Question: Port Stop In Lahaina

shipndip60

Kona is also a great place to book a snorkeling trip to Kealakekua Bay, in my opinion one of the best snorkeling spots in Hawaii. It is like swimming in an aquarium.

Sadly, the Manago Hotel was recently sold earlier this year.  My son-in-law's family is the Manago's.  The restaurant will continue to operate, but under new ownership.  Agree...."had" the best Pork Chops ever.  Can't say what the menu will be like.

I have tried the Kona Chips.  It's missing childhood memories.  Just NOT the same.

Each island has its own special foods.  

2 hours ago, Teechur said:

On the Big Island, you can find this type of chips at "Kona Chips" in the village of Captain Cook, just outside of Kona. Crunchy and greasy. We always stock up when they are open.

Home | Kona Chips

KONA CHIPS, Captain Cook - Restaurant Reviews, Photos & Phone Number - Tripadvisor

Also, not to be missed, is the historic Manago Hotel nearby. It's an old Japanese boarding house/restaurant. Their dining room serves meals that are cheap, delicious, and famous. (Walk-ins welcome.) Pork chops are their biggest seller, and food is served "family style".

They are closed Sun, Mon, & Tuesday. I just extended my upcoming trip to Kona by a day so we can go there. Comfort food in a cool environment.

Restaurant – Manago Hotel

MANAGO HOTEL & RESTAURANT, Captain Cook - Menu, Prices & Restaurant Reviews - Tripadvisor

If your cruise ship stops in Kona, this would be a fun adventure by Uber or rental car. I think you can also get there on the island's free bus system, although it might be slow.

Bon Appetit! 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 9:40 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Don't forget that Costco Hawaii has items not found at other Costcos.  Worth a visit in Honolulu, Lihue, or Kahului.  

"Free Shipping" back to the continent.

How do you get things shipped? Buy them and take them to the service desk? Buy them online( which you could do from anywhere)?

3 minutes ago, chamima said:

How do you get things shipped? Buy them and take them to the service desk? Buy them online( which you could do from anywhere)?

I'm sorry my humor got in the way.  By "free" shipping, I literally mean using Princess to transport goods back to the mainland.

I've done that in the past.  I've used Princess cruises to "ship" things from my house in California to HNL (my daughter's).  This came to a stop when security made me fill out a custom's form and have an interview with a CBP agent upon arriving in HNL and before getting off the ship.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Sadly, the Manago Hotel was recently sold earlier this year.  My son-in-law's family is the Manago's.  The restaurant will continue to operate, but under new ownership.  Agree...."had" the best Pork Chops ever.  Can't say what the menu will be like.

I have tried the Kona Chips.  It's missing childhood memories.  Just NOT the same.

Each island has its own special foods.  

That is disappointing, and no mention of it at their website.

Not sure if we will go there after all... 😢

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teechur said:

That is disappointing, and no mention of it at their website.

Not sure if we will go there after all... 😢

My sister mentioned it to me.  I had to go to a primary source (direct descendent) to verify. Lucky sister was there in January and had the pork chops.  Even she (local) said it was the best she's ever had.  

You "have to" go and see if it is the same.  I think the turn over was March 1st...or at least that's when the family gathered at the hotel for something.

9 hours ago, phabric said:

I am on Ruby Sept 29-Oct 15, 2024 return San Francisco. Yesterday, I received an email from Princess with itinerary changes, Lahaina (Maui) changed to Kahului 8am-7pm.  The other ports were switched around.

I had an excursion booked for Lahaina (Maui) and it was refunded,  New excursions will be posted within the next few weeks for Kahului.   The other ports excursions were carried over to the switched ports dates.

We are on Grand Princess to Hawaii out of LA. Our sail dates are the same as yours, Sept 29- Oct 15th. Our cruise is still showing a stop in Lahaina, which we know is incorrect. Still no email from Princess. Would you share your updated itinerary? I looked at the website HawaiiPortCall and it shows a very different itinerary for Grand than the one Princess is currently showing for our cruise.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Kona is also a great place to book a snorkeling trip to Kealakekua Bay, in my opinion one of the best snorkeling spots in Hawaii. It is like swimming in an aquarium.

Kona is also great for scuba diving…few sandy beaches & lots of old lava flows that ended at the ocean resulting in great clarity. If I was there overnight would do the nighttime Manta Ray dive again…my most amazing underwater experience ever. 😃

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jrobinso said:

We are on Grand Princess to Hawaii out of LA. Our sail dates are the same as yours, Sept 29- Oct 15th. Our cruise is still showing a stop in Lahaina, which we know is incorrect. Still no email from Princess. Would you share your updated itinerary? I looked at the website HawaiiPortCall and it shows a very different itinerary for Grand than the one Princess is currently showing for our cruise.

Thank you.

Ruby Sept 29-Oct 15 roundtrip from San Francisco.  New itinerary emailed from Princess.

Sept 30-Oct 3 are sea days

IMG_1502.png

IMG_1501.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

We just received the below notification for our April of 2025 voyage on the 32-day, Sapphire South Pacific cruise.

Please be advised that due to operational considerations, Sapphire Princess will no longer call to Lahaina, Hawaii on Monday, April 14, 2025 and will instead call to Kona, Hawaii from 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM on this day.

Wow!  A completely different island!  

We just called on Kahului last week, and rented a car to see the island.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Wow!  A completely different island!  

We just called on Kahului last week, and rented a car to see the island.

We're scheduled to stop in Lahaina in November this year and have not heard a word about a change which of course will be happening?

18 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

We just received the below notification for our April of 2025 voyage on the 32-day, Sapphire South Pacific cruise.

Please be advised that due to operational considerations, Sapphire Princess will no longer call to Lahaina, Hawaii on Monday, April 14, 2025 and will instead call to Kona, Hawaii from 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM on this day.

I am on this cruise also.  I did not get an Email from Princess, but a forwarded Princess "itinerary change" PDF from my TA.  I figured it out easily as I expected a change, but was hoping for Kahului.  I checked and NCL Pride Of America is in port our day and they take priority.  So that is why we were sent to Kona.  I think ships that were scheduled for Lahaina are docking at Kahului when NCL Pride Of America is not in port.

• Like 2