Question: Port Stop In Lahaina

shipndip60

Posted (edited)

My understanding from some friends that live near there, that quite a few locals lacked insurance or even with insurance lack the resources to rebuild without substantial assistance. 

Due to the age and how it developed over time one of the big questions is how should the road layouts change instead of keeping all of the roads in place with their limitations.

How ever it turns out it will be forever changed and lacking the historical architecture and other elements that made it unique. 

Edited by TRLD
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

If you’re asking about the Lahaina Cannery Mall Safeway…it is open.

The mall was not damaged nor was the Lahaina Gateway center. Businesses makai of LCM also survived including the Old Lahaina Luau which has reopened. The Feast at Lele (505 Front Street) owned by the same company was destroyed by the firestorm.

image.thumb.png.e637dd0d07289ea52a609a089bf58a5c.png

5 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Makai = Ocean side (toward the ocean).

There is a Whole Foods and CVS/Longs at the Maui Mall.  You can catch a city bus to a Foodland not far away (about a mile if you want to walk it).

My story about the people of the Maui:

I walked across the street to the Maui Mall for my Guri Guri fix.  Could not find big bags of Maui Potato Chips so called the factory to find out where I could purchase them (not at Longs or Whole Foods).

Nice person/owner? on the other end of the call asked me how many bags I wanted.  If I waited at the mall....she would deliver them in a few minutes.

I tried to give her more for her troubles...she declined and gave me back exact change. 

thanks

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Don't forget that Costco Hawaii has items not found at other Costcos.  Worth a visit in Honolulu, Lihue, or Kahului.  

"Free Shipping" back to the continent.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

We are fortunate to have many happy memories of land vacations in Maui. We usually stayed in Kaanapali so we were also able enjoy Lahaina. Our last visit was on the Royal Princess in January of 2023. I was so eager to get out of the heat and back on the ship, sadly not knowing I’d never see Lahaina as it was ever again. 
We almost went to Kapalua last January but just couldn’t bear driving past the ruins of Lahaina. 
We docked in Kahului on the Volendam last November and walked about 10 minutes out the gate to rent a car from Avis (in a small hotel). Very reasonable and was really nice to be able to drive down to Paia, Makenna, etc. There are really a lot of options when docking in Kahului. 
I could be wrong but I think the Royal Class ships are too large to dock there? 

Edited by sunviking90

1 hour ago, marden1970 said:

Just now received an email with an itinerary change.  We are on the Ruby in December for the r/t S.F. to Hawaii.  The Lahaina stop has been changed to Kona.

That’s very disappointing…Maui needs the visitor industry’s help to financially recover.

There are so many businesses that are struggling to survive & too many that have closed. The only valid reason I can think about is a scheduling conflict with the interisland NCL Pride of America cruises. If possible it would be helpful if Princess were able to rearrange HI ports of call to avoid the day of the week when NCL is docked at what I think is the only pier available in Kahului for cruise ships.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, TRLD said:

My understanding from some friends that live near there, that quite a few locals lacked insurance or even with insurance lack the resources to rebuild without substantial assistance. 

Due to the age and how it developed over time one of the big questions is how should the road layouts change instead of keeping all of the roads in place with their limitations.

How ever it turns out it will be forever changed and lacking the historical architecture and other elements that made it unique. 

I have read that the majority of destroyed Lahaina residences did not have fire insurance which will be a major obstacle to rebuilding those homes unless FEMA finances the rebuilding. The state & county certainly don’t have deep enough pockets to fund the rebuild. Based on what I’ve read on local news sites, many of those destroyed homes had longtime multi generational residents & were mostly lower paid hardworking residents.

As bad as losing Front Street is it’s much worse for the residents of Lahaina. And things move slowly there & are even slower as the legalities & considering the desires of locals are addressed about the future of Lahaina.

This is not the first time that the close together wooden structures with narrow streets in Lahaina have burned. Over 100 years ago on New Years 1919 more than 30 Front Street wooden buildings were destroyed. After 1919 the fire issues were not addressed but would expect governments to not repeat that mistake resulting in a major renovation of Lahaina with more strict building & fire codes to prevent another devastating firestorm disaster.

https://imagesofoldhawaii.com/the-great-lahaina-fire-of-1919/

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I have read that the majority of destroyed Lahaina residences did not have fire insurance which will be a major obstacle to rebuilding those homes unless FEMA finances the rebuilding. The state & county certainly don’t have deep enough pockets to fund the rebuild. Based on what I’ve read on local news sites, many of those destroyed homes had longtime multi generational residents & were mostly lower paid hardworking residents.

