Dress Code for Men

Archipelago

One thing that always mystifies me on threads like this. There are clearly a lot of men who just don’t like wearing jackets, irrespective of the temperature. Why is this? What is wrong with them? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

One thing that always mystifies me on threads like this. There are clearly a lot of men who just don’t like wearing jackets, irrespective of the temperature. Why is this? What is wrong with them? 

I would suspect that there are a multitude of reasons why some men don't like wearing a jacket. Some that come to mind are;

• They do not have a jacket and object to buying one even though they have spent thousands on the cruise.
  • They are not used to wearing a jacket. In their current or pervious working lives they were not required to wear a jacket.
  • It is a generation thing - the older generation were brought up to wear jackets when going out whereas some of the younger generation think it's "cool" to not wear a jacket. Just look at some celebrities when attending events.
  • I'm on my holidays so I will do as I want!

Personally I prefer to wear a jacket but that is more to do with a medical condition that makes me more comfortable than any other reason.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

When you see the king removing his jacket at the table, and slinging over his chair, then we can all do it.

Until then, leave it 

I suggest you take it up with Cunard, jackets are optional, but best left in cabin if you don't want to wear one.

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

If the dress code said women had to wear jackets,  I expect there would be even more dissenters. 

• Like 1

Just now, Windsurfboy said:

I suggest you take it up with Cunard, jackets are optional, but best left in cabin if you don't want to wear one.

If the dress code said women had to wear jackets,  I expect there would be even more dissenters. 

Why? I ask again, temperature aside, what is wrong with jackets?

The whole idea behind men wearing suits and jackets is to establish a uniform look among us so the ladies accompanying us stand out with their elegant attire. Men shouldn’t be the focus of attention, dress-wise. 
I think old school dress code adherents miss that environment of uniformity onboard we had with the old Formal/Semi-Formal code. With a more open dress code, there’s too much variation causing a confused look. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, NE John said:

The whole idea behind men wearing suits and jackets is to establish a uniform look among us so the ladies accompanying us stand out with their elegant attire. Men shouldn’t be the focus of attention, dress-wise. 
I think old school dress code adherents miss that environment of uniformity onboard we had with the old Formal/Semi-Formal code. With a more open dress code, there’s too much variation causing a confused look. 

I always conform to the dress code, but clothes bore me, my own, anyway. I am more than happy to be eclipsed. 😀

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

It is not as comfortable as not wearing a jacket. 

I never found that when I regularly wore one for work, apart from the temperature issue, except in so far as it applies to any garment. But let’s not go there.

6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

What is the actual point of jackets?

somewhere to put stuff? Insulation? 

They don’t actually make much sense as an item of clothing. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Why? I ask again, temperature aside, what is wrong with jackets?

Nothing.

But there are folk that don't like jackets, or don't like ties, and probably other garments as well.

I'm just as comfortable wearing my jackets as not. I'm probably more comfortable with a jacket if the temperature drops below around 22C.

My jackets are not too tight; perhaps that could be an issue?

Edit: But then I don't like jumpers/sweaters etc.

Edited by D&N
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

What does?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

To my mind, they add an element of elegance, a completion if you like, if elegance can be ascribed to a chap! 🙂

I will be very interested to see how the dress code is interpreted on QA and if the more contemporary decor has any influence on the more traditional Cunard dress code.

• Like 1

While I am very Old School on the subject of dress (have a full closet of unworn gowns with tickets still attached that were purchased for a QM2 World Voyage that I wound up cancelling), I am remembering a TA that I took my elderly mother on. She was very tiny (probably 85 pounds soaking wet) and while she always dressed as warmly as possible while still looking elegant, she was frequently chilled in the QM2 dining room. The lovely British gentlemen at our table would often take turns removing their DJs to put over my mother’s shoulders, and I do hope that nobody judged them for removing their jackets. These men were so kind to my mother in every way.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

To my mind, they add an element of elegance, a completion if you like, if elegance can be ascribed to a chap! 🙂

I  think  when walking,  standing,  or dancing a Jacket is elegant,  but sitting down it looses it's elegance. So when going to dinner where 95% of time is sitting  if you want leave it in cabin.

However, Some people can be elegant without a jacket, for some a jacket is a must to make them slightly less inelegant. 

The NHS amongst others says that rather than BMI the better measure of healthiness (for men) is that your waist is less than half your height  , so a 6ft man should have a 34" waist. The same rule applies to elegance,  if you pass the waist test,  you can look elegant without a jacket. If your XXL shirt is straining at the seams , then a jacket is a must. I know  not a fashionable (PC) statement to make.

