, that's the breaks.  But no room at any specialty restaurant for you would warrant OBC.  Up to you if you don't want to go down that path if it happens to you.

I don't expect it to happen to us tbh. Especially as we board early and can get to make bookings on board quite early on day 1. But someone else might not be so lucky. If it did happen to me then I'd be happy with anything they could find.

• Like 1