As bad as losing Front Street is it’s much worse for the residents of Lahaina. And things move slowly there & are even slower as the legalities & considering the desires of locals are addressed about the future of Lahaina.

This is not the first time that the close together wooden structures with narrow streets in Lahaina have burned. Over 100 years ago on New Years 1919 more than 30 Front Street wooden buildings were destroyed. After 1919 the fire issues were not addressed but would expect governments to not repeat that mistake resulting in a major renovation of Lahaina with more strict building & fire codes to prevent another devastating firestorm disaster.

https://imagesofoldhawaii.com/the-great-lahaina-fire-of-1919/

I must say that I am pretty disappointed in a couple of the charities that raked in donations after the fire. Basically in how little of the money is going for those that directly lost homes and housing. That most of the money seems to be going to the same community programs that existed prior to the fire. Basically acting rather Red Cross like in collecting donations from a given crisis, then banking the money for activities else where. The never let a good crisis go to waste when it comes to fund raising.

Basically letting the federal programs do what they do and not going above those programs in providing additional funding or helping those that fall through the cracks of those programs.

If I can find a charity aimed at providing assistance in rebuilding to residents that have lost housing by providing funds directly or zero interest loans, that would be where any of my future donations would

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

The only valid reason I can think about is a scheduling conflict with the interisland NCL Pride of America cruises. If possible it would be helpful if Princess were able to rearrange HI ports of call to avoid the day of the week when NCL is docked at what I think is the only pier available in Kahului for cruise ships.

Pride is in Kahului 2 days a week.The cruise we are presently on moved our HNL stop from May 1st to the 2nd due to "port congestion". We had Moorea substituted for Kona. We are scheduled for a stop in Lahaina in Oct on the Coral, and Pride is in Kahului that day. The Coral is small enough to get into Nawiliwili and I hope that's where we go instead of Kona. In Lihue my go to is Hamura Saimin.

• Like 4

We just received an email with the schedule correction for Dec. 18 cruise.

“Please be advised that due to operational considerations, Ruby Princess will no longer call to Lahaina, Hawaii on Tuesday, December 24. Instead, we will now call to Kona, Hawaii arriving from 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM on that day.”

On 4/17/2024 at 2:50 PM, Teechur said:

Cruises won't be stopping at Lahaina, for probably 5-10 years. The town is a complete wreck and cleanup will take years, then planning and rebuilding.

Much of what was there will not be permitted in the future, including all of the businesses on the water-side of Front Street.

The fire created a once-in-a-century opportunity to bring the town up to modern building codes. Many people will lose all, or at least some of their property in the process.

It could just be optimism on their part, but Regent in February, 2026, has a stop scheduled for Lahaina.  Their January, 2026, stop is still in Kahului.

5 hours ago, TRLD said:

I must say that I am pretty disappointed in a couple of the charities that raked in donations after the fire. Basically in how little of the money is going for those that directly lost homes and housing. That most of the money seems to be going to the same community programs that existed prior to the fire. Basically acting rather Red Cross like in collecting donations from a given crisis, then banking the money for activities else where. The never let a good crisis go to waste when it comes to fund raising.

Basically letting the federal programs do what they do and not going above those programs in providing additional funding or helping those that fall through the cracks of those programs.

If I can find a charity aimed at providing assistance in rebuilding to residents that have lost housing by providing funds directly or zero interest loans, that would be where any of my future donations would