2 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I  think  when walking,  standing,  or dancing a Jacket is elegant,  but sitting down it looses it's elegance. So when going to dinner where 95% of time is sitting  if you want leave it in cabin.

However, Some people can be elegant without a jacket, for some a jacket is a must to make them slightly less inelegant. 

The NHS amongst others says that rather than BMI the better measure of healthiness (for men) is that your waist is less than half your height  , so a 6ft man should have a 34" waist. The same rule applies to elegance,  if you pass the waist test,  you can look elegant without a jacket. If your XXL shirt is straining at the seams , then a jacket is a must. I know  not a fashionable (PC) statement to make.

I fear those in the last category are those most likely to find jackets uncomfortable -  and possibly too hot, as well.

• Like 1

Jackets are optional/ many regular Cunard passengers wear them/when it's hot some remove them for fear of over heating/some passengers remove them for ease of eating.

but

when 'we' get down to talking BMI, height, waist and anything else remotely personal, 'we' are  utterly losing the plot!

Each to their own!!

We should all try our best and realize that we all play a part in creating an elegant and respectful environment around the ship in how we dress. For example, I think a black long-sleeved dress polo with nice trousers looks just as good as others wearing a jacket. I like a turtleneck sweater under a jacket look too. 
Making an effort in dressing shows respect for yourself and towards others. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NE John said:

We should all try our best and realize that we all play a part in creating an elegant and respectful environment around the ship in how we dress. For example, I think a black long-sleeved dress polo with nice trousers looks just as good as others wearing a jacket. I like a turtleneck sweater under a jacket look too. 
Making an effort in dressing shows respect for yourself and towards others. 

Just shows how different we all are as I think a long sleeved black polo shirt [do they even exist?] would look awful so lets all agree to disagree, be mindful of advisories and accept the fact interpretation is all and even though  some might not like others' interpretations, it doesn't mean they're wrong as far as the loose Cunard guidelines are concerned.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Just shows how different we all are as I think a long sleeved black polo shirt [do they even exist?] would look awful so lets all agree to disagree, be mindful of advisories and accept the fact interpretation is all and even though  some might not like others' interpretations, it doesn't mean they're wrong as far as the loose Cunard guidelines are concerned.

I’m still wearing a jacket! 

3 hours ago, procrastiknitter said:

While I am very Old School on the subject of dress (have a full closet of unworn gowns with tickets still attached that were purchased for a QM2 World Voyage that I wound up cancelling), I am remembering a TA that I took my elderly mother on. She was very tiny (probably 85 pounds soaking wet) and while she always dressed as warmly as possible while still looking elegant, she was frequently chilled in the QM2 dining room. The lovely British gentlemen at our table would often take turns removing their DJs to put over my mother’s shoulders, and I do hope that nobody judged them for removing their jackets. These men were so kind to my mother in every way.

No gentleman would ever judge them—negatively—for keeping a lady comfortable with their jackets. (And here’s one thing, if asking, “What’s the point of wearing a jacket?”)

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

33 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Just my answer to the jacket police.

I think you're plucking numbers out of mid air. 😀

If you had said; so a 6ft (72") man should have a 35.99" or less waist, I'd agree.

Ideally folk should have a BMI towards the mid range for their height, and a waist measurement of less than half their height. I don't think I've ever met anyone who exceeds one but not the other. Perhaps a professional weightlifter?

Generally someone who is not clinically overweight will look better in any outfit.

If jackets are not required, and you don't like wearing them, simply leave them at home.

Are you suggesting I should have taken the jacket off while having my aperitif?

2022-06-0120-02-27398PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.339926be46a57965dbe7c803a223c23b.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, D&N said:

I think you're plucking numbers out of mid air. 😀

If you had said; so a 6ft (72") man should have a 35.99" or less waist, I'd agree.

Ideally folk should have a BMI towards the mid range for their height, and a waist measurement of less than half their height. I don't think I've ever met anyone who exceeds one but not the other. Perhaps a professional weightlifter?

Generally someone who is not clinically overweight will look better in any outfit.

If jackets are not required, and you don't like wearing them, simply leave them at home.

Are you suggesting I should have taken the jacket off while having my aperitif?

Are you suggesting I should have taken the jacket off while having my aperitif?

Never—that would be such a shame!

Edited by rmsEtruria
Remove duplicate verbiage