Dress Code for Men

Archipelago

2 minutes ago, King Amo said:

And don't get anyone started on whether trousers can be made of denim etc. 

And, if you take that at face value, a Scotsman would be fine for formal nights in a kilt (national dress), but on informal nights would need trousers. Infinite holes can be picked, as with any distinctions of this sort.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Except the term dress shirt is unclear, meaning something different depending on where you are. 

Well if anyone... in the English speaking world thinks a "polo" shirt is a "dress shirt" by any definition.. they would be wrong.  It is not. Never has been. Everyone has the right to fudge, to obscure but to not to twist the English (be it British or American) language into a pretzel of his or her own making. 

• Like 2

I do think Cunard have chosen to be deliberately vague on the "What to pack" page of the US website when it comes to describing the Gala Evening dress code (emphasis mine).

"At least twice on each seven-night voyage we’ll host a Gala Evening, where we do ask that you observe an elevated dress code."

There isn't much more than that available on the main Cunard US website about the Gala Evening dress code other than a link to "Theme ideas". At least those of you in the UK have the "Formal dresses" and "Formal suits" sections (with the "James Bond" reference) I mentioned earlier to provide some further guidance.

Once you've booked, My Cunard still provides this earlier description of the Gala Evening dress code.

"At least twice on each seven-night voyage we’ll host a Gala Evening, where we do ask that you observe a black-tie dress code."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluemarble said:

I do think Cunard have chosen to be deliberately vague on the "What to pack" page of the US website when it comes to describing the Gala Evening dress code (emphasis mine).

"At least twice on each seven-night voyage we’ll host a Gala Evening, where we do ask that you observe an elevated dress code."

There isn't much more than that available on the main Cunard US website about the Gala Evening dress code other than a link to "Theme ideas". At least those of you in the UK have the "Formal dresses" and "Formal suits" sections (with the "James Bond" reference) I mentioned earlier to provide some further guidance.

Once you've booked, My Cunard still provides this earlier description of the Gala Evening dress code.

"At least twice on each seven-night voyage we’ll host a Gala Evening, where we do ask that you observe a black-tie dress code."

Is that really all it says? What about women?

Just now, WantedOnVoyage said:

Well if anyone... in the English speaking world thinks a "polo" shirt is a "dress shirt" by any definition.. they would be wrong.  It is not. Never has been. Everyone has the right to fudge, to obscure but to not to twist the English (be it British or American) language into a pretzel of his or her own making. 

I never said it was a dress shirt. I was reinforcing @exlondoner's comment about dress shirt meaning different things to different nationalities.  Quite possibly Cunard removed it from on board guidance because of this.

...and the on board guide as has been pointed out says "collared shirt"

A polo shirt is a " collared shirt" as it...has a collar and is a shirt. You say that we should not twist the English language and I'm not - I'm being quite literal

You wear what you want and I will wear what I want. Both of us will be complying with the onboard dress requirements. If you get upset by people not dressing to the standard you think they should, then that is your problem.

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

Is that really all it says? What about women?

Yes, that's just about all there is for the Gala Evening dress code description on the Cunard US website. I'll post the complete wording. I think this is identical to the Cunard UK website expect the "Formal dresses" and "Formal suits" sections no longer appear on the US site.

"At least twice on each seven-night voyage we’ll host a Gala Evening, where we do ask that you observe an elevated dress code. Again, it’s your choice whether to participate in these evenings or not. Many of our guests choose to sail with us specifically because they look forward to these events.

Gala Evenings follow one of a few themes, with voyages of seven nights or more offering a chance to attend more than one. You’ll find many nods to these themes throughout the ship, so you'll want a wardrobe to match. Click below for our advice; whether you want to put on a show or give the theme a more subtle nod with an embellishment or accessory, the choice is yours.

Theme Ideas"

The "Theme Ideas" link does offer some suggestions for the themes the same as on the UK site so that is something further at least.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Yes, that's just about all there is for the Gala Evening dress code description on the Cunard US website. I'll post the complete wording. I think this is identical to the Cunard UK website expect the "Formal dresses" and "Formal suits" sections no longer appear on the US site.

"At least twice on each seven-night voyage we’ll host a Gala Evening, where we do ask that you observe an elevated dress code. Again, it’s your choice whether to participate in these evenings or not. Many of our guests choose to sail with us specifically because they look forward to these events.

Gala Evenings follow one of a few themes, with voyages of seven nights or more offering a chance to attend more than one. You’ll find many nods to these themes throughout the ship, so you'll want a wardrobe to match. Click below for our advice; whether you want to put on a show or give the theme a more subtle nod with an embellishment or accessory, the choice is yours.

Theme Ideas"

The "Theme Ideas" link does offer some suggestions for the themes the same as on the UK site so that is something further at least.

Actually, while offensive in terms of equality, it does make it even easier for women. So much easier than for men,

Easiest dress code I have ever experienced on a voyage was First Class in Costa Line's EUGENIO C., Rio to Genoa: it was formal dress every single night at sea (10 days across I recall) and for gentlemen, it was almost a "uniform" and what man doesn't like that? For the ladies, it was a challenge and I swear most managed to wear something different and distinctive every single night.  The mountains of luggage that came off in Barcelona and Genoa showed how that was accomplished.

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Actually, while offensive in terms of equality, it does make it even easier for women. So much easier than for men,

Basically  there is no dress code for women,  except for the, not shorts ir swim wear rule,  they can wear what they deem appropriate. 