Folks I've talked to there seem to recommend the Hawaii Community Foundation Maui Strong Fund.  They have done a lot for the affected communities thus far and are continuing to help in several areas  https://www.hawaiicommunityfoundation.org/strengthening/maui-strong-fund .  In addition to contributing to them I've sent money to verifiable *****'s set up to support the employees of restaurants that we've frequented that were lost in the fire.  I started out by sending amounts that we would have tipped on our next visits but for some I sent a little more.  I think the best way to support the local economy is to plan a visit and shop local.  Seek out locally owned stores.  Book tours with locally owned businesses.  Visit craft fairs and buy gifts for friends and family (everyone on our Christmas list got gifts from Maui last year).  Tip servers well!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Folks I've talked to there seem to recommend the Hawaii Community Foundation Maui Strong Fund.  They have done a lot for the affected communities thus far and are continuing to help in several areas  https://www.hawaiicommunityfoundation.org/strengthening/maui-strong-fund .  In addition to contributing to them I've sent money to verifiable *****'s set up to support the employees of restaurants that we've frequented that were lost in the fire.  I started out by sending amounts that we would have tipped on our next visits but for some I sent a little more.  I think the best way to support the local economy is to plan a visit and shop local.  Seek out locally owned stores.  Book tours with locally owned businesses.  Visit craft fairs and buy gifts for friends and family (everyone on our Christmas list got gifts from Maui last year).  Tip servers well!

That is a actually one of the ones I donated to and am disappointed with based upon the information I have received from them since the fire. They do good community services but it seems to be the same services as before the fire. A lot of money still sitting and looks like what is being spent is funding the same things as before.  Very Red Cross type behavior.

I donated with the intent of my donations to go directly in support of the fire victims not just support their on going programs.

Edited by TRLD

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Makai = Ocean side (toward the ocean).

There is a Whole Foods and CVS/Longs at the Maui Mall.  You can catch a city bus to a Foodland not far away (about a mile if you want to walk it).

My story about the people of the Maui:

I walked across the street to the Maui Mall for my Guri Guri fix.  Could not find big bags of Maui Potato Chips so called the factory to find out where I could purchase them (not at Longs or Whole Foods).

Nice person/owner? on the other end of the call asked me how many bags I wanted.  If I waited at the mall....she would deliver them in a few minutes.

I tried to give her more for her troubles...she declined and gave me back exact change. 

In Kahului on Saturday with memoak. Where should look for the  Maui chips? Please, and mahalo!

I'm thinking of riding a public bus to go to the Marine Centre from Kahului. Is it encouraged or frowned upon for tourists to ride the buses? So economical!

Edited by CruzeQueen2
Revision

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

In Kahului on Saturday with memoak. Where should look for the  Maui chips? Please, and mahalo!

I'm thinking of riding a public bus to go to the Marine Centre from Kahului. Is it encouraged or frowned upon for tourists to ride the buses? So economical!

It's a really long bus ride (maybe 30 minutes), but I have never done it.  Maybe @Astro Flyerwould know.  There might even be a senior fare.   If you do this, give yourself PLENTY of time to get back to the ship.

Guri Guri has the small bags (not cheap).  Foodland is suppose to carry them.  You would think they would be in every store...not.  They don't have a long shelf life (eat now).  Greasy, crunchy, so good/so bad for you.

https://www.mauicounty.gov/609/Maui-Bus-Public-Transit-System

Looks like you can get the bus near the harbor (sample)

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Kahului/Maui-Ocean-Center#r/Line-29-bus

Editted:  Looks like an hour each way.  Plug in your date and time.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kahului+Harbor/@20.8515868,-156.5763686,12z/data=!4m27!1m20!4m19!1m6!1m2!1s0x7954d32ec1dbca0b:0x9bec5dc1d580588!2sKahului+Harbor,+VGXF%2BQV,+Kahului,+HI+96732!2m2!1d-156.4752777!2d20.8994444!1m6!1m2!1s0x7954d130a0c031b3:0xad1cd589958ba5c8!2sMaui+Ocean+Center,+The+Aquarium+of+Hawaii,+Maalaea+Road,+Wailuku,+HI!2m2!1d-156.5121616!2d20.7926322!2m3!6e0!7e2!8j1713519000!3e3!3m5!1s0x7954d32ec1dbca0b:0x9bec5dc1d580588!8m2!3d20.8994444!4d-156.4752777!16s%2Fg%2F11txjns95m?entry=ttu

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

It's a really long bus ride (maybe 30 minutes), but I have never done it.  Maybe @Astro Flyerwould know.  There might even be a senior fare.   If you do this, give yourself PLENTY of time to get back to the ship.

