Please help. Have questions for Mediterranean cruise

We are going on 10 day princess cruise. 
stops Rome calgiari Malta Dubrovnik. Montenegro corfu.  What stops do we have to get tours and which ports can we walk.  Want to save as much money as possible.  Also after cruise staying at a hotel in room. What is the best way to get from civittavecchia to a Rome hotel.  Please help.   Does anyone know private tour companies that are well priced and reliable and are there tours you would recommend in these cities.  Don’t want to use cruise ship tours.  Too expensive thanks 

Hi, & welcome.

I see you've already found the Ports-of-Call boards  on Cruise Critic.

There's stax of info already on those boards.

For each destination, go to the appropriate board (let's say Italy), and in the little "search" box (right-hand end of the blue banner) type in the name of the port or city (let's say Rome). Leave "this forum" as it is, and click on the little spyglass at the end of the search box.

Give the magic a few seconds to work and you'll end up with all the posts on that board which mention Rome https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=Rome&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=464

Do the same with the other destinations.

Gotta go out now, others will chime in & I'll put in my four eggs later

JB🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, espa99999 said:

We are going on 10 day princess cruise. 
stops Rome calgiari Malta Dubrovnik. Montenegro corfu.  What stops do we have to get tours and which ports can we walk.  Want to save as much money as possible.  Also after cruise staying at a hotel in room. What is the best way to get from civittavecchia to a Rome hotel.  Please help.   Does anyone know private tour companies that are well priced and reliable and are there tours you would recommend in these cities.  Don’t want to use cruise ship tours.  Too expensive thanks 

All those questions can be answered by a little research on the ports boards.

It is exceptionally rare that you can't use a private tour company in a port. The ports boards contain many recommendations for tours in each port. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, espa99999 said:

Cagliari Malta Dubrovnik. Montenegro Corfu.

I think you already asked about these ports back in early March and were given a number of useful replies, including a recommendation to join any Roll Call for your sailing and to read past threads, to which you were given links for each.

The first three of your ports(four if your Montenegro is Kotor) are all easy DIYwith some pre-trip homework, Corfu, you might want to consider a taxi tour as these are popular on this scenic island and you could share the cost with others, perhaps from your Roll Call? Should you decide to do one, best to pre-arrange and not leave it to chance at the dock. Do check your Roll Call as others may have already arranged one and are looking for others like yourselves to share with them.

As JB has already pointed out, you can easily and quickly find past threads on all of them by using the SEARCH tool under your user name.  You can then decide which to read and many will have lots of info and tips for the easiest and cheapest  DIY sightseeing..

One thing to add about the search tool. Do not go to an individual thread, stay on the main forum to carry out your search.

ADDED
I think you already asked about these ports back in early March and were given a number of useful replies, including a recommendation to join any Roll Call for your sailing and to read past threads, to which you were given links to past CC threads for each of your ports. All you had to do was read them. Asking again will bring the same advice, nothing different or new.

Edited by edinburgher

Also, you can find the roll call for your cruise and see if there are any fellow passengers who have booked private tours and are looking for others to join.

Posted (edited)

Apologies for messing up my post # 4 when I added a new paragraph at the end which was similar to the first one, only discovering I did so when it was too late to edit.

Edited by edinburgher

Posted (edited)

I recommend you do some reading and research first.  I usually start at the local library, then the internet to narrow things down, then ask for specific information you can't find elsewhere.  Then come back to us with specific questions.  Keep in mind that it will help with advice if you describe yourself and your way-of-going.  My idea of a good SE may not be what you would like.  

Edited by jsn55
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

For a port-of-call visit to Rome, by train from Civitavecchia is pretty simple - free port shuttle to port gate, payable (pennies) bus from port gate the train station, cheap return tickets for the over-subscribed direct regional trains with the options of getting off at Roma S Pietro (for Vatican) or Roma Ostiense (for Circo Massimo, the Colosseum, the Forum etc ) or at Roma Termini station.

But this isn't a port-of-call for you. You'd have luggage on two buses, luggage on a train packed with cruisers, and then have to get from station to hotel. A private trnsfer is what you need. https://www.romeinlimo.com/  is highly rated by Cruise Critic members 

Dubrovnik The port is a couple of miles from the walled city, you'll need transportation.

There's a local bus service (sorry, don't know the details) or ship's over-priced shuttle service to Pila Gate, the most convenient entrance to the walled city ("over-priced" shuttle bus but it's easy and the price difference is small-beer).

Last time we negotiated a taxi at the ship's berth to the cablecar station at the top of Mount Srd, had a couple of beers or coffees with a panoramic view, then bought one-way cablecar tickets down to the walled city. Years back we "walked the walls" - highly recommended.

No need for a tour - just transport from & to the ship. But the city gets pretty crowded. Croatia's currency is now the Euro.

Kotor. You might be berthed at the pier or tendered - tenders go to the cruise pier. It's 100 yards via an underpass under the main road) to the historic town centre. Very pleasant. Consider a boat trip to Our Lady of the Rocks or hop-on bus to Perast - tickets sold on the pier or in the underpass.

No need for a tour.

The sail-in is glorious. Or if you're as lazy as us, the sail-out is the same.

Corfu. Simplest & cheapest is the frequent local bus from port gate to the town centre (about 10 minutes). Two castles (strictly-speaking I think its a castle & a fort), shops, bars etc. Probably the best of your ports for shopping.

There's more to Corfu than the town, but you'd need a tour or rented car.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

Some excellent responses already.  

Malta (Valetta) you can walk to the old town.  Avoid the steep hill by taking the elevator up.  I'm sure folks will be able to point it out to you.  

Posted (edited)

If you forgot you already asked, or don’t know how to find your previous thread, just tap on your username or avatar and it will bring up your profile and the previous threads you started or replied to.  If you start a thread and then don’t return to read replies for days or weeks, it may have moved back many pages, as these boards can move fast.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The OP was given all of the above information first time around, including links to past threads for EVERY port  (post #6) and a recommendation to join any RC

.https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2995576-island-princess-cruise-aug-152024-help/#comment-67031727

I added the last paragraph on this thread post #4 to reflect that, and also said

All you had to do was read them. Asking again will bring the same advice, nothing different or new.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1