This works .

Perhaps cunard think men are inherently lazier (clothes wise) and scruffier, may be quite rightly 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

One thing that have been argued about are very clear.

Jackets are completely optional, and not included in dress code 

Only on Smart Attire evenings.

I really wish the Dress Code was clear, then we wouldn't need to keep having this discussion. 

Hopefully the OP had his question answered several pages ago.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I have a genuine question for the gents (and ladies) who don’t like to dress formally ‘because they’re on holiday’, who don’t want to buy suits or evening gowns out of principle or who want to just meet the minimum standard of the dress code. The vast majority of cruise lines are more laid back, but Cunard is known for traditional elegance, Gala evenings and White glove service. If this is not your thing, why choose Cunard?
I’m honestly interested in the answers. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Emma666 said:

I have a genuine question for the gents (and ladies) who don’t like to dress formally ‘because they’re on holiday’, who don’t want to buy suits or evening gowns out of principle or who want to just meet the minimum standard of the dress code. The vast majority of cruise lines are more laid back, but Cunard is known for traditional elegance, Gala evenings and White glove service. If this is not your thing, why choose Cunard?
I’m honestly interested in the answers. 

I think the discussion here was about how smart - I doubt there are many who go on Cunard not expecting to dress up

Quite possible to enjoy putting on a DJ on holiday - (of course it's a holiday) - and I also think the discussion was almost exclusively for dress code on non-gala nights

Apart from that...what attracted me to Cunard was partly history, partly because the ships seem so much nicer than most other ships and are not full of garishness and climbing walls etc. 

But I guess the main thing that got me on Cunard in the first place was the idea of a crossing on QM2 - there's no other way to do it properly (and I loved everything about it - oh - the talks were a bit disappointing). And now I'm trying QA in June as a second go (and have booked QM2 again for Sep 26 for a New England cruise)

Edited by buchanan101
spelling
  • Like 1

I'm not sure I've seen anyone posting in this thread who meet much of that description to be honest. The discussion has been around interpretation of the 'Smart attire' dress code. 

I guess as someone who would not ideally want to have to wear a jacket on such nights (but would if it were the dress code), I could consider myself an intended target. 

I have sailed with many different lines over the years (from memory Orient Lines once, Cunard three times - twice on the QE2 when informal nights meant jacket and tie, Celebrity three times, Royal Caribbean twice, P&O twice, and Thomson once), and each one offered something different, with only the now defunct Thomson being not really for me. I even got married at sea. I'm more than happy to meet the dress code of whatever ship I'm sailing on, and do not think it's fair or correct to define a line because of it, or make the issue a defining factor in the choice of cruise line. I like to dress presentably in the evening (I hesitate to use the word smartly, as this is what causes this mess in the first place), but for me that doesn't need to include a jacket at all times, which is something that clearly Cunard agree with outside of the gala evenings. 

I've participated in this thread because I feel that the expectations of some guests and posters on this forum are unrealistic and risk putting people off sailing with Cunard, which is a shame for both prospective guests and for the line itself, which needs to sustain itself for the long term. Part of the issue, as I've said, is Cunard's terminology and inconsistency of language, which leads to potential misunderstandings and grey areas, but many of these issues are not helped by the views of some who imply that there is some form of unwritten higher dress code that would make certain people feel underdressed and letting the side down. I want as many people as possible to experience what Cunard offer, and feel welcome onboard. 

In answer to the question though, I chose Cunard for this latest cruise, which is in the summer across the Med, predominantly due the ports of call and the availability of space for my 13 year old son, as capacity for children within the various age groups is a real issue unless you book years in advance. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@King Amo Absolutely spot on. Couldn't have said it better myself - it's the insistence by some of the "unwritten higher dress code" that I find a bit irritating. And pompous.

I've not noticed anyone on board disapproving of what others are wearing - though I'm not the most observant person and maybe there are some who sit quietly fuming? 

Looking at it the other way round. The smart dress code is one of the reasons we booked Cunard. On our previous line the dress code was very relaxed. While I wasn’t bothered what other people were wearing, I wanted to be in an atmosphere that was a little more formal. Was really pleased when we looked into Cunard and found it to match up to what we were looking for. 

• Like 2

Sorry to prolong this and I agree with much of the above and realize no one here is trying to flaunt the dress code but to make the best of whatever Cunard is trying to say. I also love the history of Cunard and ocean travel. I also believe a guy could look smart both with and without a jacket. I personally feel more comfortable in a jacket. 

However…my concern about this issue is that I see firsthand in NYC Wall St offices (Wall St used to be the best dressed industry) that the idea of business dress is has evaporated, from all ages of employees. Khakis and fleece vests are very common now and these guys look like they’re ready for a camping trip, not ready to manage money or close deals. The atmosphere of professionalism is lacking.
I also went to a recent Easter brunch at a high-end NYC hotel and a significant % of the patrons dressed in sweats and T-shirts, like they just rolled out of bed.  Whatever nice atmosphere I expected for Easter brunch wasn’t there. 
So my fear, and the fear of many longer time Cunard pax, is that the special atmosphere created via a higher level of dress on Cunard vessels could be lost. I too remember on my first crossing that the first night onboard was casual then either semi-formal and formal going forward; it was a simple dress code. So I mainly blame Cunard for creating a mish-mash of a dress code (different wordings in US and UK, and then once onboard). Their wording confuses pax and makes it impossible for any M’d to enforce. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1