Guri Guri has the small bags (not cheap).  Foodland is suppose to carry them.  You would think they would be in every store...not.  They don't have a long shelf life (eat now).  Greasy, crunchy, so good/so bad for you.

https://www.mauicounty.gov/609/Maui-Bus-Public-Transit-System

Looks like you can get the bus near the harbor (sample)

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Kahului/Maui-Ocean-Center#r/Line-29-bus

Editted:  Looks like an hour each way.  Plug in your date and time.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kahului+Harbor/@20.8515868,-156.5763686,12z/data=!4m27!1m20!4m19!1m6!1m2!1s0x7954d32ec1dbca0b:0x9bec5dc1d580588!2sKahului+Harbor,+VGXF%2BQV,+Kahului,+HI+96732!2m2!1d-156.4752777!2d20.8994444!1m6!1m2!1s0x7954d130a0c031b3:0xad1cd589958ba5c8!2sMaui+Ocean+Center,+The+Aquarium+of+Hawaii,+Maalaea+Road,+Wailuku,+HI!2m2!1d-156.5121616!2d20.7926322!2m3!6e0!7e2!8j1713519000!3e3!3m5!1s0x7954d32ec1dbca0b:0x9bec5dc1d580588!8m2!3d20.8994444!4d-156.4752777!16s%2Fg%2F11txjns95m?entry=ttu

@cr8tiv1 mucho mahalo

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, for someone who loves salty greasy crunchy food and could care less about sweets this was devastating.  We make do with the Lay's Maui chips when visiting.  Not the same but still pretty ono.

• Like 3

I am on Ruby Sept 29-Oct 15, 2024 return San Francisco. Yesterday, I received an email from Princess with itinerary changes, Lahaina (Maui) changed to Kahului 8am-7pm.  The other ports were switched around.

I had an excursion booked for Lahaina (Maui) and it was refunded,  New excursions will be posted within the next few weeks for Kahului.   The other ports excursions were carried over to the switched ports dates.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Sad…too many longtime local businesses have closed. 😢

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

On the Big Island, you can find this type of chips at "Kona Chips" in the village of Captain Cook, just outside of Kona. Crunchy and greasy. We always stock up when they are open.

Home | Kona Chips

KONA CHIPS, Captain Cook - Restaurant Reviews, Photos & Phone Number - Tripadvisor

Also, not to be missed, is the historic Manago Hotel nearby. It's an old Japanese boarding house/restaurant. Their dining room serves meals that are cheap, delicious, and famous. (Walk-ins welcome.) Pork chops are their biggest seller, and food is served "family style".

They are closed Sun, Mon, & Tuesday. I just extended my upcoming trip to Kona by a day so we can go there. Comfort food in a cool environment.

Restaurant – Manago Hotel

MANAGO HOTEL & RESTAURANT, Captain Cook - Menu, Prices & Restaurant Reviews - Tripadvisor

If your cruise ship stops in Kona, this would be a fun adventure by Uber or rental car. I think you can also get there on the island's free bus system, although it might be slow.

Bon Appetit! 

Edited by Teechur
Added a link
  • Like 3

Just received the expected Email about Lahaina, finally!!!!.  Lahaina has been replaced with Kona.  I am very sad to see we will not be going to Maui at all.  I was hoping they might have us dock at Kahului.  NCL Pride of America seems to have priority.  Kona is not a favorite port for me

• Like 1

We just received the below notification for our April of 2025 voyage on the 32-day, Sapphire South Pacific cruise.

Please be advised that due to operational considerations, Sapphire Princess will no longer call to Lahaina, Hawaii on Monday, April 14, 2025 and will instead call to Kona, Hawaii from 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM on this day.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hpeabody said:

Just received the expected Email about Lahaina, finally!!!!.  Lahaina has been replaced with Kona.  I am very sad to see we will not be going to Maui at all.  I was hoping they might have us dock at Kahului.  NCL Pride of America seems to have priority.  Kona is not a favorite port for me

When life gives you lemons, add vodka!🍹

There is a lot to see and do in Kona. Two fun places to visit are the Kona Brewing Co. brewpub in Kona and the Manago Hotel in Captain Cook. It is the oldest restaurant in all of Hawaii. 

Last time I was there, we did the Keauhou Manta Ray snorkel trip. It was awesome. If your ship stays late or overnight, this is highly recommended.

Some suggestions: 

THE 15 BEST Things to Do in Kailua-Kona - 2024 (with Photos) - Tripadvisor

I agree with your post, but it's going to be a long time before anyone can stop in Lahaina again.

Edited by Teechur
Added a line.
  • Like 1